16 replies to this topic

#1 oaklands31

oaklands31

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

Has anyone had trouble with the windscreen washer motor this winter?
I think I had the same problem last year(if I remember correctly) but it corrected itself eventually soon after the cold snap.
The washers aren't working.I thought the motor had frozen in the cold weather.I would have thought it'd have thawed out by now though.When I press the stalk to activate the washers,nothing happens.I can't even hear the "buzz" of the motor.

#2 mcdig

mcdig

Med Blue HDI owners club

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3781 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

You have blown the fuse.
F14 10A - Front/rear screen wash pump
Location is Junction box - fuse box (PSF1) in engine compartment

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

#3 bogfrog

bogfrog

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

Hi
I have had this problem for the last 3 years, (w reg picasso) but I also get the battery indicator light coming on as well. Usually just a change of a fuse and its all fine. Not this year though,stupidly i forgot to mark down the fuse to change, although when I've tested them they are all ok. So i have no water from the washer bottle and a battery light on until I rev the engine then it goes out and the electrics work again (except the washer bottle).
a strange fault!
any suggestions on where to go from here.

#4 oaklands31

oaklands31

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

I don't get any warning lights illuminated.Thanks for the advice...will try the fuse !

#5 Duncan

Duncan

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

Has anyone had trouble with the windscreen washer motor this winter?
I think I had the same problem last year(if I remember correctly) but it corrected itself eventually soon after the cold snap.
The washers aren't working.I thought the motor had frozen in the cold weather.I would have thought it'd have thawed out by now though.When I press the stalk to activate the washers,nothing happens.I can't even hear the "buzz" of the motor.

I had this very problem. Remove front RH wheel, remove the wheel mud liner, expose pump mounted on the reservoir, removed pump from reservoir & detached the power pug, white & black water pipes at the in line joins. Pry-off the horizontal (black & white) cylinder which attaches to the bottom of the pump with a crew driver. Separate the black & white chamber with a screw driver. Remove the horizontal cylinder & grind some rubber off both sides of the rubber cylinder, as the rubber has expanded from the detergent in the window washer. Replace in reverse order! 1 Hour job!

#6 rodh

rodh

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

Hi, I have just finished the self same job this morning using the advice on the FAQ section. I didn't think about taking alittle rubber of the ends of the piston but it had jammed. I took a very fine oilstone to the piston where there was a small imperfection that seemed to be causing it to stick and put it back. Rattled it first to see it was free to move. Tried it before putting back the inner wheel liner and all is well.

Worst part of this is getting the trim clips in and out for the inner liner, very annoying, otherwise just go carefully prising apart the barrel.

Rod

#7 LisaV

LisaV

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

I had this very problem. Remove front RH wheel, remove the wheel mud liner, expose pump mounted on the reservoir, removed pump from reservoir & detached the power pug, white & black water pipes at the in line joins. Pry-off the horizontal (black & white) cylinder which attaches to the bottom of the pump with a crew driver. Separate the black & white chamber with a screw driver. Remove the horizontal cylinder & grind some rubber off both sides of the rubber cylinder, as the rubber has expanded from the detergent in the window washer. Replace in reverse order! 1 Hour job!

I have a similar problem with a 52 plate Picasso. The front washers are not working - however, when I pull the stalk to activiate them, the rear washer works! The rear washer is also working fine on it's own settings. I have checked the fuses etc but can't find any problem. The motor is running fine as I can hear it. Any suggestions?? HELP!

#8 doinmebest

doinmebest

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

or for the bother of £8.00 delivered buy a new one of fleebay, i messed about cleaning, rubbing blowing etc betc then thought stuff it. SAVE the aggro buy a new one :)

#9 therealblob

therealblob

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

Hi all,

I have a 1.6 LX on a 52 plate and my front washers don't work when I pull the stalk forward but the rear ones do!! The rear ones still work on their own when you twist the knob.

Any help appreciated.

#10 ccc78

ccc78

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

Hi, i have a C4 Picasso and today i hit a problem. I want to change fusebox F32- Rear 12 v socket and I don't found the second dashboard fusebox. Can you show me how to do it? Under the board I found only the first dashboard fusebox. Thanks

#11 MikeyTaylor

MikeyTaylor

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

HELP!! i have a 04 Picasso, the rear washer/wiper works fine but the front washer doesnt! (but wipers work fine) I have replaced the washer motor but still have the same problem!! I have blown out all the tubes and cleaned the front jets but nothing. When I pull the stalk to opperate the front washers the wipers come on but the washer motor doesnt run. I have also checked all the fuses. Can anyone help or have any ideas?? Thanks

#12 stimulator

stimulator

20HDi SX Wicked Red, best colour for your money

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7180 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

As you say you've done the usual suspects then it would point to the stalk or one of the directional relays as being the next cuplrit.

I don't have a Xsara pic anymore so haveno wiring diagram. However the C3 has a similar system where the same motor is used to power the washers, rotates one way for frontand theother for the rear.

On the C3 there are two relays in the enginefuse box which are operated by the stalk via the BISI. The two relays are powered from the same fuse so if one works thenthe power is there. Possible that one relay coil is U/S preventing operation, so long as it is failed OFF then the otjer screen wash direction is still OK. Yoou need to find the relays,

62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#13 MikeyTaylor

MikeyTaylor

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Thanks Stimulator I was kinda thinking that it would be the relay switch but I cant seem to find it....anyone any ideas as to where it would be?? Thanks

#14 stimulator

stimulator

20HDi SX Wicked Red, best colour for your money

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7180 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

On the C3 they are on the negine fuse box.

62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#15 MikeyTaylor

MikeyTaylor

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Thanks I will have another look.

#16 Omegastoopreme

Omegastoopreme

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

HELP!! i have a 04 Picasso, the rear washer/wiper works fine but the front washer doesnt! (but wipers work fine) I have replaced the washer motor but still have the same problem!! I have blown out all the tubes and cleaned the front jets but nothing. When I pull the stalk to opperate the front washers the wipers come on but the washer motor doesnt run. I have also checked all the fuses. Can anyone help or have any ideas?? Thanks

Mine is doing the exact same thing this morning but both front and rear.

Don't think they're frozen gotta go thru the fuse's later.

Any suggestions?

#17 nubee

nubee

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

Well, after  a week of no Windscreen  Washer I perused this article , bought a new Washer Pump and fitted it , all in 1 hour 20 minutes, which included searching for the correct tools. Not bad. The Pump cost £15 from a Spares shop, I could have saved money by going online but I wanted the job done while I had time. I was quoted £68 by a Repair shop , £40 an hour labour and the rest for spare pump, so I got off lightly. Easy enough job once you locate the screws etc, but I did break a couple of the studs holding the mudguard on, they are a bugger to get out.

Thanks for the advice on here, it certainly helped.