9 replies to this topic

#1 Scorpio66

Scorpio66

2.0 Hdi 51 reg XPic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

Hi, i have a 51 plate Diesel Picasso which as just started to make a wining noise when driving, you can start to hear it about 30mph +
Is their a know prblem for this year & model. I cant seem to pinpoint where its coming from, when driving it sounds like its coming from the rear of the car.
Any ideas. :(

#2 rattrap

rattrap

1.6 HDi Xsara Picasso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:13 AM

Possible wheel bearing from your description. :huh:

Edited by JoeBlunt, 26 October 2009 - 08:54 AM.
Quote Removed - No Need to Quote the Previous Post if you are replying immediately afterwards

#3 faded-fish

faded-fish

1.6 Hdi (110) 2004 (54) Excl Med Blue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

I find that the whining noise coming from the back of my car is the kids!!! :lol:

Edited by JoeBlunt, 26 October 2009 - 08:55 AM.
Quote Removed - No Need to Quote the Previous Post if you are replying immediately afterwards

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving!!!

#4 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

No theres no specific problem for that particular year / model however if its a wear'n'tear thing such as a wheel bearing then it depends on your mileage I guess. We have people with Taxi's running Pic's who have clocked up 150k+ and I can't remember any of them moaning about wheel bearings, I guess its one of those things thats 'luck of the draw'. :huh:

My first thought was wheel bearings, I guess you can ckeck your tyre condition (pressure, bulges, etc) also make sure your tyre isn't rubbing the plastic wheel arch liner? :huh:

How much mileage has your Pic done?
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#5 Mucker

Mucker

2.0 Auto 2004 Exclusive (petrol)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

started to make a wining noise when driving, you can start to hear it about 30mph +:(

I had this problem, started about the same time i got married some 20 years ago..its worth checking !!!
Mucker 2004 2.0 (petrol) auto Exclusive..lovely motor, 1979 Hondamatic cb 400, 2004 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet, 2 push bikes, wife, 2 kids, 2 grandkids and no money.

#6 Scorpio66

Scorpio66

2.0 Hdi 51 reg XPic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:08 PM

Its got 90k on the clock. Yea its normaly the kids or the wife but this time it does it even when the wife & kids arnt in. :lol:

#7 from Birmingham

from Birmingham

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:15 AM

Hi, i have a 51 plate Diesel Picasso which as just started to make a wining noise when driving, you can start to hear it about 30mph +
Is their a know prblem for this year & model. I cant seem to pinpoint where its coming from, when driving it sounds like its coming from the rear of the car.
Any ideas. :(

have you tried leaving the wife at home

sorry couldn't resist that

#8 sajr

sajr

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

I am getting a similar noise but it seems to be coming from the front drivers side of the engine. Its lost power very briefly at about 2,000 revs but only for a second or so.

#9 Dr Bob

Dr Bob

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:26 AM

have you got one of the citroen roof racks as these can make a whining/ghostly noise above a certain wind speed

was 2.0 SX HDi Pentland Green

I didn't wash my pentland green - I traded it in!

2.0 Ex HDi old man biege now gone to 'er indoors

now 1.6 tdi bmt vw touran in blue

#10 few cloudy

few cloudy

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

You can tell if it's a wheel bearing as it is 'usually' possible to make the noise louder or quieter depending on where the weight of the car is. For example, if you turn hard right and the hum is more pronounced then chances are high it is the front left wheel bearing, and vice versa (best checked at speed on large roundabouts or long bends rather than v slow speeds in Super Market car parks). Not so easy with the rears, but easy to jack-up back wheels and spin wheel, also to move wheel up and down to check for play in the bearing. But unlikely to be rear WB's anyway, never subjected to anything like the load forces of the fronts.

Your description fits, as it's hard to hear knackered WB's at low speed. As you pick up speed they can get a bit noisier. But also check for wind noise, engine covers top and bottom, tyres rubbing etc etc.

fc