56 replies to this topic

#1 bullfinch

bullfinch

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:08 AM

Iv'e owned a 2004 2.0 HDI picasso desire for approximately 6 months now. I was informed that the fuel economy was on average over 50 miles to the gallon! However this is not the case with me. On average fuel computer tells me I am only averaging around 38 miles per gallon, and on a full tank of diesel getting approximately 370 miles. I am very disappointed in the fuel economy, as this is my first diesel and was expecting more! I always take particular care in driving softly and nerver let the engine rev high! Can anyone tell me if they are experiencing similar problems, and what sort of economy they are getting?

#2 Opener

Opener

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:17 PM

Apart from the colour, I would reckon I've got just about the identical car. Just over 35k and due a service in a couple of weeks ie nothing remarkable. I reckon I'm fairly light footed but I do like to stick my toe down occasionally just for the Hell of it. Most journeys are backwards and forwards to work - dual carriageway at 50mph then rush hour crawl - half and half over ten miles each way. Plus a bit if pottering around urban areas at the weekends. And an occasional trip of 100miles each way on dual carriageway with York city centre in the middle.

I reckon consumption has a fair bit to do with how you use the car. Using Mr Morrison's best black stuff ie supermarket el cheapo, I have consistently got just over 50 mpg indicated over the last 2500 to 3000 miles.

I would be seriously dischuffed with 38 since I was getting 41.5 with my previous Pic which was an X 1.6SX petrol.

#3 Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

2.0 HDi SX in Sahara Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10202 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:40 PM

My fuel consumption is gradually worsening .. must be going onto winter diesel mix.... deicer!

Normally get 50mpg +/- 2 mpg .. now 48 ish ... will go to 45 is when really cold

#4 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4646 posts
  • Interests:fishing, motorbikes, garden, my dog

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:00 PM

Im not too sure what mine does to a gallon but its a lot , :D

as for the dash computer well ive never managed to work it out :oops:

#5 motorman116

motorman116

Ford Mondeo Tdci 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:43 PM

My fuel consumption is gradually worsening .. must be going onto winter diesel mix.... deicer!

Normally get 50mpg +/- 2 mpg .. now 48 ish ... will go to 45 is when really cold

Its not just the fuel, but things like the oil is a lot thicker when cold, and the air is also more densor when cold, and that we have to use the electrics more, this adds more strain on the engine, thus burns more fuel
2007 (57) 2.4 tdci Ford Transit long wheel base, high top van, 6 seater crew cab, Rear wheel drive

#6 Rob.S

Rob.S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts
  • Interests:Severn Valley Railway. Steam Locomotives. Photography. Rallying

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:09 PM

:bhead: Derby......... Technology blackspot of the UK :alien:
'02 2.0Hdi.... in Cool Mint

Volunteer worker... Severn Valley Railway.

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.

View my Flickr photos here

How to drive in snow - no studs !!!

#7 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4646 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:56 PM

:bhead: Derby......... Technology blackspot of the UK :alien:

i thought you would be about lol. :P

but all my other cars have run very well without it lol :lol: :lol:

#8 Najj

Najj

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Spread Betting, Fiancial Markets, PC's , women..

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

Hi,
I'm only getting about 33mpg on my 2.0HDi Picasso, and I'm not happy at all. I know it's not the fuel filter, air filter, engine oil my driving habits, the tyre pressures. My average speed is 17mph, as most of my journeys are short (4miles to work, 8 miles return).
The car is booked in @ Citroen this Thursday to have a look at the problem under warranty, but I bet they'll say they can't find anything wrong with it.
I've even collected data from other Picasso drivers to see if anyone has a lower figure then me. Got to http://picassodata.awardspace.com to fill in your data. Once I've got over 50 entries I'll publish a chart, currently I have 33 entries.
On the good news side, when I went to Bournemouth a few weeks back I average 58mpg over a 250 mile journey. The bad news is even if I do a 30 miles in urban traffic I still only average 33mph.
Please fill in your data on the website:- http://picassodata.awardspace.com

Thanks,

Nash

#9 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6199 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:29 PM

Hi,
I'm only getting about 33mpg on my 2.0HDi Picasso,
Please fill in your data on the website:- http://picassodata.awardspace.com

Thanks,

Nash

I think that you answered the problem yourself. You say "My average speed is 17mph, as most of my journeys are short (4miles to work, 8 miles return)."

In 4 miles the engine will not have fully warmed up. I once read the VW didn't consider an engine up to temperature 'till it had done 12 miles. Admittedly this was about 20 years ago and since then manufacturers have advanced somewhat but I'll bet that it is still much more than 5 miles, especially in winter. Just because the water temperature guage shows three bars it doesn't mean that all the metal parts have reached efficient working levels.

When you did a reasonably long run you got normal figures that should be expected.

Edited by lancelot, 21 November 2006 - 06:31 PM.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#10 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, woder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7622 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:32 PM

still getting 47.1 out of ours on a short run and 48 on longs at 65/70 mph. just had ot serviced. NO COMPLAINTS
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#11 PETER35

PETER35

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:57 AM

hello

Was just wondering what any owners of PICASSO Xsarra 1.6lxi were getting MPg wise. I recently got 120 miles from 19.94 litres this going on filling the tank and then replacing what I had used, then dividing miles by UK GALLON.

