4 replies to this topic

#1 carrotts

carrotts

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

I have an 02 2.0L Hdi Picasso. Two days ago my windscreen wipers stopped working. Drove home from work with them working, got back in the car twenty minutes later and they had stopped. Checked the fuses, and they all seem fine. Checked at the Motor connector, and one of the pins has no Voltage whatever the wiper setting. Tried a motor and stalk at a scrap yard, and still no joy.
Have noticed that when I switch wipers on there is no "relay click" on the first two settings, only when I move them to maximum. The wipers still don't operate at maximum though. Would I be right in thinking that it could be a stuck or failed relay. If so, does anyone know where the relays are. I can here a relay clicking when I activate rear wipers, but can't find an actual relay anywhere. I have also tried disconnecting the battery for an hour or so, and this made no difference. Any suggestions greatly accepted before I have to admit defeat and go to the dreaded dealer!!!!!

#2 kfk

kfk

Technical Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Chat and generally messing about on here......oh yes, i know a thing or two about citroens!

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

The relay for the wipers is built into the main computer circuit board and isnt a replacable component on its own.

Before declaring the BSI faulty i would recheck the following fuses:

Fuse B - in the side of the BSI

Fuse 1 - under the bonnet

Fuse 7 - inside car

Fuse 4 - inside car

Fuse 27 - inside car

Fuse 32 - under the Bonnet

Fuse 8 - under the bonnet

Incidently..........have you had a windscreen replaced recently or have you noticed any water leaks into the car......if the windscreen is leaking it runs over the BSI and causes faults such as this.
Wants some help, give me a clue.......petrol/diesel/engine size/year....Please post messages in main forum before asking me in Private Message

....Still waiting for proof that the customer is always right
....Has anyone checked the nut holding the steering wheel?

....Has anyone seen the crystal ball?

#3 carrotts

carrotts

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:52 PM

Cheers mate I'll give that a look at now.
Had the drivers side front three quarter put through about a month and a half ago. Haven't noticed any leaks, But I'll double check.
What are the chances of me replacing the relay on the PCB, I'm an Electronic engineer so I'm competent with a soldering iron. Would I likely just scramble the Computer.
Thanks for the tips.

#4 carrotts

carrotts

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

Checked the fuses and all in tact. F27 had a 10A in place where it said 5A in manual.
Going to run a temporary switch and bypass the stalk and relays to get me to work tomorrow. Any danger in this??

#5 carrotts

carrotts

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:53 AM

Update:
My Father-in-Law swapped cars with me, saving me having to bypass the relays. While he had it he went back to the scrapyard and picked up what we presumed was the BSI box(Black box next to the fuse box) tried the one he got in the car, and it didn't work. NOt sure exactly what happened but he said it was no good. He kept it so I could swap the relay if I neeeded to. He then put the original back in, connected everything up andthe wipers started qorking properly!!! His quote "Don't ask me what I did but I fixed it". Not sure if it just unstuck a relay or something. Bit wary of it going again of course, but I suppose it will work fine until I forget about the problem then come back and bite me on the backside.
Thanks for the help KFK.