5 replies to this topic

#1 faded-fish

faded-fish

1.6 Hdi (110) 2004 (54) Excl Med Blue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:18 AM

I have had a problem with the handbrake on my late 2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive - it is not releasing properly and is binding thereby causing the n/s rear wheel to get very hot when driven even short distances. I had a look at the brakes last night and found the following:

Attached File  03082011244.jpg   793.58KB   22 downloads

(The more perceptive of you will notice that this is actually the o/s rear but I couldn't get a decent picture of the n/s rear - the issue is the same on both sides)

Looking at the picture it appears that there should be some sort of spring on the handbrake mechanism - this is not there on either side. Could somebody confirm my suspicion of this? A quick look under the back of your Exclusive (or other Xsara Picasso with rear disks) should tell you. If anybody knows what spring should be there I would appreciate that too. Thanks :)
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving!!!

#2 stimulator

stimulator

20HDi SX Wicked Red, best colour for your money

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7195 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

Is this a case of the handbrake cables being too tight and need adjusting at the interior lever end. Seems strange that both are missing (if there should be any) I don't have a car with rear discs so cant look.
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#3 cris1117

cris1117

1.6hi 110 (2007) X-Picasso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

Hi.
No springs on mine and they don’t bind at all.

#4 wessex88

wessex88

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

I have had a problem with the handbrake on my late 2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive - it is not releasing properly and is binding thereby causing the n/s rear wheel to get very hot when driven even short distances. I had a look at the brakes last night and found the following:

Attached File  03082011244.jpg   793.58KB   22 downloads

(The more perceptive of you will notice that this is actually the o/s rear but I couldn't get a decent picture of the n/s rear - the issue is the same on both sides)

Looking at the picture it appears that there should be some sort of spring on the handbrake mechanism - this is not there on either side. Could somebody confirm my suspicion of this? A quick look under the back of your Exclusive (or other Xsara Picasso with rear disks) should tell you. If anybody knows what spring should be there I would appreciate that too. Thanks :)

There should be return springs on both sides attatched to the 2 hooks in the picture.
One of mine has just broken causing the cables to come off of the handbrake adjuster at the lever end.The spring is part of the caliper assembly and not available on it`s own.£135 + vat for a new spring!

#5 Variable Buzzard

Variable Buzzard

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:00 PM

I've just asked a question about this myself (missing springs) - and this thread seems to answer it. But there is no way that I am going to pay £135 to get a spring. Does anyone know if there's an easily available spring that does the trick and that can be bought separately?

#6 crickleymal

crickleymal

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:05 PM

Here you go http://uk.rs-online....ing&sra=oss&r=t or a search on ebay should find something similar. If you can work out roughly what length you need (or if someone can tell you the length and diameter) then they should be cheap enough. Or a visit to your local scrap merchant.

Malc

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.