#1 chili1496

chili1496

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Hope someone can help me here.

i have the xsara picasso and a tomtom go 520 on e of the older models with a multi position suction mount, now since i have had the picasso i quite like placing it on the front side quarter window, rather than slap bang in the windscreen.

now recently i am thinking of upgrading my tomtom to one of the new models that have the integrated stand namely the start 60 6" screen model however i am not sure if this will fit on the side window and still be able to face me in a landscape view.....does that make sense?

anyone got one and does it fit this way?

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Have a look, and handle one, at one at Halfords. You don't have to buy there.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#3 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, woder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7589 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

Lets face it the Sat Nav is a modern must have (even though it not needed to go to work everyday - like some use it). Most car makers, for some reason, feel that they have to sell the display with the car, and to assist them doing that they make it difficult to put your sucker pad where the lead supplied will reach and the unit will still be within reach. The dash having no flat srfcaes to attach a plate The Citroen range with its big screens that are far away make this difficult.

On my C3 I fitted a small round mirror in the tray above the radio and stuck the Garmin  unit in there, it worked well.

On the C4 pic I had to put my Navman unit on the side window, however the other half didn't like that as she couldn't see it. Lead was just long enough.

On C3Pic the lead again only just allows the unit to be on the side screen. But can't put a mirror in the tray as unit is bigger and the gear knob obscures it.

So whats the fix. Well there are small heavy bean bag devices http://compare.ebay....type=pla&crdt=0 that sit on the dash top and hold the sat nav available, this way it's withingreach of the power and the other front seat occupant can see it.  Xsara Pics have a reflective screen and some sat navs don't pick up the signals very well through them.  It's time that car makers put a power socket on the dash top.

62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#4 pete39

pete39

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:F1 motor racing. Gardening. Eating out. Holidays. Reading. Single Malt. Other car is a 1970 MGB GT.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hi,

I have a 2.0 lt HDI 53 Plate Picasso and found the same problem with my Tom Tom 910 GO. The side window was not really an option and the front screen was too far away, plus leaving the mount in place or leaving the ring mark it left gave the little scroates a giveaway that there might be a sat nav in the glovebox,result broken window !! I got round this by removing the top shroud on the steering wheel and drilling a 1/4 " hole in the top centre, and affixed a small ball and socket joint the type you can use to fix speakers in a home cinema set up and then getting a suction mount fitting I  removed the suction mount at the moveable joint leaving you with the electric connector. I cut off the  plastic ball joint, opened the two halves and drilled a 1/4 " hole in the bottom half, and attached the two with a 1/4" bolt ensuring that the bolt head didn't touch the elctric cicuit board. Result a secure unit that is within your eyeline of the road ahead and easily concealed or pressing the release, removed, the connection covered with gloves, scarf whatever. mine has beeen there for four years without a problem.      Attached File  100_1367.JPG   127.86KB   73 downloads  Attached File  100_1368.JPG   165.29KB   79 downloads  Attached File  100_1370.JPG   113.42KB   66 downloadsAttached File  100_1371.JPG   114.45KB   54 downloads

#5 pete39

pete39

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:F1 motor racing. Gardening. Eating out. Holidays. Reading. Single Malt. Other car is a 1970 MGB GT.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hi,

I have a 2.0 lt HDI 53 Plate Picasso and found the same problem with my Tom Tom 910 GO. The side window was not really an option and the front screen was too far away,I got round this by removing the top shroud on the steering wheel, drilling a 1/4 " hole in the top centre, and attached a small flatbased wall speaker mount. Using an old Tom Tom suction mount I removed the suction cap at the moveable joint and cut off the plastic ball joint leaving you with just the electric connector. I seperated the two halves and drilled a 1/4 " hole in the bottom half and secured it to the speaker mount ensuring that the bolt passing thro the shroud, the speaker mount base and into the electric connector head didn't touch the circuit board within. Re-attaching the top shroud I then ran the cable up from the cigarette lighter up under the knee panel and out under the rubber at the front of the shroud into the connector. Result a secure unit that is within your eyeline of the road ahead and easily concealed, or by pressing the release, is removed. The connection, if Sat Nav is removed, can be covered with gloves, scarf whatever detrius you have in your car, mine has beeen there for four years without a problem. Attached File  100_1367.JPG   127.86KB   73 downloads Attached File  100_1368.JPG   165.29KB   79 downloads Attached File  100_1370.JPG   113.42KB   66 downloadsAttached File  100_1371.JPG   114.45KB   54 downloads

