19 replies to this topic

#1 merseymike

merseymike

1.6i Desire 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

Hope someone can help me, recently my engine has been racing (mostly on the first journeys after standing idle for a few hours). When I drop the clutch to stop at a junction or lights the engine starts racing and revving. If I switch the engine off everything seems fine. I have been told by someone with some knowledge that is might be the mass air flow sensor.

Anyone any experiences?

Its a 2003 1.6 petrol.

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, woder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7444 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

Could be lack of freeplay in the throttle cable. I belive your car is of the age to have one. later cars have a throttle sensor at the pedal.

have a look in the tech section FAQs there is an item about cable adjustment.

failing that then it could be as you say.
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#3 merseymike

merseymike

1.6i Desire 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for replying, I'm gonna try the MAF I have checked the throttle cable and all seems well.

Edited by JoeBlunt, 19 September 2009 - 11:53 AM.
Quote Removed - No Need to Quote the Previous Post if you are replying immediately afterwards

#4 bobbyp

bobbyp

1.6 Hdi LX 2006 92hp

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

I seem to have a similar problem, take foot off acceletor and the car still goes, very noticeable at junctions and corners, revs eventually drops off after about 5 seconds, any idea? picasso 1.6hdi 2006.

Edited by JoeBlunt, 19 September 2009 - 11:54 AM.
Quote Removed - No Need to Quote the Previous Post if you are replying immediately afterwards

#5 Ross 744

Ross 744

1.6 Hdi (110) Excl (Storm Grey)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Aviation (Future Pilot), Picasso's (Ofcourse :P), Photography, Travelling, My Dog (Max-Border Collie)

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

For the 1.6 petrol, look here... Clicky.... I had exactly the same problem. However, the engine revving when idleing seems to be coming back now after having disconnecting the battery a few times. Been having problems with the engine not starting, thought it was slight lack of voltage in the battery, but all seems ok according to a testing centre. When I reconnected the battery, didnt put the negative terminal on secure enough and that caused central locking/starting problems. Now all seems ok (touch wood), but like I said before, the engine revving when idleing has come back slightly...cant surely need another idle control valve?

Edited by Ross 744, 17 September 2009 - 08:05 PM.

PRESENT
NEW: '53 Volkswagen Bora 1.9TDi 150 Sport in Bora Bora Red

PAST
NEW: '54 1.6HDi 110 Exclusive in Storm Grey with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLD: '04 2.0HDi Exclusive in Arctic Steel with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLDEST: '02 1.6i SX in Sahara Gold

Future Airline Pilot

#6 merseymike

merseymike

1.6i Desire 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the replies, does anyone know where I would find the idle control valve and possible cost for the part?

#7 Drift

Drift

2.0hdi 54 Reg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:43 AM

Im helping Mike, we found the idle control vale and cleaned it up also cleaned up the butterfly on the throttle, which to be honest wasnt that bad but the fault still persists.

Now looking at pictures of the idle control valves Ive seen they do not if I remember correctly look the same as the one I took from Mikes yesterday.
Im not to familiar with the petrol Citroens so bear with me, the pictures Ive seen have a post sticking out of the valve the one I took of didnt have a post on it I think, terrible memory on me.
So are the 8v and 16v sensors different?
20hdi 54 picasso,2.8tdi Isuzu powered LWB Frontera lifted 2",32"mud terrain tyres and other stuff.

#8 pilot

pilot

1.6Hdi 2005 Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:Flying and drinking red wine. ( Not at the same time since I spilt a glass)
    Now driving 2013 Peugeot 2008 Allure EGS 1.6Hdi.

