Photo

Coolant Temperature Sensor

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6233 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

i will take a closer look at a meriva

And have even more problems? And a much worse vehicle to drive?
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#42 Charliee

Charliee

2.0 Hdi Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

Hey whatsits, if you get a new sensor, before you remove the old one try just plugging the leads on it and leave it dangling - run for a few moments and see if all OK - if fault still shows then it can't be the sensor itself. You can even dunk it in your cuppa to see if it registers temperature! Check the 2 leads to sensor, with them off but ignition on they should read 4 volts. Double check connections. Make sure engine cold and all pressure out of cooling system before changing the one in engine - I honestly didn't loose enough coolant to warrant topping up......
these things always happen just when you need the car eh?

Edited by PJWR, 24 July 2009 - 08:14 PM.

#43 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4646 posts
  • Interests:fishing, motorbikes, garden, my dog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

ive had a test drive in the Meriva it drove very nicely i dont think it handles as well as pic it rolls slightly on the bends seats were hard
engine was a lot more responsive than the pic cdti i.9 diesel its a bit smaller than pic in side,but in any case i wouldnt mind a smaller car pic is getting to too big for me nowadays,s
so no real faults found with meriva ,its up to me now,

#44 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4646 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

PJWR, thanks for reply but coolant stop display is not on all the time but engine light is now on, disconnecting battery
did not do anything and car is now in limp mode, i lost a fair bit of coolant trying to change sensor ,but they sent me wrong one again it was green but it screws in
where one i took out is held in with a large clip

Edited by whatsinaname, 24 July 2009 - 09:56 PM.

#45 Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

2.0 HDi SX in Sahara Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10202 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

Two types of sensor ....

#46 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4646 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

yes ma be there are two types of sensor, however i didnt need one ,
they put it on code reader and reset every every thing ,he said if it happens again we will fit new sensor but at moment it doesnt need one,
jobs a good un

#47 SST

SST

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

Hi have no suggestions but I have the same problem on my picasso and my fan is working so i would be interested if you find out what the problem is :rolleyes:

#48 AEC.

AEC.

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hiya all!

I'm new on here, but have read the forum often and found some great answers.

51 plate 2.0 HDI

I had the same problem as some of you guys - STOP- ENGINE TEMPERATURE. It was happening pretty much every morning when the car was cold. I went to Citroen's today and bought a coolant temp sensor. A total doddle to fit - just unscrew the jubilee clip holding the hose to the top of the air cleaner, pull the air cleaner off and shove the hose to the right. Temp Sensor sat in a little plastic housing on the right side of the engine with a circlip thingy holding it in. Removed this in seconds, lost about half a litre of coolant cos I forgot to undo the expansion cap (muppet) and while i fiddled about getting the rubber seal off the old sensor onto the new one! (should come with one if you ask me...) I also took heed of the advice given on here about squeezing the contacts together a bit before plugging it back on.

Basically the job took about 5 mins, and I needed a medium flat-blade screwdriver. I've heard that some sensors screw-in type, so maybe I just got lucky...?

Anyway - I only have the problem when the engine is cold, so I can only test it tomorrow morn. Will post again tomorrow to say whether the problem is really solved... watch this space!

A

#49 AEC.

AEC.

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

Yup! That sorted it! And another thing - my Climate Control, which had been dicky to say the least, seems to work a lot better now. Hmmm.....

Edited by JoeBlunt, 20 March 2010 - 04:14 PM.
Quote Removed - No need to Quote the Previous Post if you are replying immediately afterwards.

#50 ptr3

ptr3

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hi
I had this same problem stop engine, also the fan was on double speed all the time with the engine cold. problem was solved by taking out the side sensor on the right side of the engine just below the rocker head gasget it was dirty pin or a wire connection although this solved the problem I still replaced both the side and top blue sensor as both these sensors work together with each other, these 2-sensors also what makes the fan run on double speed when it should not be on.
Hope this solves your problems

#51 quizling

quizling

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

Yep i had this the other day
warning on dash board to stop as engine had overheated
had quick look after engine had cooled
coolant was still at right level so no leaks
checked the tech site on here and sensors was suggested along with the possibility of the fan
didn't have time to have a look myself (close to Xmas 22nd and needed car over Xmas to ferry people around)
so took into my local garage (sod the expense LOL) they fitted me in the following morning first thing at 8.45
I picked the car up at 13.00
This is what they did reading from the job sheet

CHECKED FOR ENGINE TEMP WARNING LIGHT ON DASH,
CARRIED OUT LEXIA TEST, FAN ONLY SEEMS TO KICK IN FOR 5 SECONDS,
CARRIED OUT ACTUATOR TEST SLOW SPEED FAN NOT WORKING,
REMOVED FRONT BUMPER, CORROSION FOUND ON RESISTORS, SUPPLIED AND FITTED NEW RESISTORS TESTED OK
CARRIED OUT VISUAL INSPECTION OF VEHICLE FOUND ONE TYRE HAS TYRE BELOW LEGAL LIMIT
TYRE CHANGED WITH SPARE TYRE ON VEHICLE
RECOMMEND SPARE TYRE BE REPLACED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BY OWNER
CARRIED OUT DUTY OF CARE VHC INSPECTION

PART NUMBER OF RESISTOR 1267E3 AT £6.45 LIST PRICE
PART NUMBER OF RESISTOR 1267A9 AT £7.44 LIST PRICE

The total bill came to £135.57 including vat OUCH!
labour obviously was the largest chunk of cost
i hope this helps you if you have the same problem as me
Regards Quizling

#52 kwakbiker

kwakbiker

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

Good write ups here, as a newowner ill be watching for this as seems a common prob with an easy fix

#53 flojo

flojo

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

I'm having the same trouble, the warning beeps and flashing sign is very disconcerting and it took me 6 1/2t hrso get home on xmas day, normally 2 1/2 hrs!! Got towed off the M6 by the RAC, who thought it may be the thermostat sticking, but it appears to happen randomly. The bars on the thermostat indicator go from none to 2 to stop the car!! Can anyone help please??

