18 replies to this topic

#1 Dag

Dag

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:50 PM

If anybody is looking to replace their gaiter this guy is selling them on ebay for 4.99 + 2.50 postage.
It looks identical to the one I bought, but I paid nearer 15-quid for mine, bloody typical. :(
These leather ones look 100% better then the vinyl original & will hopefully last a bit longer as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

#2 DAVY

DAVY

2.0 Hdi 2002 (Taxi)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:motorbikes ,cars, shooting,and drinkin also my staffie dogs

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

:D thanks daq just ordered one they look good quality only time will tell thanks again :D

#3 Rob.S

Rob.S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts
  • Interests:Severn Valley Railway. Steam Locomotives. Photography. Rallying

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:24 PM

Tell us what it's like when you get it, Davy. Mine needs replacing.
'02 2.0Hdi.... in Cool Mint

Volunteer worker... Severn Valley Railway.

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.

View my Flickr photos here

How to drive in snow - no studs !!!

#4 Dag

Dag

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

The only problems I had fitting mine were the elastic around the neck of the gaiter was very (& I mean very) tight. It does go over the gear knob eventually, you just have to use lots of swear words. :)

The other problem was getting the gear knob off the gear stick. I twisted mine anti clockwise whilst pulling hard & off it came.

#5 DAVY

DAVY

2.0 Hdi 2002 (Taxi)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:52 AM

it should be here soon i ll let u know what its like rob also how do u get the plastic inserts out at the bottom of the gear stick to fit the gator on :blink: :blink: :wacko: :wacko:

#6 Dag

Dag

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:41 PM

it should be here soon i ll let u know what its like rob also how do u get the plastic inserts out at the bottom of the gear stick to fit the gator on :blink: :blink: :wacko: :wacko:

The plastic insert (it's one piece) at the bottom of the gaiter is easy to remove.
Just get hold of one of the top 2 corners with the tips of your fingers & carefully pull it up.
The gaiter has little slits around its bottom edge which fit over nibs on the plastic insert then an elastic band holds it on.
If in doubt just cut the old gaiter off then you can see better what you are doing but believe me it was very easy to do.

#7 Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:48 PM

Gear lever knob is also easy to remove. Just pull straight up - hard - without twisting,and it just comes off.
1.6 HDi VTR+ C4 Picasso Arctic Steel July 2009

#8 DAVY

DAVY

2.0 Hdi 2002 (Taxi)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:54 PM

:cheers: what holds the gear knob on and are the newer knobs the same fitting ie the new silver ones :huh:

#9 Punto

Punto

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

When you're putting the new gaiter on make sure that you put the locating slits onto the plastic insert in the right position. They should fit in one position only (with the seam facing the windscreen on mine) also don't try and force the insert in the wrong position cos you'll break it.

#10 DAVY

DAVY

2.0 Hdi 2002 (Taxi)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:42 PM

:D got my new gator rob just to let you know it looks fine and it is leather going to put it on tomorrow better than the original comes with full fitting instructions total cost 7.48

Edited by DAVY, 25 September 2006 - 09:45 PM.

#11 dave56

dave56

1.6 Hdi (110)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:05 PM

:D got my new gator rob just to let you know it looks fine and it is leather going to put it on tomorrow better than the original comes with full fitting instructions total cost 7.48

I bought one too but no instructions!

#12 DAVY

DAVY

2.0 Hdi 2002 (Taxi)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:15 PM

:rolleyes: the instructions are on the back of the bill :rolleyes:

#13 Rob.S

Rob.S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts
  • Interests:Severn Valley Railway. Steam Locomotives. Photography. Rallying

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:18 PM

:cheers: Davy - I'll get one (once I've sorted out the door lock solenoid which has just started firkin me about :( )
'02 2.0Hdi.... in Cool Mint

Volunteer worker... Severn Valley Railway.

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.

View my Flickr photos here

How to drive in snow - no studs !!!

#14 dave56

dave56

1.6 Hdi (110)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

:rolleyes: the instructions are on the back of the bill :rolleyes:

No bill!

#15 chrissy

chrissy

1.6 SX 2004 Petrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:CARS, COMPUTERS, FILMS, FOOTBALL, DOGS

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:37 PM

hiya

me got one to now i just gotta tryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to put it on is it easy

chris

When you're putting the new gaiter on make sure that you put the locating slits onto the plastic insert in the right position. They should fit in one position only (with the seam facing the windscreen on mine) also don't try and force the insert in the wrong position cos you'll break it.

hiya i got one but got no fitting instructions any chance of a copy mate

cheers

chris

#16 Paul A

Paul A

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Sport, but mainly cycling and running of any kind! Bit of Triathlon when the urge takes me!

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:47 PM

A slight aside but...

Gear lever knob is also easy to remove. Just pull straight up - hard - without twisting,and it just comes off.

Not twisting is very important as you will break the white plastic 'bit' that holds the knob to the metal shaft. If you do break the plastic bit the gear knob will turn on the shaft and it is very annoying. It is, however, not nearly as annoying as finding out that you cannot buy the plastic bit on it's own but must also buy the gear lever mechanism that attaches to it for the princely sum of 49.99 + VAT. Not a mistake you make twice!

Anyway, being I tightwad I am living with a spinning gear knob until I can find a local scrappy with a Pic in it (there are of loads of these things on the road, is no-one crashing them?!?! :D ).

Cheers Paul

Edited for: pour speeling

Edited by Paul A, 26 September 2006 - 03:48 PM.

#17 chrissy

chrissy

1.6 SX 2004 Petrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:CARS, COMPUTERS, FILMS, FOOTBALL, DOGS

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:37 PM

put it on bloody hell does that hurt your fingers trying to get it on to gear knob :angry: looks damn good though

#18 Dag

Dag

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

A slight aside but...

Not twisting is very important as you will break the white plastic 'bit' that holds the knob to the metal shaft. If you do break the plastic bit the gear knob will turn on the shaft and it is very annoying. It is, however, not nearly as annoying as finding out that you cannot buy the plastic bit on it's own but must also buy the gear lever mechanism that attaches to it for the princely sum of 49.99 + VAT. Not a mistake you make twice!

Anyway, being I tightwad I am living with a spinning gear knob until I can find a local scrappy with a Pic in it (there are of loads of these things on the road, is no-one crashing them?!?! :D ).

Cheers Paul

Edited for: pour speeling

I had a Renault 19 a few years back with a spinning gear knob. I poured a bit of araldite (epoxy adhesive) into the knob, shoved it on & it never spun again.

Btw, my knob refused to come of (how many double entendres are there in this thread?) by just pulling, I had to twist mine & pull to remove it, no damage done.
I was told to twist it anti clockwise, not clockwise, then you don't break anything.

Edited by Dag, 28 September 2006 - 08:20 PM.

#19 Paul A

Paul A

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Sport, but mainly cycling and running of any kind! Bit of Triathlon when the urge takes me!

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:38 AM

I was told to twist it anti clockwise, not clockwise, then you don't break anything

Ah ha, so that's where I went wrong! Now mine is broken it's difficult to see how the thing works so cheers for the correction. :cheers: I will try and remember for next time! :blush:

Paul