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

No real problems with my 1.6Hdi 2005 except that often as in the previous post the car seems to take over when for example approaching a roundabout in second it keeps going at about 15 mph with all feet off all pedals.I have to slip the clutch to maintain control as the engine revs at a speed far in excess of idling.I just thought it was the computer preventing stalling but the characteristics are far different from any car that I have driven upto the Pic. Is it mine or do most of you have similar experiences. Also braking characteristics seem to change sometimes fierce and sometimes very slow and spongy.
Posted Image

#9 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4646 posts
  • Interests:fishing, motorbikes, garden, my dog

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

i now have a 1.6hdi the braking does not change at all i would think you have a problem with braking
i cant see any reason its fierce and then slow and spongy un less you have a abs problem,
i would get the brakes checked out

#10 QAB123

QAB123

1.6 Hdi Desire 2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:15 PM

Well, here I am folks, I read all your problems with interest and occasionally put my bit of input but "I" have now got a potential problem. My 1.6 Hdi (05) pic with 59,000 miles approx has been a superb vehicle costing me very little to run, she achieves 70-85 mpg in warm weather. The only time she costs me anything is for the usual servicing, 1 set of tyres and the air-con refilling.

I have recently noticed when drivng down the road that my engine has starting to rev faster without my foot on the accelerator. At traffic lights it is sometimes normal and on other occasion it ticks over at about 2000 rpm and on the same journey it can correct iself. Trying to lift the accelerator is pointless as if it has got stuck on its travel.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by JoeBlunt, 19 September 2009 - 10:07 PM.
Topics Merged

#11 Ross 744

Ross 744

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Aviation (Future Pilot), Picasso's (Ofcourse :P), Photography, Travelling, My Dog (Max-Border Collie)

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the replies, does anyone know where I would find the idle control valve and possible cost for the part?

Hi Mike,

I went to a Citroen garage and they changed the Idle Control Valve. Cost around 60 in total (Done on the same day that VAT was reduced to 15% :))
PRESENT

PAST

Future Airline Pilot

#12 bluesky

bluesky

Xsara Picasso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

No real problems with my 1.6Hdi 2005 except that often as in the previous post the car seems to take over when for example approaching a roundabout in second it keeps going at about 15 mph with all feet off all pedals.I have to slip the clutch to maintain control as the engine revs at a speed far in excess of idling.I just thought it was the computer preventing stalling but the characteristics are far different from any car that I have driven upto the Pic. Is it mine or do most of you have similar experiences. Also braking characteristics seem to change sometimes fierce and sometimes very slow and spongy.

With regard to the brakes it depends on your definition of spongy. It could be that 'spongy' is actually normal while solid is the non servo effect or, there could be vapour in the system.

This sounds to me like a servo problem, or more accurately a loss of vacuum problem. To test the servo carry out the following:
  • Switch off engine and then pump the brake pedal until it is rock solid.
  • Apply moderate pressure to the brake pedal and, while maintaining pressure, start engine.
As soon as the engine starts the brake pedal should drop as the vacuum pulls the pedal down. If no pedal movement occurs then suspect a fault either in the servo or the vacuum pump. Note diesels have no manifold vacuum and use a vacuum pump whereas petrol vehicles use the inlet manifold vacuum to operate the servo. There is also a possibilty of a sticky valve in the vacuum circuit.

If the servo system appears to be correct then the problem could be caused by vapour lock in the hydraulic system. This is caused by moisture in the brake fluid turning to steam under the heat produced by repetative braking. I'm wondering if the extra work placed on the brakes due to the excessive engine speed could be heating the brake pads a lot more than usual and causing the any moisture in the brake fluid, probably behind the pistions in the calipers, to turn to steam thus making the pedal spongy. Once the temperature drops below boiling the water vapour will recondense and the problem will go away.

Replacing the brake fuid with clean brake fluid of the correct type should remove this risk.

#13 merseymike

merseymike

1.6i Desire 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

With regard to the brakes it depends on your definition of spongy. It could be that 'spongy' is actually normal while solid is the non servo effect or, there could be vapour in the system.

This sounds to me like a servo problem, or more accurately a loss of vacuum problem. To test the servo carry out the following:

• Switch off engine and then pump the brake pedal until it is rock solid.
  • Apply moderate pressure to the brake pedal and, while maintaining pressure, start engine.
As soon as the engine starts the brake pedal should drop as the vacuum pulls the pedal down. If no pedal movement occurs then suspect a fault either in the servo or the vacuum pump. Note diesels have no manifold vacuum and use a vacuum pump whereas petrol vehicles use the inlet manifold vacuum to operate the servo. There is also a possibilty of a sticky valve in the vacuum circuit.

