Daddy Dog

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, DIY, Badminton

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a 53 plate C3 1.4 HDI 16v (I know it's not a picasso, but I do also own one of those). I hope someone can help me with this problem. I've had it before in a Rover 420 SLDI I used to own.

The fan motor will only work when the fan switch is in position 4. The fuse is obviously OK, as the fan would not work at all - right? Without taking the majority of the dash board apart (nightmare job), I cannot see how I can get at either the fan switch or the fan itself. Taking this problem to a dealer, I guess, would cost approx £200 +.

Can a competent person please assist me in narrowing down the fault to the switch or fan connections, or even if a relay may be at fault?

Oh, by the way I never did get the Rover's fan fixed. After many a night spent taking the dashboard apart, I eventually gave in! :bhead:

Yours Hopefully
D Dog

#2 martinberry

martinberry

Diesel Hdi Xsara Picasso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:14 PM

hi, had a simular problem with a nissan i once owned traked the fault down to a resistor board that had burnt out it was mounted within the heater itself, sorry but do not know where it will be mounted on yours.

#3 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7785 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:17 PM

Excellent choice of second or first car. Mines a 54 1.4 HDi SX. is your A/C auto climate or manual, the 54 plate came with Auto climate control

If the fan will not work on anything less than 4 then the control resistor box is U/S. I believe this is mounted in the heater unit to keep it cool. I will look in my C3 haynes book and get back to you.

the Haynes manual is worth the £15 as is the one for the Pic.
62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#4 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7785 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:20 PM

Me again, you say it's a 53 plate it must have a warranty with it even if you bought it privately the previous owner will have had 3 years. I believe that that is transferable but you'd need to read the warranty book or talk to a dfealer.
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS

#5 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:39 PM

I've just bought a 53 plate C3 1.4 HDI 16v (I know it's not a picasso, but I do also own one of those). I hope someone can help me with this problem.

The fan motor will only work when the fan switch is in position 4.

Taking this problem to a dealer, I guess, would cost approx £200 +.

1): This is covered by warranty :det:

2): Resistor faulty :det:

3): F.O.C :det:
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#6 Daddy Dog

Daddy Dog

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the replies.

It's a manual A/C model.

Stimulator / Joe you have both replied to my previous queries on the picasso - you guys are great!

The car has done 79k miles, so I guess it is out of warranty. I've looked in the warranty guide detail book that came with the car, and it appears that its 60k miles or 2 years. I'm not the greatest of brains but thats what it looks like. Happy to be told otherwise though.

I've also read some previous e-letters on this subject and it looks as though it's the resistor.

Stimulator, I would be very greatful if you could look in the manual and get back to me, either to provide me further advice or tell me you can't help. Ideally I need to know where the resistor is, to reduce the amount of disassembly of the vehicle.
Thank you both.

D Dog

#7 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:39 PM

My guess would be to take the glove box out and it'll be fitted inline near the heater, Heater fan resistors come in all shapes & sizes, my one on the Mondeo looked a bit like a giant fuse.

If you buy one from your Citroen Dealer 99% of the time the guy on the parts counter will know its location & how to get to it, even if that fails once you've got your glovebox out you know what to look for! :det:

Attached Files

• Attached File  hr.jpg   5.74KB   17 downloads

joeblunt@hotmail.com

#8 Daddy Dog

Daddy Dog

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:16 PM

Joe,

Many thanks for the swift reply. I visited my Citroen dealer (Boro Cars - P'boro) this morning, where he couldn't give me an exact location of the resistor, but thought it would be on or close to the heater matrix / fan unit. I thought he might have a had a look on his data base for me but he didn't and politely explained he wasn't a technical help desk!

I'll remove the glove box, as you suggest. Your picture will definately help me identify the part. Without it, it would be a needle in a haystack situation.

I also enquired about the warranty for the C3, and was told, as I believed, the cover was for 2 years or 60k miles, so no go I'm afraid. You've got to ask though haven't you!

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
D Dog

#9 gray52

gray52

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:31 PM

hey, boro cars p,boro. thats my local dealer. i must say when ever ive asked how or where a bit goes they have always looked it up on the computer and showed me where it goes.

you should have reminded them that they only have jobs because of people like you needing spare parts, and abit of help with the part goes along way with customer relations.

alot of main dealers dont supply info on there parts, they just want you to book it in and charge you to look at it, well i think we all can look at stuff, but we dont get £65 + vat for doing so.

#10 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:53 PM

I'll remove the glove box, as you suggest. Your picture will definately help me identify the part. Without it, it would be a needle in a haystack situation.

Is there a removable panel at the side of the central console? This might get you better access to the heater.
Growing old is compulsory; growing up isn't!
If you're not part of the solution...
...you're part of the precipitate!

#11 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7785 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

Sorry for delay but have had other things to do.
the access is thru the hole that is filled by the gloove box.

Haynes says to remove the lid by easing out the hinge pins
Then remove the screws
Then remove the gloove box.

Heater can then be seen.

Disconnect the plug undo the retaining screws rotate the fan and pull out. I assume that the controller is inside the unit. It is not shown in the Haynes book.

Hope this helps

#12 Daddy Dog

Daddy Dog

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for your replies.

