#1 IcarusBop

IcarusBop

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hello:
I'm a new proud owner of a picasso - what a great car!

Anyhow - my aircon is nearly out of gas (it gets a bit cool...) Citroen want 85 to fill it up again.
You can buy cans of refigerant from halfords for various prices depending on the size of the can (and if it has a pressure guage on it) - has anyone tried one of these to re-gas their own aircon?

If so; where is the gassing point - I think I've found it - there are two aluminium pipes at the back of the engine bay with valves on each and a black cover cap on the valves - I suspect these are the Aircon pipes - but was hoping someone could confirm they are and which of the two vales to put the gas in (or does it not matter)

Thanks.

#2 pwbaines

pwbaines

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:48 PM

Hello:
I'm a new proud owner of a picasso - what a great car!

Anyhow - my aircon is nearly out of gas (it gets a bit cool...) Citroen want 85 to fill it up again.
You can buy cans of refigerant from halfords for various prices depending on the size of the can (and if it has a pressure guage on it) - has anyone tried one of these to re-gas their own aircon?

If so; where is the gassing point - I think I've found it - there are two aluminium pipes at the back of the engine bay with valves on each and a black cover cap on the valves - I suspect these are the Aircon pipes - but was hoping someone could confirm they are and which of the two vales to put the gas in (or does it not matter)

Thanks.

Hello
I had the same problem with my xsara - it is the cheapest option to get the can from Halfrauds, it costs 39.99 a silly price! but it is cheaper than the alternative paying 85 from Citroen. It works fine and it does have a guage on it to check if it needs topping up, an cheaper alternative may be found on eBay though! The valves you are concerned with are the input and output ones for the aircon, it will be easy to spot the one you want when you offer the can up to the valve (remember to take of the caps first!) takes 10 mins to do the job and it may not even need any top up! I used the ones from Halfrauds no problems!!
Paul W Baines[i][size=4]

#3 Sir Bottletree

Sir Bottletree

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests: Eating junk(preferably chips), watchin telly, looking at my car and teasing the wife and kid. Yes i am fat. No i'm not idle. I can be an idiot at times.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

Click on my assistant at the top and put in re-gas air con. You will find loads of posts relating to this.
I would rather pay a garage 100 to 200 to do the job properly than mess around with the air conditioning. I actually got mine done for 50 plus a thorough check up of all my air con parts.
If you are asking where the pipes are in the engine, that leads me to ask you should you be doing his? :oops:

#4 Citroeneddie

Citroeneddie

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:01 PM

Get the garage to do it. Warranty included and peace of mind.
2005 C5 1.6Hdi VTR Estate Arctic Steel
2006 Picasso 1.6i Desire Arctic Steel
2006 C1 1.0 Vibe Scarlet Red
2008 C4 EGS VTR+ Black on order!

#5 Rob.S

Rob.S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts
  • Interests:Severn Valley Railway. Steam Locomotives. Photography. Rallying

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:05 AM

Have a look in yellow pages (or yell.com) for auto air con speciallists. You should find a couple in your area - some even come to you. They should be cheaper than the stealerships.
'02 2.0Hdi.... in Cool Mint

Volunteer worker... Severn Valley Railway.

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.

View my Flickr photos here

How to drive in snow - no studs !!!

#6 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, woder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7622 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:02 AM

If yuo have no idea what you are getting into then back off and get a 'pro' to do it for you.

the tin can must be connected into the compressor inlet side low pressure or you will be in danger of releasing the high pressure side into the can.

The two valve allow the pro to connect his twin pressure gauge set up to your car and balance the inlet and outlet pressures to correct levels.

this was common practise out in Saudi Arabia. Those cars had a viewing window which allowed you to see the bubble sin the liquid. Engine was running and can connected and valve opened until bubbles stopped.

Edited by stimulator, 26 August 2006 - 11:04 AM.

62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS