10 replies to this topic

#1 Mike G

Mike G

1.6 2001 petrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:31 AM

Hi my name is Michael and I live near Southampton on the edge of the New Forest. I bought my 2001 1.6 to export to Cyprus where I hope to spend winters. It does get cold there in winter but it is warmer than England and certainly sunnier.
My vehicle has covered 75000 mile (according to the speedo) and is in OK condition and will be extremely useful in Cyprus.
The forum seems very comprehensive and there are some very knwledgable people out there.

When driving the car home after collecting it in pouring rain the windscreen wipers stopped working and I had to be recovered. I have looked at the articles on resetting the com2000 but I am unsure where the grey connector is, the only grey connector I can locate is the one going to the wiper switch? I guess if all else fails I will call out a mobile diagbostic man and if that fails to install relays to bypass the computer.

Your help is most appreciated.

Mike

Edited by JoeBlunt, 30 July 2009 - 09:18 AM.
Moved to Technical / New Topic created.

#2 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

Stating the obvious I know, couldn't you take it back to where you bought it from?
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#3 Mike G

Mike G

1.6 2001 petrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

Yes that is the logical path to take however the seller is proving somewhat less than helpful and I doubt that a visit would result in any more than an argument. Additionally the MOT is now out of date plus it's a fair way to drive.

#4 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

I thought Cyprus only imported vehicles less than 3 years old?

Have you checked the fuses? (theres a list of what fuses do what in the FAQ's in the Technical Section)
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#5 Mike G

Mike G

1.6 2001 petrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

Yes thanks I have checked the fuses and judging by the way it failed, (intermittantly) suggested to me that a software fault is the most likely culprit. I put a meter on the plug which goes in to the Wiper motor loom and it was dead so a motor fault is unlikely. The article on fuses was very helpful but my engine compartment fuse box has no identification numbers alongside the fuse holders so I had to check all of them.
No there is no age restriction on importing cars to Cyprus that I know of, just looked it up and Northern Cyprus will not allow the importation of vehicles over 3 years old but southern Cyprus will although you have to pay more import tax. Strange I thought we were in the EU the same as Cyprus?

#6 pilot

pilot

1.6Hdi 2005 Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Flying and drinking red wine. ( Not at the same time since I spilt a glass)
    Now driving 2013 Peugeot 2008 Allure EGS 1.6Hdi.

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

Just a silly thing but you might not have the manual with your car.Did you know that you have to return the wiper switch to off and then reselect the position you want every time you switch the ignition on if you turned the ignition off with the wipers working? This is to stop the wipers trying to work if for example they were frozen to the screen overnight.If its not this I apologise but I know that I thought my wipers were faulty until I read the book
Posted Image

#7 Mike G

Mike G

1.6 2001 petrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for that, I don't have a manual or drivers guide but I did read that the software stops the wipers from coming on if the ignition is switched off with the wipers still working. I have just tried it again but still not working and now the front washers are US since I disconnected the battery to try to reset the computer.
Thanks again for your advice, I will keep trying.

#8 Mike G

Mike G

1.6 2001 petrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

Problem solved wiper now working.
I called a mobile diagnostic man out and after about 2 hours he traced the fault to a relay on the BSI board, plus a dry joint. He sent the board away and had it refurbished (with a 2 year warranty) and 5 days later refitted and checked everything out. Total charge well under £250. I can thouroughly recommend him. If anyone lives in the Southampton/New Forest area who is unfortunate enough to require his services, his name is Valtech Services.

#9 paddyirishman

paddyirishman

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:54 PM

I too am curently having this problem, for some time now my 02 Picasso's wipers were working sometimes and today stopped working all together. There is a click noise from when i put it to full speed but nothing on the other settings, as if no power getting to motor.

#10 edddiec

edddiec

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

Had a similar problem. Called out the RAC. The technician disconnected the bettery (under the passengers seat) and this reset the computer. A kind of ctrl alt del for cars.

It's worth a try

Good luck
EC

#11 IceCreamHead

IceCreamHead

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:03 AM

Ok folks, I'm going to resurrect this thread as SWMBO's Pic has had no front wipers for 2 weeks now.

All the fuses are OK
Checking the Haynes wiring diagram there looks to be several components on the same board (if that's what it is)
Front and rear washer pumps both work, rear wiper works (if only I'd looked at this logically before I let her shell 65 on a new stalk/switch that the local garage were 99.9% sure was the fault)
Wiper motor has been replaced.

I've disconnected the battery and performed the rest that was suggested previously, no joy there.

I'm no electrical wizard but putting a multi meter over the red and green feeds (IIRC) to the plug showed 16A, that sounds like current flowing to the component to me. But it didn't change, should it to reverse the blades motion?

Ringing round garages local to me and describing the fault has resulted in several sharp intakes of breath and quotes bandied about from 5-600 quid for the "part" and to program it, seems a tad on the steep side.

Anyone shed any further light or recommend a garage/auto electrician in SE Wales area

Cheers

Andy

Wife, 3 Kids, Dog, SIII Lwt and a Thunderace to feed, please giver generously