17 replies to this topic

#1 FiferC4

FiferC4

C4 Grand Picasso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

I took delivery of my C4 Grand Picasso about 3 weeks ago and within a week I had unfortuneately pick up a screw in the tread of one of the tyres. Discovering I had no spare wheel (Not informed by car salesman), I was advised by the dealership to use the supplied compressor and repair sealant until I could have the tyre repaired. I took the vehicle to Kwik Fit and was informed that the tyre could not be repaired as I had used the repair sealant (Cost of a new tyre £160) !! I took the vehicle to the dealership and asked for the tyre to be repaired. About an hour later I was contacted by telephone and informed the tyre could not be repaired because the screw was too near the wall of the tyre but no mention of the fact I had used the repair sealant.

On picking up the vehicle I asked if the screw had been in the middle of the tyre tread, could it have been repaired and what the situation was with having used the sealant. This was met with some puzzled looks and after some questions with the tyre department, I was informed that because I had used the sealant, the tyre could not be repaired regardless of where the screw was situated on the tyre.

I also expressed concern re the situation of a blow-out on the motorway, where the sealant would be of no use. The staff at the garage were in agreement that it was far from a satisfactory situation.

The moral: If possible, think twice before using the sealant.

#2 bigtoe

bigtoe

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:10 PM

Hi
Heavens this is bad news you would think this would have been able to be use without having to buy new rubber. :(

#3 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

Is there room to carry a Spare wheel (i.e. Rack underneath)?
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#4 kfk

kfk

Technical Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Chat and generally messing about on here......oh yes, i know a thing or two about citroens!

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:53 PM

If you have air suspension at the rear the compressor is situated where you would normally put your spare tyre!

Should also consider that where the sealant is used, if you have tyre pressure sensors it can also cause these to fail/operate inefficiently, so they may also require replacement.
Wants some help, give me a clue.......petrol/diesel/engine size/year....Please post messages in main forum before asking me in Private Message

....Still waiting for proof that the customer is always right
....Has anyone checked the nut holding the steering wheel?

....Has anyone seen the crystal ball?

#5 Stan.S.

Stan.S.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

In other words, the decision not to provide this model with a proper spare wheel is a bit of a disaster!!!
C4 Picasso, 1.6 HDi, VTR+ EGS . 61 plate. Arctic steel.

#6 Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

2.0 HDi SX in Sahara Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10202 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

I use Ultraseal on the bike. It has the consistency of wallpaper paste, water soluble and will seal a hole upto 6mm to get you home.

In the case of a puncture, the sealant is removed with a hose and in two minutes clean as a new pin.

Since this stuff is put in and stays put until a puncture occurs, it is ready to seal as the air rushes out of the hole. In rushing out the sealant material will clog the hole, allowing you to get home to make a permanent repair / replace. I would not recommend it unless you regularly inspect your tyres and not many cage drivers do that!

#7 wanna new picasso

wanna new picasso

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

There has been many a debate on my motorcycle club forum about ultraseal. And recently it has transpired that Pirelli will not replace a faulty motorcycle tyre under warranty if a pre emptive tyre sealant has been used.

Citroen must be mad not to provide a spare i certainly won't buy the 7 seater if that is the case. Can't afford one anyway, Now does the 5 seater have a spare? :blink:
Now Me got a C4 Picasso VTR+ in Tivoli Blue (Again)
C3 Picasso Exclusive white.
C4 Picasso SX Tivoli Blue
C5 vtr Iron Grey
Xsara picasso SX arctic blue
do i like Citroens?

#8 Marvin

Marvin

Skoda Yeti SE Greenline II, 1.6TDi, Steel Grey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:47 PM

All C4 5 seater Picassos have a spare wheel except the Exclusive which has pneumatic rear suspension and therefore no space for a spare. Don't know about the 7-seaters.

If you can AFFORD the exclusive, you can afford a new tyre every time you get a puncture! :devil:

However, I did read in one review (can't remember which as I've looked at so many) that in certain circumstances those with air suspension can be fitted with a space-saver spare. I'll try to find out where I read it.

"Life? Don't talk to me about life....."

#9 Marvin

Marvin

Skoda Yeti SE Greenline II, 1.6TDi, Steel Grey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:32 PM

I've found the review I was referring to. On the Citroenet website there is a very long article on the C4 Picasso.... (there is more than one, you need the one headed C4 Picasso, but dealing with the 7-seater; there's another dealing with the 5 seater). A long way through there is a heading "Efficient running gear", and thissection includes the statement: "Anti-puncture kit fitted as standard, and can also be fitted with a temporary spare wheel for some markets"

The Ctroenet site is superb, with details of just about every Citroen vehicle ever built.... so it has a long and complicated index, and finding the relevant bits can be time-consuming, but well worth the trouble.

Just put "Citroenet" into Google and you'll find it. Sorry, I don't know how to post links.

Edited by Marvin, 18 April 2007 - 09:33 PM.

"Life? Don't talk to me about life....."

#10 kfk

kfk

Technical Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Chat and generally messing about on here......oh yes, i know a thing or two about citroens!

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:36 PM

Or read the brochure fully, check the website brochure because it is more often most upto date and be aware that some models come with sealant, some come with a spare wheel & some come with the option of a spare wheel at additional cost.

