#1 gerwyn42

gerwyn42

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:37 PM

Hi all,
I have recently bought a xsara picasso 2.0 hdi 51 plate with 115000 miles on the clock I was wondering what are the service intervals and how often does the cambelt need replacing? also if anyone knows a reputable garage where the work canbe done in the swansea south wales area?

Regards
gerwyn42

#2 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:04 PM

100,000mls for the diesel, maybe yours was changed by a previous owner? Most members of the forum think 100k is too long so aim to change around the 75k mark.

I'm sure someone will be able to recommend a garage in your area - Watch this Space............... B)
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#3 347andy

347andy

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

Service intervals are 12,500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes 1st !
No longer a Picasso owner. 09 Kia Cee'd SR-7

#4 gerwyn42

gerwyn42

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:32 PM

100,000mls for the diesel, maybe yours was changed by a previous owner? Most members of the forum think 100k is too long so aim to change around the 75k mark.

I'm sure someone will be able to recommend a garage in your area - Watch this Space............... B)

Thanks, I've read various threads about what is changed during the cam belt fitting. i.e. pulleys, tensioners, fan belt. does the water pump need changing?

#5 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, woder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7448 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

No but yes but no but yes.

The water pump is driven by the cambelt. So for 100,000 miles it has worked OK and the bearing in it has been loaded by the cambelt tension.

So you have the belt changed and the tension on the water pump changes and after a few miles bang need new water pump. OR it may last another 100,000. Now do you really want to take the risk considering the cost of the pump will be the only addition as the belt was being changed anyway. Few miles later the jbo has to repeated and may even require yet another cambelt.
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#6 mib

mib

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

Hi there,

Just bought myself a 2002 Picasso 2.0L HDI Exclusive (dark Blue)! I'm really pleased with the car! No Cruise Control though, real shame!

The car is approaching 100,000 miles on the clock and I will need the cambelt (and possibly the water pump) replaced soon. But of course I don't want to pay over the odds!! Would anyone recommend a good garage in Cornwall? I live in Redruth.

Cheers,

#7 Ross 744

Ross 744

1.6 Hdi (110) Excl (Storm Grey)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Aviation (Future Pilot), Picasso's (Ofcourse :P), Photography, Travelling, My Dog (Max-Border Collie)

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hi there,

Just bought myself a 2002 Picasso 2.0L HDI Exclusive (dark Blue)! I'm really pleased with the car! No Cruise Control though, real shame!

The car is approaching 100,000 miles on the clock and I will need the cambelt (and possibly the water pump) replaced soon. But of course I don't want to pay over the odds!! Would anyone recommend a good garage in Cornwall? I live in Redruth.

Cheers,

Hi,

Have you tried the Citroen garage near Truro? I know they will probably give you some expensive price, but you can go by comparing other grages then. Im in the process of doing so at the moment for a 75k service and cam belt change. Citroen quoted around 500 for both and my local garage has quoted 120 for the service and around 250 for the cambelt. (Service exc. Filters). My dad lives in Redruth (Scorrier) and I know he knows quite a few mechanics from Redruth, so I can speak to him and see who he recommends. You may even know him... :gun:

Cheers
PRESENT
NEW: '53 Volkswagen Bora 1.9TDi 150 Sport in Bora Bora Red

PAST
NEW: '54 1.6HDi 110 Exclusive in Storm Grey with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLD: '04 2.0HDi Exclusive in Arctic Steel with Full Panoramic Sunroof
OLDEST: '02 1.6i SX in Sahara Gold

Future Airline Pilot

#8 scottamus1

scottamus1

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

Can anyone tell me a good pace for a cambelt change and service in the medway area of kent please, for an 01 y plate 1.6 petrol picasso with 50.000 on the clock

Thanks for all your help in advance :P

#9 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

Try Hidsons first then you have a price to compare with?

Whereabouts in Medway are you?
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#10 Screwloose

Screwloose

18 HDI LX

• Gold Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Good weather and Motorcycles!

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

Ive got my 1.8 petrol getting its cam belt , tentioners , water pump and aux belt done for 280.
4 wheels in rain 2 wheels in sun !

#11 Guest_Somner_*

Guest_Somner_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hi. Sorry to hijack the thread but I don't seem to be able to make my own.

I bought a Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 diesel HDi, 2003 (52 reg) last weekend. It has a full service history and has done 79,000 miles, but from looking through the service details I see no mention of a cam belt change.

I have just rang a local highly recommended mechanic and he took the car details and checked against some sort of guide and said that Citroen recommend [on a diesel] a change every 100,000 miles [normal usage] or 80,000 miles [stop/start short journey usage]. As I have no idea how the car was used in the past (although it has a towbar, so I'm guessing it did a fair few long journeys) I am going to get the cam belt changed ASAP. He said it was about 4 hours work and quoted me 150 parts + labour. This sounds very good, but I've been heard that it is meant to be quite an expensive job in a Citroen?

Also, the car comes with a 3 month warranty from the dealer - would this cover the car in the event of the cambelt snapping before I get it changed?

Cheers.

P.S. Also, when folding my electric mirrors in, only the drivers side mirror folds in. Should the passenger side mirror also fold in? The other electrical functions work - heating and adjustment. Any ideas how I'd go about fixing this?

Edited by Somner, 29 January 2009 - 11:24 AM.

#12 Guest_Somner_*

Guest_Somner_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

Just to add to the above ^

I have checked the most recent service report which was carried out in October 2008 at 76,000 miles. There is a list of jobs done and there is a tick next to "Check and adjust all drive belts (alternator)". I have no idea if this is relevant, but it's there.

