#1 steveg

steveg

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hi

Just had car serviced and Mot'd and was told that front pads were very low and front discs were warn and "lipped" , cars done 55k and appears to be original disks fitted

What is a fair price to supply and fit pads and discs for a pic ?

Have had 2 quotes for independants both approx £190

Citreon dealer quoted £250 using genuine parts

Cheers Steve

#2 mcdig

mcdig

Med Blue HDI owners club

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3821 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

Mileage is about right for them to be worn. Buy them as a kit and do them yourself. Very easy to do and would cost in the region of £70-£80

Edited by mcdig, 15 April 2011 - 10:10 PM.

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

I had my disk's and pads done at my local for £120, my main dealer wanted £260....because of that I gave my local a £20 tip !!

#4 Ray_H

Ray_H

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

I've just been advised by my garage that I require new front discs - due to corrosion - on a 25 month old vehicle that has done a little over 14000 miles.

They don't think that this is unusual. I do!

Has anyone else experience of something similar?

Thanks.

Ray_H

#5 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7782 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:14 AM

Too many variable on this.

what sort of drving, were roads salty, does car get left out in the wet, has it been on a beach, do you use a pressure washer on it, do the wheels get cleaned with an acidic wash etc. etc.
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#6 Ray_H

Ray_H

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the response.

The car is basically used for Urban/Rural driving. Average single journey lengths are around 15 miles; with the return journey made approximately 4 times a week. Occasional local journeys; I prefer to walk where/when I can as I need the exercise! Even less frequently are long journeys - those in excess of 50 miles - as I don't enjoy driving.

There has been no known change of driving style/car usage over last 25 years. I've had several new cars in that period and generally keep them for about 3-4 years and have never had the problem before. I don't tend to drive/brake hard.

I suppose you could say that I do Standard British weather driving, with the car parked on the drive overnight in central England.

The car is washed at local hand wash, using pressure jet on wheels, no more than once per month.

I did manage to negotiate a £50 discount off the bill, but I'm still not happy as I think this is unacceptable. Will I have the same problem (and cost) again in 2 years?

#7 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7782 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

According to my Haynes Citroen C3 manual the max wear on a disc is only 2mm. Brake pad new is 13mm and worn out 2mm.

It will depend also on the friction material no asbestos allowed these days so they maybe hard and wear the disc. Having said that my C3 is 4 years old and done only 24000 miles but the pads and discs are well within tolerance.

having said that urban driving these days is accomplished by much braking due to traffic.
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#8 Ray_H

Ray_H

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

The discs required changing to stop juddering when the brakes were applied. According to the garage this was because the discs were corroded, not worn - and the pads were OK.

#9 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7782 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

A disc will corrode on the edges and the pads wear a portion of the disc from centre outwards where they rub. This will leave a ridge at he edge. This can be taken off, if rest of disc is thick enough.

#10 Guest_Phill love_*

Guest_Phill love_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

Our C3 has gone through 2 discs in 60k. It gets left for a week at a time between journeys. Paid £150 for pads and discs at Halfords but now got lifetime warranty. Well worth it as its obviously a weak point on them. Good car though only other fault we have had in 5 yrs was a water leak on the drivers side washer jet that took out an injector. Got a tip to seal in the jet no probs since. Phill.

#11 andyp1967

andyp1967

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Just been quoted £55 for a set of front discs and pads from my local car part supplier dont think this is too bad and they have quoted me £90 for the rear ones complete with bearings and pads

#12 Lapin127

Lapin127

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

At 23000 my C3 Pic will need new front discs and pads before I take it in for the annual Dealer service (don't want them to charge dealer prices for discs & pads!). £55 seems a very low price - I usually get OE discs and pads from Euro Car Parts.

#13 granpa

granpa

1.6hdi C4 pic Anodised yellow [gold]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Our C3 has gone through 2 discs in 60k. It gets left for a week at a time between journeys. Paid £150 for pads and discs at Halfords but now got lifetime warranty. Well worth it as its obviously a weak point on them. Good car though only other fault we have had in 5 yrs was a water leak on the drivers side washer jet that took out an injector. Got a tip to seal in the jet no probs since. Phill.

Halfords may state lifetime warranty is against manufacturing defects not wear and tear, check the smallprint

#14 GlynnR

GlynnR

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle weather permitting. Modified F150 xlt Triton.
    Days away with family.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Small disc and pads on what is a fairly heavy vehicle for its size. Lots of people make the mistake of after breaking and coming to a stop they keep the foot pressed on the break pedal rather than releasing it and using the handbreak. This doesnt allow the pads or contact spot on the disc to cool and can cause slight warping which then causes faster wear and tear.

#15 andyp1967

andyp1967

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Just been quoted £55 for a set of front discs and pads from my local car part supplier dont think this is too bad and they have quoted me £90 for the rear ones complete with bearings and pads

Did this work last weekend took me 2 Hours to do and a cost of £50 for Mintex discs and pads very happy :D