13 replies to this topic

#1 grasfrere

grasfrere

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

:( My front windscreen wiper won't stop! Even when arm mechanism disconnected from steering wheel it still won't stop. It only stops when fuse removed.
Any ideas?

#2 Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

2.0 HDi SX in Sahara Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10202 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:24 PM

Could be a computer problem ..... disconnect the battery ... wait 30 secs... reconnect .. sort out dash ... see if that works.

#3 stimulator

stimulator

20HDi SX Wicked Red, best colour for your money

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7180 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

wipers have a switch in the unit the is used to return them to the park position when you turn them OFF. maybe that has become permanent, especially as you say they still drive until you take the fuse out.

haynes shows the park contact to be fed by pin 3 on the wiper plug. Remove the plug and take out pin 3 (beware it will be live) Now try wipers they should stop instantly when swicthed OFF. If they do I'd say the contact is welded in the closed position.

Edited by stimulator, 11 July 2007 - 07:49 AM.

62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#4 grasfrere

grasfrere

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:28 PM

wipers have a switch in the unit the is used to return them to the park position when you turn them OFF. maybe that has become permanent, especially as you say they still drive until you take the fuse out.

haynes shows the park contact to be fed by pin 3 on the wiper plug. Remove the plug and take out pin 3 (beware it will be live) Now try wipers they should stop instantly when swicthed OFF. If they do I'd say the contact is welded in the closed position.

thanks stimulator
how do I identify the park contact and pin3 - I've got Haynes but not your understanding. Disconnected wiper plug from wiper arm. A grey wire and a white wire were live when ignition switched on. Extracted grey wire and retried but no change. Couldn't disconnect white wire - is there a trick? Didn't want to damage connector.
The welded contact I assume is in the wiper arm mechanism.
Any more info would help.

Edited by grasfrere, 11 July 2007 - 08:35 PM.

#5 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7180 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:59 AM

The pins are held in the plugs by a small retaining clip. Look in the plug from the wire side and you should be able to see it. A very small screwdriver will release it.

At the monment I don't know which pin is which colour wise as I don't have the manual with me at work. The wire you removed was that at one end of the plug. If it was then the other is most likely the park supply.

The Park contact is in the wiper unit, it's usually a switch made by the moving parts of the wiper motor. It's made when the wipers are away from parked.

The connections on the plug are:

Earth
Normal speed
Fast speed
Park
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#6 grasfrere

grasfrere

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

The pins are held in the plugs by a small retaining clip. Look in the plug from the wire side and you should be able to see it. A very small screwdriver will release it.

At the monment I don't know which pin is which colour wise as I don't have the manual with me at work. The wire you removed was that at one end of the plug. If it was then the other is most likely the park supply.

The Park contact is in the wiper unit, it's usually a switch made by the moving parts of the wiper motor. It's made when the wipers are away from parked.

The connections on the plug are:

Earth
Normal speed
Fast speed
Park

#7 grasfrere

grasfrere

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:22 PM

With the ignition on.
With red disconnected(shown in haynes diagram going to PIN 3) wipers work at normal speed in 3 positions but stop in fast position (no park or intermittent speed).
With green disconnected only works at normal speed in 3 positions and stops in fast position.
With brown disconnected nothing works.
With white disconnected(light guage) works at normal speed in all positions.
SEQUENCE IS park, intermittent, normal and fast.
Does this confirm your thoughts?

#8 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7180 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:09 AM

On the diagram inHaynes the park switch is the one shown with the open contact on it. Disconnect that one, once again I am without my haynes being at wrok. Tommorrow I am off to Butlitz for 4 days and will have NO PC access so will will on return

#9 grasfrere

grasfrere

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:38 PM

With the ignition on.
With red disconnected(shown in haynes diagram going to PIN 3) wipers work at normal speed in 3 positions but stop in fast position (no park or intermittent speed).
With green disconnected only works in fast position.
With brown disconnected nothing works.
With white disconnected(light guage) works at normal speed in all positions.
SEQUENCE IS park, intermittent, normal and fast.
Does this confirm your thoughts?

#10 grasfrere

grasfrere

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:55 PM

It had to go to Citroen in the end. A new ECU was required.
It was said the problem caused by turning off ignition with wipers still running, then when next in car turning wipers off before turning on ignition, thereby 'confusing' the ECU. I've often done this, maybe once too many times.
Something to think about as repair certainly not cheap.

Don't know whether new unit has solved this.

Thanks for help anyway.

#11 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7180 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

I find that a bit hard to believe as the ECU turns off the wiper output when the ignition is OFF anyway, so when it's put back ON they don't run .

#12 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4646 posts
  • Interests:fishing, motorbikes, garden, my dog

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

IFi switch ignition off while wipers are running ,then switch it backon again wipers will then either park or keep running i thought this was normal on my car

#13 andyval

andyval

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:46 PM

This happened to me, started with wipers not switching off, then one day whilst driving on motorway on way to a course with work they wouldn't come on at all. Called AA and they couldn't solve so ended up going to local Citroen dealer (wasn't near home so no choice). Cost me 300 to get new wiper BSi unit fitted (they had me over a barrel as away from home on a course and needed it back and working to get home).

#14 iannez

iannez

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

this is a software fault that every dealer should know about. it happens on berlingo's and picasso's and there is a reset procedure. been that long since i done one so i am not 100% but think this is the procedure.you remove steering cowls. look under comms and you will see a few plugs. remove the grey one. the wipers will go into back up mode and start working on normal speed. disconnect battery, replace grey plug. make sure wiper stalk is in off position and reconnect battery. turn wipers on and that should be it.