#1 bally

bally

1.6 LX (2002)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

Hi Everyone

I have a really odd thing going on with my fuel gauge. The other night i decided to fill the car up, i always keep the tank full. I had done around 80 miles and the fuel gauge was reading 3 bars from the top.

I filled the car up till the pump cut out and added a few extra drops for good luck. Anyway when i started the engine the fuel gauge still read 3 bars from the top.I turned the engine off and back on and no differance. I was wondering if i had put any fuel in at all.Anyway i drove the few miles home,parked up, turned off engine, turned it back on and low and behold the bars had gone right to the top bar 1, which is normal for my car,even if full to top the top bar hardly ever lights

Anyway have done another 70 miles, gauge showing 3 from top, parked up, came back and it was showing one from the top the trip computer was showing 445miles. Stayed that way till i came home.Parked up and again turned engine off and back on and it dropped back down to 2 bars from top, turned back off and on, and went back to 1 bar from the top and showed 470 miles.Its been that way now dispite doing another 10 miles, and is still showing 1 bar from the top.

I know there is no way one bar equates to nearly 80miles.

Ok so has anyone got any ideas whats going on. I thought maybe the sensor in the petrol tank was stuck, but not sure how to unstick it.

any ideas would be great, its a 2003 1.6 lx model.Petrol

Really begining to regret buying a picasso, too many electronic things to go wrong.

#2 bally

bally

1.6 LX (2002)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:57 AM

anyone got a suggustion, really annoying

#3 smokescreen

smokescreen

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, DIY, sport, beer!!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

Hi there,

I'm sure this has been covered before (try a search on fuel gauge) but as far as I can recall you need to put in at least 10lt of fuel for the gauge to catch-up with what you've put in.

Regards
smokescreen
smokescreen

06 reg Black C3 1.6 HDi 110bhp 16v VTR - about as much fun as you can have on £30pa road tax.

#4 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7669 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

The fuel indicator on the picasso is not a straight float and gauge system.

When the ignition is first turned ON the BSI reads the fuel contents in the tank and updates the gauge.

When the engine is running the fuel gauge is decremented by input from the fuel flow system and not the float.

So a possible reasons for your 'problem' was that:

a) the float reading was ignored for that one time and was used in the morning.

B) the car wasn't flat when you refuelled and the tank level was at an angle causing the float to appear lower than on the flat.

c) the ignition was OFF when you refilled.
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#5 bally

bally

1.6 LX (2002)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

went for pertrol this morning, having done 80 miles. The gauge still showed one bar off the top, filled it up completely again, about 8 litres and still shows one bae from top.

So you think i need to run it down by more than 10 litres at least, instead of topping up easch week with £10.00 worth, 8 lts approx?

#6 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6212 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Why not fill the tank and drive for about 400 miles then fill it again? I never put fuel in 'till it's on the last segment except in the outback in OZ with the Camry where I fill up when it gets just below half a tank..

Edited by Lancelot, 15 May 2010 - 04:51 PM.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#7 bally

bally

1.6 LX (2002)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

i like to keep it full

#8 Border_Collie

Border_Collie

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

Diesel weighs about 2lb per litre, so a full tank is roughly the same as carrying a 9 stone person.

Now how do I work out the savings (mpg) having less weight, if I only fill up to half a tank and again when down to 1 bar and only fill up when ging on a long run?

#9 a.j.s.

a.j.s.

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

Hi Everyone

I have a really odd thing going on with my fuel gauge. The other night i decided to fill the car up, i always keep the tank full. I had done around 80 miles and the fuel gauge was reading 3 bars from the top.

I filled the car up till the pump cut out and added a few extra drops for good luck. Anyway when i started the engine the fuel gauge still read 3 bars from the top.I turned the engine off and back on and no differance. I was wondering if i had put any fuel in at all.Anyway i drove the few miles home,parked up, turned off engine, turned it back on and low and behold the bars had gone right to the top bar 1, which is normal for my car,even if full to top the top bar hardly ever lights

Anyway have done another 70 miles, gauge showing 3 from top, parked up, came back and it was showing one from the top the trip computer was showing 445miles. Stayed that way till i came home.Parked up and again turned engine off and back on and it dropped back down to 2 bars from top, turned back off and on, and went back to 1 bar from the top and showed 470 miles.Its been that way now dispite doing another 10 miles, and is still showing 1 bar from the top.

I know there is no way one bar equates to nearly 80miles.

Ok so has anyone got any ideas whats going on. I thought maybe the sensor in the petrol tank was stuck, but not sure how to unstick it.

any ideas would be great, its a 2003 1.6 lx model.Petrol

Really begining to regret buying a picasso, too many electronic things to go wrong.

#10 a.j.s.

a.j.s.

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

Hi,I`m new here but I`ve this exact problem with my picasso, it turne out to be a faulty fuel gauge and the whole
instrument pod had to be changed. Hope that helps, Andy

#11 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7669 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

The fuel gauge on the Pic doesn't work the way that you'd imagine.

When you put fuel in the tank it moves the float and that sends a signal to the brain.

If the tank is full then when you next turn on the ignition the gauge will indicate full.

You start the engine and drive the car, as you drive the brain decrements the fuel gauge by the fuel flow not the float position. You drive say for 250 miles and the tank shows empty so you refill it. If you left the key in the ignition and the ignition ON then when you set off agin it will still read empty and NOT full. The next time you remove the key and then re-insert it the gauge will then go to full.

it also makes a difference if the car is not on level ground when you fill.
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS