21 replies to this topic

#1 daveyboy46

daveyboy46

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

I just put my Citreon Picasso in for MOT and it failed with rot on NS and OS sills just under drivers door and passenger door. My car is a 51 plate I was wondering if others have had the same prblem as me.

#2 bluesky

bluesky

Xsara Picasso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

Hopefully my wife's car hasn't got yhe problem but it sounds like the car has been damaged in the vicinity of the jacking points and has had a bad repair without proper rust proofing.

Edited by JoeBlunt, 23 February 2010 - 06:51 PM.
Quote Removed - No Need to Quote the Previous Post if you are replying immediately afterwards

#3 mcdig

mcdig

Med Blue HDI owners club

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3806 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:26 PM

1st time I have heard of a Pic rotting on the cills and there are plenty of older ones than yours knocking about, thought modern cars were fairly rust proof for a good few years nowadays so as said possibly been jacked up wrongly and damaged the underseal.

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

#4 Ross 744

Ross 744

1.6 Hdi (110) Excl (Storm Grey)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Aviation (Future Pilot), Picasso's (Ofcourse :P), Photography, Travelling, My Dog (Max-Border Collie)

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:44 PM

The whole bottom of my Rear Passenger Side Door has been rotten or rusted for a while now (3-5mm). Not covered by the Citroen Corrosion Guarantee as the previous owners didnt take it for the checks! Got my MOT tomorrow so hope it passes!
PRESENT
NEW: '53 Volkswagen Bora 1.9TDi 150 Sport in Bora Bora Red

PAST
NEW: '54 1.6HDi 110 Exclusive in Storm Grey with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLD: '04 2.0HDi Exclusive in Arctic Steel with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLDEST: '02 1.6i SX in Sahara Gold

Future Airline Pilot

#5 pictish

pictish

Xsara Picasso Diesel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:17 AM

A few 03 & 04 ones I'd looked at had creased cills where they had been jacked wrongly. I'm staying away from that as my old Scenic was damaged there when I bought it and needed cill replaced last year for mot.

The whole bottom of my Rear Passenger Side Door has been rotten or rusted for a while now (3-5mm). Not covered by the Citroen Corrosion Guarantee as the previous owners didnt take it for the checks! Got my MOT tomorrow so hope it passes!

WOW so if the previous keeper had taken it in for regular checks they would still guaranteed no rust on a 7 year old motor?

Does it need full Citroen dealer service history for this?

Oh Ross "break a leg" for the MOT....

Edited by pictish, 27 August 2009 - 12:18 AM.

54 1.6 hdi Exclusive Icelandic Green

#6 Ross 744

Ross 744

1.6 Hdi (110) Excl (Storm Grey)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Aviation (Future Pilot), Picasso's (Ofcourse :P), Photography, Travelling, My Dog (Max-Border Collie)

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

Hi Pictish,

Yeah I think Citroen have a 12 year Paintwork and Bodywork Corrosion Guarantee (or something like that!), but the car had to have gone to regular checks for it to be valid....it went to none :angry: .

Thanks, the car flew through its MOT :) No advisories, no bulbs had to be changed, Wipers didnt need changing...NOTHING! :D Well chuffed! They normally try and flog you off with new indicator bulbs here and there and a pair of front wipers (this was when the grandmother owned the Pic) but I wasnt having any of it! Told them before they started that it was all changed a few months ago (which it was near enough).

MOT and Air Con Regas: 54.00
TAX: 175.00 :blink:

Edited by Ross 744, 28 August 2009 - 09:06 PM.

PRESENT
NEW: '53 Volkswagen Bora 1.9TDi 150 Sport in Bora Bora Red

PAST
NEW: '54 1.6HDi 110 Exclusive in Storm Grey with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLD: '04 2.0HDi Exclusive in Arctic Steel with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLDEST: '02 1.6i SX in Sahara Gold

Future Airline Pilot

#7 Ex-repairman

Ex-repairman

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

Just picked my 02 plate Pic up from the garage following MoT yesterday. Failed for rust in exactly the same places as Daveyboy46's. Mechanic said there seemed to be water inside the cills.

I've had the car from new and always looked after it fairly well, but sadly I got fed up with the service from my Citroen dealer (as lots of us seem to!!) and started using a friends garage. That led to me forgetting about the annual 'perforation' check so have no comeback. Cost 75 cash to repair so not too bad but let it be a lesson to you all. Make sure you have your annual check-up!!