#6 pete39

pete39

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hi,

I have a 2.0 lt HDI 53 Plate Picasso and found the same problem with my Tom Tom 910 GO. The side window was not really an option and the front screen was too far away, plus leaving the mount in place or leaving the ring mark it left gave the little scroates a giveaway that there might be a sat nav in the glovebox,result broken window !! I got round this by removing the top shroud on the steering wheel and drilling a 1/4 " hole in the top centre, and affixed a small ball and socket joint the type you can use to fix speakers in a home cinema set up and then getting a suction mount fitting I  removed the suction mount at the moveable joint leaving you with the electric connector. I cut off the  plastic ball joint, opened the two halves and drilled a 1/4 " hole in the bottom half, and attached the two with a 1/4" bolt ensuring that the bolt head didn't touch the elctric cicuit board. Result a secure unit that is within your eyeline of the road ahead and easily concealed or pressing the release, removed, the connection covered with gloves, scarf whatever. mine has beeen there for four years without a problem.      attachicon.gif100_1367.JPG  attachicon.gif100_1368.JPG  attachicon.gif100_1370.JPGattachicon.gif100_1371.JPG

#7 chili1496

chili1496

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

while i think this is a pretty good fix i will not do it, reason is it would do my head in as it is not clean enough if you know what i mean, maybe i suffer from ocd lol

#8 pete39

pete39

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Dont quite see what you mean by "not clean enough"   have you tried cleaning the screen of your PC?

#9 chili1496

chili1496

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

M8 i am allowed an opinion and if you don't like it then tough! while you maybe happy with your tomtom mount i would on the other hand not be happy with it in my car. so lets not get all petty and start throwing dirt about, i also don't own a scarf or whatever to keep throwing over it

#10 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

When I bought my new TomTom from Halfrauds I was given some free wipes to clean the screen with!

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#11 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7589 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I think that 'not clean enough' was just a figure of speech. To chili1496 the conersion is not smart enough. Nothing to do with finger marks. The conversion is a good solution to a problem.

So come on chaps keep this site in the manner we like it agree to disagree bit put your handbags away.

Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#12 pete39

pete39

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

chili 1496,  I wasn't by any intention being "petty" as you say, and certainly not throwing dirt about,  it was a case of not really understanding your meaning. As for your remark about "maybe having OCD" if you had you would know about it and its certainly not a thing to put LOL about. Now, lets  put that to bed and  get back to our normal friendly responses to  our problems.  :rolleyes:

#13 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7589 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Well done sir.

#14 pilot

pilot

1.6Hdi 2005 Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Flying and drinking red wine. ( Not at the same time since I spilt a glass)
    Now driving 2013 Peugeot 2008 Allure EGS 1.6Hdi.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

I agree.Please gentlemen and gentlewomen please use standard English on this site ie.no sms slang or abbreviations, so that we all enjoy and understand what everyone is  talking about and we have nobody taking offence because they have misunderstood  a posting. I have noticed of late that some of the postings have become very "modern". Everyone endeavours to assist when a fellow owner is in trouble but please use standard terminology so that we all comprehend the problem. 

Posted Image

#15 chili1496

chili1496

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

by not clean enough, i meant it was not aesthetically pleaseing enough for me.

#16 pilot

pilot

1.6Hdi 2005 Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Flying and drinking red wine. ( Not at the same time since I spilt a glass)
    Now driving 2013 Peugeot 2008 Allure EGS 1.6Hdi.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I believe that you make my point. I am certain that no-one sets out to upset anyone, but the use of non-standard

english, however well meant ,may offend those of us who still can spell and use our language correctly. All you had to say was that you didn't like the look of it, then everyone would have known what you meant.

Posted Image

#17 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7589 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

anyway back to the subject matter:

C3 saloon

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d2b42eea4

Xsara early

http://www.ebay.co.u...d=400157765284

Xsara later

http://www.ebay.co.u...d=400157765284