• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:18 AM

I was wondering the following earlier today and thought I'd ask the audience.......................... ;)

It isn't any wonder the bulbs illuminating the digital dash need replacing every so often due to the use they get, I think we don't realise how much time they are actually in use because they are on all the time you are driving not just at night like the traditional type of dashboard.

After dark does dimming the dash lights prolong / shorten or make no difference to the bulbs?

Does anyone leave them on max so the dash is the same day and night?
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#2 gittos

gittos

1.6 SX (petrol)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

I'm not aware that dimming a bulb has any significant effect on it's life one way or t'other.

My Pic is 6 years old and as far as i'm aware it still has the originals in (bl""dy thing will blow tomorrow now)
  • Was - 1.6 Petrol Picasso SX     Now - C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 VTI Petrol

#3 Ross 744

Ross 744

1.6 Hdi (110) Excl (Storm Grey)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Aviation (Future Pilot), Picasso's (Ofcourse :P), Photography, Travelling, My Dog (Max-Border Collie)

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

Im not sure if it affects the life of the bulbs, but I keep mine on Max at night. :)
PRESENT
NEW: '53 Volkswagen Bora 1.9TDi 150 Sport in Bora Bora Red

PAST
NEW: '54 1.6HDi 110 Exclusive in Storm Grey with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLD: '04 2.0HDi Exclusive in Arctic Steel with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLDEST: '02 1.6i SX in Sahara Gold

Future Airline Pilot

#4 Stikkerman

Stikkerman

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

I've got a '52 Picasso and wasn't aware you could keep the Dash lights on "max" at night ?? I would like to use the option if its available. Mine go in to dim mode automatically when you switch your lights on. Is there a manual override switch or something that i dont know about ??

Cheers, Martin

#5 alan44

alan44

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Fishing

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

Hi Joe I sometimes run with the night setting on ie speedo only especially in the cold weather when the the temp gauge is flashing at you all day.cheers Alan.

Hi Martin you can adjust the brightness of dash lights using the buttons close to the fuse box. Turn lights on adjust to your own preference cheers Alan

Edited by alan44, 09 February 2009 - 08:18 PM.

2.0 hdi black previous
2.0 petrol exc grey auto previous

3.0 Toyota Granvia auto present

2.0hdi C-8 auto hopefully.

#6 jimlad

jimlad

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

I have a problem with mine? the switch doesn't seem to do anything, is this common on Picasso's

#7 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7873 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

Firstly, let's be clear about the dash dim/bight buttons, they only work when you put ON the sidelight/headlights. If you have auto lights they will work when that operates the car's lights.

The buttons are marked with what look like rising 'suns'. The button with the smaller of the two 'suns' will dim the lights, the one with the larger 'sun' will increase the brightness, BUT only to the max, they will not go brighter than that (obvious, but you have to say it).

So to check PUT ON your side/head lights and then press the buttons, each press will dim/bright by a small amount, press again to the next level and so on.

Simples yeah?
In theory if you pass less voltage thru a bulb then it will last longer as the filament isn't heated to the same value as with full V.

Edited by stimulator, 09 June 2009 - 09:38 AM.

62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#8 rodderstrotter

rodderstrotter

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

One thing I noticed is at a certain age the filiments become very fragile. A couple of years ago, one of my bulbs blow. To proove it was the bulb, I swopped it with a working one, then both bulbs didn't work. Again, I swopped over the 2 blown bulbs, then had four blown bulbs, did it again and ended up with 8 blown bulbs. This was late one evening & had to wait untill the shops open the next day, replaced all bulbs and all was fine. I reckon just moving the bulbs over was enough to break the filiments, from the small amount of vibration/shock I subjected them too, plus they may have still been warm. Next time I'll just replace all of them.

Edited by rodderstrotter, 09 June 2009 - 09:55 PM.

2004 2.0HDI PICASSO EXCLUSIVE
2010 HYUNDAI i20

#9 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6244 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

The display on my Picasso improved, amazingly, after I had a cataract operation - no need to change any bulbs now.
The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#10 rodderstrotter

rodderstrotter

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

Just noticed on ebay the do led 286 bulbs. You can buy a set for £6.99. Has anyone tried these? Very tempted.

2010 HYUNDAI i20

#11 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

Not seen em, you can be test Pilot if you like? £6.99 isn't too sad even if they're naf....................... :P
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#12 alanlymm

alanlymm

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:11 PM

Just noticed on ebay the do led 286 bulbs. You can buy a set for £6.99. Has anyone tried these? Very tempted.

Hi.
Being a electronics engineer i have a use for l.e.d.s. all the time.
Dont forget the resistor?