#8 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:42 AM

Newer members may not be aware of this piece of wonderful design which may help explain the rotting of the sills...
Top soil in Pic
Cleaned ours out about a fortnight ago as the crud had built up again!
Growing old is compulsory; growing up isn't!
If you're not part of the solution...
...you're part of the precipitate!

#9 rusty pic

rusty pic

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

I just put my Citreon Picasso in for MOT and it failed with rot on NS and OS sills just under drivers door and passenger door. My car is a 51 plate I was wondering if others have had the same prblem as me.

mine has just been in for MOT today and failed on same thing needed both sills welding a patch on about 2" square under passenger and drivers door guy said to me next MOT in a year will need both sills replacing so its time to get rid i thinks lol in 11 months, the cars an 03 plate with only 53000 miles on
body works in excellent condition
other day i had to replace the 8 speedo bulbs as the digital speedo reading was dim an easy job for anyone to do
then over night the coil spring shattered in the drive so the car had to be recovered into the mechanics but the tyre was saved
citroen did a recall on the pics and placed steel cups on the front shocks to stop the springs going into the tyre but my spring wint through the hole in the cup and still sat on the tyre top but without puncturing it
regards pat (ruscador1@yahoo.com)

#10 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6201 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

I'd suggest that it should be reported to the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) as clearly a dangerous situation still exists. If cups which were fitted didn't stop the spring hitting the tyre a serious accident could occur.
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#11 dwayne pipe

dwayne pipe

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

i got an advisory for both sills and rear seat belt fixing point corroded but not to excess (2002 pic) th ething is noew that the advisorys are now on the mot certificate no a seperate sheet, if you want to sell it you cannot disguise the faults by loosing the advisory sheet

#12 Erebus74

Erebus74

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

Newer members may not be aware of this piece of wonderful design which may help explain the rotting of the sills...
Top soil in Pic
Cleaned ours out about a fortnight ago as the crud had built up again!

Is there a link with pics or a "how to" guide in regards to this?

#13 IanC

IanC

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

My 2001 Picasso got an advisory for both sills rusty outside the prescribed area. Using google I see this is becoming more common. It looks as though rust more than 30cm from a suspension, seat or seat belt mount is acceptable - from other posts. However I want to get this fixed and will be looking for quotes.

The annoying thing is it looks perfect unless you look very carefully. The paint is unbroken and has an underseal of sorts under the paint so the surdface is textured. However you can see bubbles where the rust is coming from inside. My car also has a finger sized hole where the tested poked it:(

Like many others I have not kept up the dealer service so the corrosion warantee is not valid. I think the inspections should have checked the sill drains and maybe they are blocked. Anyway it seems to have rusted out anyway.

#14 pjg

pjg

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music, Motorbikes, Cars, Computers,

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

I have the same problem with my 2.0HDI 52 Reg, 130K miles Had a patch welded on Drivers side last MOT but there is visible patch on passenger side, and also paint bubbling on both rear side cills near the wheel arch. not seen this before has anyone else come across this.

52 Picasso 2.0Hdi Silver

#15 gray

gray

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Just had a look at mine, and mine is the same !   paint bubbling, and sills rusting through at both sides at the front...  will need welding for the MOT - 2002 1.6 LX

#16 The Welshman

The Welshman

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Gardening, Computers, and my Xsara Picasso.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

Seems this is a common area on pics, I know someone with a 2003 model and that is the same, both sides around the front jacking points have had to have patches welded on..

The Welshman...... :ph34r:

#17 fatboy

fatboy

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

my 51 plate needed a 9 inch plate under drivers door.......looks like pass sides not far behind......

Bob

#18 PiLsY.

PiLsY.

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

Both mine are gone on my 2000 X plate. Passenger side is split along a 7" section from being improperly jacked. The drivers side has extensive bubbling but nothing showing externally yet. At least its not the strut tops like the Xantia's, the inner arches like the BX or the boot like the CX. I've never had a citroen that didn't rust. Its part of that French "je ne sais quoi" they're supposed to have. :)

#19 IanC

IanC

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

Any idea about the cost of fixing a plate to fix this?

Edited by IanC, 10 June 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#20 PiLsY.

PiLsY.

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

The actual weld job should be quite cheap...£30 to £60 per side depending on amount and quality of work. If you're willing to finish it, prime it and black it yourself then you're probably looking at another £20 to £30 in paints. Anything beyond that is bodyshop charges and cost is entirely dependant on the level of finish you want.