#54 emily217

emily217

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

I have been having a similar problem for months, my car has been revving like mad when ever I stop at lights and is always trying to accelerate even when I am braking like it is on full choke all the time, and guzzling fuel. I took it to a garage last week who said the diagnostics machine say I need a new coolant sensor, so I had that replaced should have been £70 but soon became £90 as they had to get the part from citreon. When they fixed that they now say that the fan is knackered and needs a relay as well which will cost me another £200, if I'd known that i would have just traded it in. Since he fitted the new coolant sensor the car is worse than ever and is scary to drive, what I don't understand is, if the coolant sensor is fixed why is it still revving from cold. I'm just worried that this next job again won't solve the problem, or that they will find more problems when I'm beginning to suspect that they have misdiagnosed it in the first place. Anyone had this problem or got any ideas?

Edited by JoeBlunt, 20 March 2010 - 04:17 PM.
Quote Removed - No need to Quote the Previous Post if you are replying immediately afterwards.

#55 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6233 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

Did you take it to a Citroen garage? To buy a temperature sender cost about £10 last time I heard.

Edited by Lancelot, 25 January 2010 - 11:20 AM.

#56 Simon D

Simon D

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

Hi,

I just need a bit of help, please.

I'm getting "Engine Temperature" warning with beeps and the temp gauge jumping up and down!

When I start my W reg Picasso (Climate Control model) with windscreen set to de-mist using AUTO which uses air conditioning AC not ECO I get the warning after about 15 secs. Or when I switch to AUTO or AC anytime after. So I constantly run climate control in ECO, never using AUTO. But last month when very cold outside temps of -2 I tried AC and never got the warning, and ran the air con for 30 mins without a warning, but by midday the temp outside was warmer and the warnings came back!

It seems to be air con related, I never get the warning if climate control is off or in ECO.

Is this a Coolant Temp Sensor problem too?

Simon, Morecambe

#57 katrinacowden

katrinacowden

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

Hi, same problem.

My wife stopped her X-reg 1.6 Pic. Petrol a couple of days ago, due to the Stop Engine Temp warning.

I've replaced the fan as it was jammed solid and looks like it hasn't worked for a while. The warning still appeared.

I've changed the blue sensor and checked it for 4V, still the same message.

I've also had a play with connector & pins which has made no difference.

Anyone know what conditions should be shown with the sensor disconnected?

THe temperature is showing maximum and stop engine temp /warning alarm go off as soon as the ignition is on.

If disconnected the battery with no impact. Is there a soft reset of the message.

The new fan hasn't worked yet but I'm assuming this is normal until the temperature demands it and I've not run it long enough to get hot enoughto find out,just in case.

Help ... where do I go next ? (besides the local garage?)

#58 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6233 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

Spend about £10 and change the engine coolant sender.

#59 katrinacowden

katrinacowden

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:25 AM

Spend about £10 and change the engine coolant sender.

Sorry to appear a numpty but which sender are you talking about ?

I've changed the "temperature warning light switch / gauge sensor", the top blue one, it might have made a difference but I don't know. The error message is still showing and the temp gauge is on maximum without the car being started.

I haven't changed either the other blue one "cooling fan thermal switch" or the green one "engine ECU temperature sensor".

Should I be changing one of these ?

Is there a way of cancelling the error message without taking it to a garage ?

Would anything in the fan relay unit have an affect ? With the old fan having jammed I'm concerned that it's done damage to that end of the circuit rather than the sender end. The fan relay unit is the one encased in the fan shroud ?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

#60 diesal

diesal

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:repairing cars motor bikes repairing computers and plugging in to cars using diagnostic for obd

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

Sorry to appear a numpty but which sender are you talking about ?

I've changed the "temperature warning light switch / gauge sensor", the top blue one, it might have made a difference but I don't know. The error message is still showing and the temp gauge is on maximum without the car being started.

I haven't changed either the other blue one "cooling fan thermal switch" or the green one "engine ECU temperature sensor".

Should I be changing one of these ?

Is there a way of cancelling the error message without taking it to a garage ?

Would anything in the fan relay unit have an affect ? With the old fan having jammed I'm concerned that it's done damage to that end of the circuit rather than the sender end. The fan relay unit is the one encased in the fan shroud ?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

i there replace the green sencor it should stop it .thay work on an open circuit you will find if you disconnect it then turn your ignicion on it should give you the same warning i tryed bridging mine with a bit of wire but there must be sone kind of chip in the sencor .any way then turn the ignishion back off and reconnect it check for dirty connection i broght one the other day from citroeen cost me a prox £14 including vat thay told me the problem .also if you have a 54 plate or 04 there was a recall on these modles for the temperture thing i learnt citroen so if your lucky it wount cost you anything mines a 51 plate 2.0 hdi hope this help sorry about my spelling