#13 rodderstrotter

rodderstrotter

2.0 Hdi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:08 PM

They don't need a resistor, it's intergrated. Ended up just buying the £2.50 bulbs of ebay (suprised how bad the old bulbs were after 3 years). Didn't go for the LED's, it's not the £6.99 that bothers me,. it's the £500+ for a new display if things went wrong. Although this is unlikely, reading that some diyers have broken there displays just by fitting normal bulbs was at the back of my mind!

2010 HYUNDAI i20

#14 Hampshire

Hampshire

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

Can I totally override the automatic dimming of the display backlights when side/head lights are on?

I need to do this because when I drive in Scandinavia or in any European Alpine region I am implored (sometimes by law) to drive with headlights on - even during daylight hours. If it is a sunny day, this results in the display information (including speed) being unreadable (even with the dim control set to max. brightness). If I switch off the driving lights, the display is bright enough to read - so its not a bulb problem.

Any help/suggestions? Without any 'zero-dim' function, my French thought-out car becomes just dangerous to drive!

Firstly, let's be clear about the dash dim/bight buttons, they only work when you put ON the sidelight/headlights. If you have auto lights they will work when that operates the car's lights.

The buttons are marked with what look like rising 'suns'. The button with the smaller of the two 'suns' will dim the lights, the one with the larger 'sun' will increase the brightness, BUT only to the max, they will not go brighter than that (obvious, but you have to say it).

So to check PUT ON your side/head lights and then press the buttons, each press will dim/bright by a small amount, press again to the next level and so on.

Simples yeah?
In theory if you pass less voltage thru a bulb then it will last longer as the filament isn't heated to the same value as with full V.

#15 baldeagle

baldeagle

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:12 PM

Can anyone confirm the LED back lights for my picasso. Reading the threads they are 12v "286" type bulb, Clear? wedge type ? I have also noticed that they have long and short ones on Ebay. I would rather buy them now and have them ready to fit when I take the instrument panel out.I have
traweled alot of the web but cannot find the spec anywhere. Is there anyone out there who can confirm the spec??
Thanks

#16 inthe128

inthe128

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

Can I totally override the automatic dimming of the display backlights when side/head lights are on?

I need to do this because when I drive in Scandinavia or in any European Alpine region I am implored (sometimes by law) to drive with headlights on - even during daylight hours. If it is a sunny day, this results in the display information (including speed) being unreadable (even with the dim control set to max. brightness). If I switch off the driving lights, the display is bright enough to read - so its not a bulb problem.

Any help/suggestions? Without any 'zero-dim' function, my French thought-out car becomes just dangerous to drive!

I lived in Denmark and had a Danish Picasso. The lights would come on when the engine started as by law headlights must be used at all times. I could have this function turned off by the dealer if I wanted it. I used my car in the UK for 4 months so had that done and then on my return had the car "re-lit" :)

The car was plugged into the diagnostic computer at the dealers and the car can be set up to do things and one of the menus had the option to make the car have the lights on permanently. The car's dashboard would remain standard, so headlights were of course on, but on the stalk turned off, the display was bright, when you turned the lights on via the stalk at dusk you had the normal dim options and at full there was a slight dim between lights on and off via the stark.

#17 picasso83

picasso83

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

sorry for jumping in!!
hi all am new on here, i have a problem with my citreon picasso desire hdi. i am experiancing some problems, when i am driving my car the dash keeps lighting up brake fault warning and airbag warning for a few seconds if that, and can some times continiously flash and while it is doing this it cuts out the radio, heating system and making the lights dip( almost like i am flashing at somebody)
i have had the alternator checked and battery and they are both fine, just wondering if anybody else has had a similar problem, would be most greatful of any advice! thanks.

#18 inthe128

inthe128

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:56 AM

sorry for jumping in!!
hi all am new on here, i have a problem with my citreon picasso desire hdi. i am experiancing some problems, when i am driving my car the dash keeps lighting up brake fault warning and airbag warning for a few seconds if that, and can some times continiously flash and while it is doing this it cuts out the radio, heating system and making the lights dip( almost like i am flashing at somebody)
i have had the alternator checked and battery and they are both fine, just wondering if anybody else has had a similar problem, would be most greatful of any advice! thanks.

Nothing like that on my car, but had the same problems as you describe on a van I was driving, that had a new earth strap fitted to cure that.

#19 drummerj

drummerj

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

I also have the problem of a very dim dashboard. Is it possible to use a higher wattage bulb without causing problems?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

#20 eddier

eddier

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

Bear in mind there are about 10 bulbs in the main window and about 10 for the indicators running along the top.
The indicators in my experience are quite bright enough,that leaves 10 on the main display.

Standard bulbs are ( I believe) about 1.25 watts (light gray holder) the next available are 1.5 watts (cream holder).

I have changed the two behind the speedo section for 1.5 watt bulbs without any problems.

If the whole display is generally dim it may be because the current(!) bulbs have blackened a bit, changing them all for 1.25 may well be sufficient.

eddie