#13 royks

royks

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

Servicing intervals are every 12500 miles (with every 3rd one being a major). I believe the recommended interval for petrol is 75000 but not certain of that. I have the 2.0HDi deisel version which ha s a recomended interval of 100,000 (or 80000 if heavily driven however they define that). After last (75k) service I was told that there have been instances of them going earlier and that I should consider having mine done but not sure if this is true? Cost for cam belt appears in the region of 200

#14 ghost

ghost

2.0 Hdi 2002 Excl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:41 PM

Hi
I have a 2ltr Dies exclusive on an 02 plate. my local dealer (Duff Morgan in Norwich) told me 100,000 for a cambelt change. Even with 'severe use' (ie stop starting) the cambelt should be in fair shape at 80,000, but although tales of cambelt failure are quite rare, the consequences can be catastrophic. It therefore seems to me that anywhere between 80,000 - 90,000 should be ok.

The job itself is quite involved because of how the cambelt is housed. It isn't particularly easily to get at, but could probably be done in a couple of hours. 150 from an independent would be a good price.

Mike

Servicing intervals are every 12500 miles (with every 3rd one being a major). I believe the recommended interval for petrol is 75000 but not certain of that. I have the 2.0HDi deisel version which ha s a recomended interval of 100,000 (or 80000 if heavily driven however they define that). After last (75k) service I was told that there have been instances of them going earlier and that I should consider having mine done but not sure if this is true? Cost for cam belt appears in the region of 200

#15 iamian

iamian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4130 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

I had both belts on my 2.0HDi was changed at 78k, but didn't have the water pump changed. Cost was ~ 200 from a Peugeot independent.

The old cam belt had no nicks, grooves, didn't look worn and was only slightly dusty. The alternator belt was in good order too.

Your money, your risk.
I'd rather be boating

#16 noknees

noknees

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

Hi pic owners,as an old diesel mech i have always changed own cambelts,however the pic cambelt change is awkward.my local dealers in wallesey did a guaranteed job total cost 450,this was for 4 hours labour citroen cambelt kit,new waterpump as precaution,new drive belt and 2 litres antifreeze.the mileage was 74000 the cambelt was starting to shred and crack on outeredge but no sign of cracking when checked last september i think the severe cold start ups of this winter might,nt hve helped. the drive belt had normal lateral cracks across it.I no its a lot of cash but the pic has been a goodun the last 4 years i,ve had it so i,ll defo keep it for a couple more years.noknees

#17 chris pearce

chris pearce

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

Has anyone actually had a belt go ? I was talking to the gates engineering group (they make the belts)
They havn't seen any failure samples yet? the belts need to be fitted with an ultrasonic device to get the correct loading. twist of thumb on the longest length is not good enough.
regards
chris

Edited by JoeBlunt, 07 March 2009 - 07:12 PM.
No need to quote previous post if your post immediately follows the post you are replying to

#18 noknees

noknees

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

Has anyone actually had a belt go ? I was talking to the gates engineering group (they make the belts)
They havn't seen any failure samples yet? the belts need to be fitted with an ultrasonic device to get the correct loading. twist of thumb on the longest length is not good enough.
regards
chris

Hi Chris yep citroen use a device that measures in neems? i always did the twist test with no probs on my last 4 motors.My pic is a 2001 2litre hdi it does lots of short runs also used for long distance towing a 950 kg touring caravan which it does superbly.Maybe my cambelt would have lasted till the 100,000 mile mark indeed i decided to leave well alone when i had a looksee last sept but the deterioration over winter was quite dramatic.Local dealer mechs have seen belts break on the dw10 motor due to water pump failure,tensioer bearing failure etc but not many.Easy to check belt chris just remove top cover screw ease cover over and with car in 4th gear just pull towards you and watch belt for one rev.noknees

#19 chris pearce

chris pearce

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hi Chris yep citroen use a device that measures in neems? i always did the twist test with no probs on my last 4 motors.My pic is a 2001 2litre hdi it does lots of short runs also used for long distance towing a 950 kg touring caravan which it does superbly.Maybe my cambelt would have lasted till the 100,000 mile mark indeed i decided to leave well alone when i had a looksee last sept but the deterioration over winter was quite dramatic.Local dealer mechs have seen belts break on the dw10 motor due to water pump failure,tensioer bearing failure etc but not many.Easy to check belt chris just remove top cover screw ease cover over and with car in 4th gear just pull towards you and watch belt for one rev.noknees

Just read a report about hdi cam belts breaking and it would appear that the main problem with belts snapping are on the 806 people carrier, c8 citroen,ulysees fiat.
What happens is the belts suffer with minor cracks, but because they can get wet/damp and then frozen.
They even have a get well kit for the c8 citroen. The vans seem to suffer with this problem as well, just google it.
Still no evidence of the picasso belts breaking yet.
regards
chris

#20 noknees

noknees

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

Just read a report about hdi cam belts breaking and it would appear that the main problem with belts snapping are on the 806 people carrier, c8 citroen,ulysees fiat.
What happens is the belts suffer with minor cracks, but because they can get wet/damp and then frozen.
They even have a get well kit for the c8 citroen. The vans seem to suffer with this problem as well, just google it.
Still no evidence of the picasso belts breaking yet.
regards
chris

S ee what you mean chris looks like the dohc motors are problematic,the older 8 valve hdi,s have faired better.the 1.6 hdi,s have 16 valves but don,t think dohc.Still our 7 year old pic had no sign of cracking last sept but 6 months later the belt has 8 cracks approx 20% of the width of the belt i think as you quite rightly say down to a frozen belt being made to whiz round,also the pic engine bay does keep out alot of wheel spray.I strongly recommend pic owners with 75ooo miles have a quick check.As a newly retired fitter still getting used to computers what a good site these forums are where info can be gained from knowledgible people and pass on help and tales of experiences,maybe with my lifetime ot motor experience i will be able to pass on help.noknees