Most journeys are 7 miles to work frequent traffic light stops in the city, mainly short journeys. I am struggling to get anything other than 26.6 miles per gallon, which i feel is pretty bad. I love the space and storage of the Picasso but when it comes to Economy , blind spots, poor suspension and clunky gear change i think for a modern car it is the pits. the computer on the car says i am achieving 36 mpg on average?

My Pic is a 02 petrol 1.6 with 37k on the clock.

Any comments welcome in comparison to usege

#12 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4646 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

my pic does not have poor suspension, as for blind spots have you tried moving your head around
for economy you should have bought a diesel

#13 RHP

RHP

Former Picasso 1.8SX Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4154 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:33 PM

I love the space and storage of the Picasso but when it comes to Economy , blind spots, poor suspension and clunky gear change i think for a modern car it is the pits.

My 1.8SX - average over 2 years nearly 40mpg - excellent :)
What blind spots :unsure:
Suspension and internal comfort - unsurpassed (to date) :)
Gear change - Loved the position and the action :) :) :)

Overall - excellent value for money.

----------- Please help keep Vulcan XH558 flying ----------
------------------ www.vulcantothesky.org ----------------

#14 motorman116

motorman116

Ford Mondeo Tdci 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:00 PM

still getting 47.1 out of ours on a short run and 48 on longs at 65/70 mph. just had ot serviced. NO COMPLAINTS

Just done a 300 mile trip and got 53.3 mpg and thats at 70mph well pleased with that
2007 (57) 2.4 tdci Ford Transit long wheel base, high top van, 6 seater crew cab, Rear wheel drive

#15 jarigo

jarigo

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Motoring, DIY, Sport,Internet,Country &Western& Irish music.

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

My 54 plate 1.6hdi gives me 57 to 61 mpg mixed driving with very comfortable seating and suspension .This is my second Pic and my next car wil more than likely be the same unless the new c4 Picasso 5 seater comes in at a reasonable price. :D :D :D :D

#16 PETER35

PETER35

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:23 PM

YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE A BIGGER HEAD AND BACKSIDE THAN ME!

HAVE YOU GOT AN ANORAK AND NOTEBOOK?

#17 warbird

warbird

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:40 PM

Hi, I always love to read threads discussing MPG All, are the same, some are unhappy, some massage their consumption figures, In this day & age it is almost impossible to get accurate fuel burn figures, road & weather conditions, other road users, when you drive,where you bought the fuel from. All these will alter how much you use per mile. I think as long as we don't drop into the 'teens' we should not take too much notice, the main things to look at are, Servicing, tyre pressures &, your right foot! The best economy acssesory I have heard of was two drawing pins stuck head down on the throttle pedal & the driver only wearing thick socks while driving! :lol:

#18 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4646 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:43 PM

NO here,s another ddrive with an egg under foot lol

#19 PETER35

PETER35

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

My 54 plate 1.6hdi gives me 57 to 61 mpg mixed driving with very comfortable seating and suspension .This is my second Pic and my next car wil more than likely be the same unless the new c4 Picasso 5 seater comes in at a reasonable price. :D :D :D :D

I DONT REALLY THINK COMPARING PETROL TO DIESEL GIVES ANY SORT OF COMPARISON PICTURE, I WAS LOOKING FOR COMPARISONS WITH 1.6I PETROL ENGINES.

THANKS FOR YOUR SENSIBLE ANSWER WARBIRD, NOT LIKE SOME OF THE SARCASTIC POSTERS WE HAVE ONHERE.

Hi, I always love to read threads discussing MPG All, are the same, some are unhappy, some massage their consumption figures, In this day & age it is almost impossible to get accurate fuel burn figures, road & weather conditions, other road users, when you drive,where you bought the fuel from. All these will alter how much you use per mile. I think as long as we don't drop into the 'teens' we should not take too much notice, the main things to look at are, Servicing, tyre pressures &, your right foot! The best economy acssesory I have heard of was two drawing pins stuck head down on the throttle pedal & the driver only wearing thick socks while driving! :lol:

I THOUGHT LIKE THE MANUFACTURERS, SOME OWNERS DO MASSAGE THE MPG FIGURES, BIT LIKE THOSE WHO GO ABROAD AND MASSAGE THE LOCAL TEMPERATURE!

#20 RHP

RHP

Former Picasso 1.8SX Owner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4154 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

THANKS FOR YOUR SENSIBLE ANSWER WARBIRD, NOT LIKE SOME OF THE SARCASTIC POSTERS WE HAVE ONHERE.

At least the "sarcastic" ones don't SHOUT all the time (caps lock off please) :( nor do they make inflammatory and derogatory subjective statements concerning multiple aspects of their vehicles "(when it comes to Economy , blind spots, poor suspension and clunky gear change i think for a modern car it is the pits)" :unsure:

----------- Please help keep Vulcan XH558 flying ----------
------------------ www.vulcantothesky.org ----------------