[Grey - Boro Cars have been fairly good to me with advice until the last visit - must have caught them with post Christmas blues]. :(

I really wish I had taken the time to read all of your postings before I had removed the glove box and spent over an hour contorting my body under the dash board and upper limbs through the glove box apperture! :huh:

Although I saw the fan motor housing, I still could not see anything resembling a resisitor panel or the like. I'll have another go later next week, when I'll locate the fan and make a brave attempt at removing it. Do any of you know if the driver's side has better access, before my second attempt?

I've also looked in the Haynes manual for the pic, where the electrical schematic diagram shows a resistor panel in between the fan switch and the fan motor. If all else fails, I'll follow the wires from the motor to the next junction/connector and see what that looks like.

Many thanks for the continued help. :cheers:
Regards
D Dog

#13 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:15 PM

Your picture will definately help me identify the part. Without it, it would be a needle in a haystack situation.

I also enquired about the warranty for the C3, and was told, as I believed, the cover was for 2 years or 60k miles, so no go I'm afraid. You've got to ask though haven't you!

The Picture I posted is not the actual resistor, they come in all shapes & sizes it was just an example. This unit will be inline between the Switch & Fan most manufacturers fit it near the Heater mattrix. :det:

What I mean't in my earlier post was for you to buy the resistor then when you strip out the Glove box you'll know exactly what you're looking for....... :det:

I believe all Citroen models the warranty is 3 years / 37,500mls or 2 years / 60,000mls as my mate is a driving instructor and his car had done 55k in 20 months the dealer claimed it was out of warranty but CUK said no as he had exceeded the 37,500ml marker the other conditions kick in. No one tells the customer because if Joe Public thinks he has no warranty with his 25 month old Pic with 40k on the clock - CUK are in a Win / Win situation :det:

Happy Hunting!
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#14 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7785 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:31 PM

Haynes manual shows the heater etc in the COOLING section towards the front of the book. As the resistor pack will get hot when in use they are usaully mounted in the unit so that they are cooled by the airflow.

The fan is at top left or as you look in thru the gloove box hole at the top of the unit.

Note Haynes call it a BLOWER motor not a FAN, when you look in the index.

#15 Daddy Dog

Daddy Dog

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:43 PM

Joe/Stimulator,

Thank you for the advice.

I looked from the driver's side and saw an element. It was inserted within the airflow, in side the air ductwork, just above the heater matrix. Is this the resistor? It looks more like a thermistor to me! I can't remember how to attach photo images :oops:
It is a long tube with sections cut out of it for air flow. At the end it has a bulbus node. There are two wires connecting it.
I've ordered a maintenance/service cd disc from e-bay for the c3 (£4.00 approx). So that should help.
I've now decided to wait until I've visited the Citroen dealer again, where I will purchase the part and then, as you suggest, trace it back to its home. Also get an idea from the parts counter as to where (exactly) it is located. I just cannot see enough to be definate where it is.

Many thanks
D Dog

#16 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7785 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

According to haynes you can only get at the blower from the heater is from the passenger side on the UK car.

The item you desribe sounds like it maybe a temp sensor. but I maybe wrong

#17 Horse

Horse

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

Hi Daddy Dog,
Any chance of a picture of the resistor bank after you have found it as it may be possible to measure the resistor to see if the whole bank is faulty. The picture looks like a single resistor bank (two speed I suppose) with a thermal fuse across the terminals, the point of the thermal fuse being fitted across the terminals confuses me. Be carefull as wire wound resistor like that in the picture can get VERY hot, and they hurt.....
Cheers

#18 Daddy Dog

Daddy Dog

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for the replies once again.

Horse - the picture was an example that was kindly provided to me to assist in my identifying a resistor bank. It's not the actual one, but thanks for the advice on the potential heat issue. ;)

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I will post it. I wish I wasn't so incompetent! I know I have a personal web space to put pictures somewhere, I just can't remember where. (May be include this in the 'help' area moderators?)

As I stated in a previous posting, I will visit my local Citroen dealer tomorrow and buy a resistor bank, but only after they have told me where it is located! Ah ha, I'm not a stupid as I look. (Although you can't see me, so that's an unfair comment I guess). :blink:

I've also held back on the purchase of the CDROM for the C3 maintenance guide, as the seller had ceased to be an e-bay trader. Haynes manual it will be then!

I'll keep you posted.
D Dog

#19 stevenh

stevenh

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:00 AM

THE OFFENDING ITEM!!!

I decided to bite the bullet and buy one for my wife's Pic and will be trying to fit it today.

The logic was if I get a new one, i'll know what the old one looks like!

So here are some pics, sorry for the quality as it's from my phone.

P.S. The part number is 6450-EP.

Cheers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Daddy Dog

Daddy Dog

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:10 PM

Steven -thanks for the recent pictures. The one for the C3 looks nothing like the ones for the pic - lol :lol: See attached image

My second trip to Boro Cars proved more fruitful. After a return journey to swap the heater resistor that I initially purchased, for the correct one, hey presto a fan that works with all 4 speeds.

It was located on the driver's side on the left hand side of the footwell. 1 screw held it in. 2 minute job to replace, with easy access. Part cost me £42 + VAT :( But job's a good un now and the wife's content once more (how long will that last?).

Thanks to all of you for your support. What a great site with great people :woot:

Regards
D Dog

Attached Files