Personally i like this idea of not giving the customers what they want.......it takes us back to the old days, a cigarette lighter was an optional extra, you chose whether to have a radio.....maybe they will bring back vinyl roof kits aswell.......think of the money us dealers can make.
Wants some help, give me a clue.......petrol/diesel/engine size/year....Please post messages in main forum before asking me in Private Message

....Still waiting for proof that the customer is always right
....Has anyone checked the nut holding the steering wheel?

....Has anyone seen the crystal ball?

#11 David W

David W

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

Hi everyone, i just had a puncture this morning (G Picasso) and had to use the tyre sealant provided (was not told about the fact it did not have a spare). This stuff costs over £20 quid to replace, can only use it on one tyre (at least i could) and you can not repair the tyre after you use it. Those in higher office at Citroen need to take a serious look at this i think!!!! On the positive side i am a motability driver and it is easy to use but for those of us who dont get their tyres as part of a contract this would cost in excess of £100 quid to replace a tyre and replace the sealant. Personally i will be nipping down to Hallfords for a cheaper alternative i think.

#12 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

I think I'd do a deal when I was buying a C4 Pic to include a Spare Wheel.................... B)
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#13 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1152 posts
  • Interests:fast trucks and even faster women.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

I have been harping on about this for years. Sealant may sort a puncture but is no use when a blowout or severe sidewall damage occurs.
A young Volvo salesman was going to eject me from his stand at the motor show because of my comments about his new model not having a spare wheel. He came up with statistics which showed that punctures only happen once in a blue moon. My argument is that a spare is like an insurance policy--you hope you will never need it, but it's there if you do.
I have also written threads on this site about location of spare wheels, particularly in respect of load carrying vehicles. Not fitting a spare wheel is an accountants gimic to cut manufacturing costs--buy cheap--buy dear.
Those who advocate not fitting a spare should provide their 24hr phone number so we can call them to rescue us when tyre problems occur lol lol. Punctures seldom occur in close proximity to a spacious lay- by on a lovely summers day, when your not in a hurry!

Edited by blondchaser, 23 July 2009 - 05:35 PM.

#14 pilot

pilot

1.6Hdi 2005 Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Flying and drinking red wine. ( Not at the same time since I spilt a glass)
    Now driving 2013 Peugeot 2008 Allure EGS 1.6Hdi.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

I worked for Fords for 31 years and my clear opinion was that customers should be provided with a fifth wheel and tyre identical to the other four.ie if you have 4 alloys you should have a full sized alloy spare and so on. Although punctures are reasonably rare they always happen in the most inconvenient places and at the most inconvenient times and to provide customers with a speed limited spare or a puncture repair kit is totally unacceptable.As a previous member stated it is an accountants solution not an engineers to the problem.The cost to manufactures is peanuts but as they always told us when we complained a pound saved on a model is big bucks when you are selling millions.They will only change when customers demand it.Complain loud and long.
Posted Image

#15 biggazza2010

biggazza2010

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

I worked for Fords for 31 years and my clear opinion was that customers should be provided with a fifth wheel and tyre identical to the other four.ie if you have 4 alloys you should have a full sized alloy spare and so on. Although punctures are reasonably rare they always happen in the most inconvenient places and at the most inconvenient times and to provide customers with a speed limited spare or a puncture repair kit is totally unacceptable.As a previous member stated it is an accountants solution not an engineers to the problem.The cost to manufactures is peanuts but as they always told us when we complained a pound saved on a model is big bucks when you are selling millions.They will only change when customers demand it.Complain loud and long.

#16 biggazza2010

biggazza2010

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

hi, new member here .i have 58 plate c4 grand picasso and have had 3 flat tyres so far. used the foam once it was crap had all three tyres replaced. only done 5700 mls.

#17 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1152 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

Worth Consideration.
If tyre is only punctured and no other damage, clean out sealant and get a proper tyre depot to fit a "Tubeless Tube". (If still on market). These tubes were specially made for tubeless tyres, and we had to fit them to dads Volvo which unfortunately had these alloy wheels fitted when he bought it----worked a treat.

#18 blondchaser

blondchaser

1.6 Hdi (Royal Blue)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1152 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

I took delivery of my C4 Grand Picasso about 3 weeks ago and within a week I had unfortuneately pick up a screw in the tread of one of the tyres. Discovering I had no spare wheel (Not informed by car salesman), I was advised by the dealership to use the supplied compressor and repair sealant until I could have the tyre repaired. I took the vehicle to Kwik Fit and was informed that the tyre could not be repaired as I had used the repair sealant (Cost of a new tyre £160) !! I took the vehicle to the dealership and asked for the tyre to be repaired. About an hour later I was contacted by telephone and informed the tyre could not be repaired because the screw was too near the wall of the tyre but no mention of the fact I had used the repair sealant.

On picking up the vehicle I asked if the screw had been in the middle of the tyre tread, could it have been repaired and what the situation was with having used the sealant. This was met with some puzzled looks and after some questions with the tyre department, I was informed that because I had used the sealant, the tyre could not be repaired regardless of where the screw was situated on the tyre.

I also expressed concern re the situation of a blow-out on the motorway, where the sealant would be of no use. The staff at the garage were in agreement that it was far from a satisfactory situation.

The moral: If possible, think twice before using the sealant.

From WALKERS i hope---otherwise NO promises delivered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!