If the servo system appears to be correct then the problem could be caused by vapour lock in the hydraulic system. This is caused by moisture in the brake fluid turning to steam under the heat produced by repetative braking. I'm wondering if the extra work placed on the brakes due to the excessive engine speed could be heating the brake pads a lot more than usual and causing the any moisture in the brake fluid, probably behind the pistions in the calipers, to turn to steam thus making the pedal spongy. Once the temperature drops below boiling the water vapour will recondense and the problem will go away.

Replacing the brake fuid with clean brake fluid of the correct type should remove this risk.

Just a quick update, it seemed to be the Idle Control Valve, 37 from a Citroen dealership, kindly fitted by Drift. All seems well now.

#14 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7444 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

Check the brake pedal switch hasn't come adrift fom the fitting, it not only puts the lights ON but signals the ECU.

BEWARE your cars have ABS and you can not just put fluid in the hydraulic reservoir and pump it through using the brake pedal as per the good old days. You need a pressurised supply or the ABS gets upset.
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#15 nicolae1974

nicolae1974

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:17 AM

Have a 2002 1.8 petrol/GPL Pic with 108 tkm on it and experienced this engine revving today. The engine would revv up when approaching street lights or turning and the gas pedal would feel sticky when pressing, but depressing it with my foot would not help. I had the feeling that it happened after I tapped brakes. After 10 minutes of experiencing this, everything is fine again. I had experienced this over the past couple of weeks, but it was much weaker, seemed like 1500-1800 revvs, but today sounded like 2500-3000! Thought of checking engine brains, but now it is gone.

#16 gordon

gordon

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

Hi Mike,

I went to a Citroen garage and they changed the Idle Control Valve. Cost around 60 in total (Done on the same day that VAT was reduced to 15% :))

Hi I don't know if this will get to you directly or if you will come across it but did changing the idle control valve work?
My car is doing this really bad, revving up really high almost everyday now for 20 minutes at a time. The citroen dealer says they have no idea and want to replace every part in my car to see if that does the trick. Don't want to chase down a dead end, just paid over 900 for, starter motor, clutch, head gasket, coil pack and injector. In 3 months.

They want 200 to change my idle control valve, was it the idle air control valve?

Much appreciated.

#17 Ross 744

Ross 744

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

Hi gordon,

I cant remember the exact name of the part, but its common name was the Idle Control Valve/Idle Air Control Valve. I remember it looks slightly similar to a babies dummy if that helps lol. But yes it solved the problem for me and for mike.

Ross S

Edited by Ross 744, 11 February 2010 - 05:30 PM.

PRESENT

PAST

Future Airline Pilot

#18 sconti

sconti

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

On the engine racing theme...

My 2001 1.6 petrol has recently decided to be very sluggish when starting (like an almost flat battery). After 4-5 attempts it starts fine although revving MUCH too high and the clock has reverted to Jan 1 1990. Also, the exterior temperature gauge suggests 32 degrees. The engine then revs up and down excessively and the only solution is to stop and restart the engine after waiting 30 seconds or so and all on that front seems fine. My instinct suggests some kind of electrical short which is then sending the onboard engine management loopy but I am no expert.

Any thoughts from fellow Picasso drivers would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

sconti

#19 dwayne pipe

dwayne pipe

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

if you look at the engine the idle conyrol valve is situated to the left of the inlet manifold. there is a multi plug on it with one bolt securing it. you can get one from a breakers yard free if you are willing just to put one in your pocket when nobody is looking otherwise about £50 from citroen. i had the same problem and it cured it by replacing, if you are worried about it you can simply unplug the multi plug and the car will run ok but might stall when you stop

#20 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7444 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

Hopefully he got it fixed by now the date of his post Sept 2009.