• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 11:47 AM

[quote name='JoeBlunt' date='Oct 29 2004, 11:45 PM']

[/QUOTE]
Glad you at least managed to get back to Milton Keynes in One Piece! :torch:

[/quote]
Joe your not allowed in MK unless part of you is missing! lets be honest you have to be not all there in order to live there! :woot:

#42 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 30 October 2004 - 11:48 AM

[quote name='fitshase' date='Oct 30 2004, 11:32 AM'] Why not point them in the direction of this forum and quote the number of people who have had their spare wheel stolen. I'm sure that hundreds of people have brought the "problem" to their attention in the past.

I would pursue them further saying that their customer service is unacceptable (if the letter is really patronising) given that you have spent over
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#43 AlunJ

AlunJ

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 12:00 PM

Is this thievery just a UK problem, does anyone know whether our continental bretheren suffer from the same tyre thefts?

If it's not just us, then shouldn't Citroen corporate have something to say about it?

DG. Sorry that you've had no luck with CUK, but unfortnuately I think just pointing them at this site won't soften their stance. but it might effect your opinion when you next decide to purchase a new car!
What ever you hit, call it the target!

#44 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 30 October 2004 - 12:18 PM

1): I've received another letter from CUK this week advising that this is MY problem and they will not supply me with a lock FOC - and that I should sort it out through the insurers. :angry:

2): I can't decide whether to give in gracefully and just buy a K-LOK - or whether to pursue it.

3): What do you lot think? Is there any point?

1): I think you need to send a reply to a higher being within CUK. The points you need to raise (IMO) are:

A): You have not been officially informed by Citroen either by your dealer or CUK that this is a security problem which has left you the customer vunerable.

B): You have since found out that several people have made CUK aware of this security risk, therefore they should in your opinion send letters to all owners highlighting the problem & recommending a solution.

C): CUK have a duty of care in making customers old & new aware of this problem, especially new customers because they can be given the option of the locking device at point of sale as an optional purchase or a customer can use it as a bargaining point. :wiz:

D): With all letters of complaint write exactly what you want to resolve the situation you now find yourself in.
In your case I would say a comprise is required. Tell CUK you'll bear the cost of the Spare wheel & Jack but feel they should bear the cost of supplying & fitting the security device to prevent it happening again. :devil:

E): You need to underline that as a female often lone driver who travels alot you are particuarly at risk especially if you get a puncture after dark and on Motorawys / Trunk roads. :con:

2): I think you should give it at least one more shot but writing as a victim rather than a complainant. :torch:

3): Being very, very honest you were aware of this problem so to some degree you cannot expect CUK to pay for everything i.e. Spare, Jack & Security device. However, at least you admit you were aware & Citroen are still not admitting this is a problem especially to brand new customers. This lock should be fitted as standard to all new Picasso's. :det:

Of course theres a point and you need to make that point as a victim. :det:
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#45 joanneburd

joanneburd

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 04:24 PM

Joanna - do you know if the wheel was stolen in France?  My family there had not heard of the problem that plagues the UK.

Sorry we have no idea where the wheel was stolen, it could have been in France, it could just an easily have been from my drive !!!!

However we now know this is a problem in the MK area, the place we got the new tyre from told us that one Pic owner has been back to him 4 times, each after the spare was stolen. I would have thought the owner would have learned by now ! ;)

Currently carrying my spare in the boot (my poor dog isn't very impressed though :huh: ), am going to be speaking with CUK about the possibility of getting the lock, fitting on them.

Wish me luck !!

#46 joanneburd

joanneburd

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 04:27 PM

Just been to France, pulled up next to another Picasso driver who promptly told me my wheel had been stolen.......guess what, he was right!!!!

Glad you at least managed to get back to Milton Keynes in One Piece! :torch:

As your back seat driver said "Give Citroen Hell" :det:

Regards,

Joe

Joe

Was it you that we met in France yesterday?

If it was, thanks for all your help, I know the lines started moving and we didn't get the chance to say thanks properly.

You were right about the cost of replacement, its an absolute fortune. :(

Hopefully I'll get some joy from CUK about the lock though.

Jo

#47 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 06:41 PM

Yep that was me, same Pic as below but with the letter 'F' hanging from the rear view mirror! :det:

Please let us know (especialy DG) how you get on with CUK, as I said, explain how you found out and that there you was at 21.00hrs in France with your child(ren) in the car en route to Milton Keynes with no spare wheel....... Stress your dealer hasn't made you aware nor Citroen UK that Picasso's are being targetted for thier spare wheels otherwise you may of took precautions (i.e. sought your dealers advice sooner on how to combat this this type of theft.

Attached Files

• Attached File  JB1.jpg   50.67KB   51 downloads

joeblunt@hotmail.com

#48 joanneburd

joanneburd

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:45 PM

Thought I'd give you all a bit of an update on my spare wheel problem.

I contacted CUK - I now know what DG means by the partonising letter !! - as with her they told me it was my responsibility.

Never one to let things drop, I've now been in contact with the MD of CUK and the MD of the dealer group I purchased the car through.

Still awaiting a response, but we live in hope !!

#49 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:15 PM

Thought I'd give you all a bit of an update on my spare wheel problem.

I contacted CUK - I now know what DG means by the partonising letter !! - as with her they told me it was my responsibility.

Never one to let things drop, I've now been in contact with the MD of CUK and the MD of the dealer group I purchased the car through.

Still awaiting a response, but we live in hope !!

Yes do let us know how you get on :det:
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#50 Guest_Domestic Goddess_*

Guest_Domestic Goddess_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2004 - 08:07 PM

All I got was a further patronising letter. Meanwhile, Him Indoors had been and purchased a lock from Osprey anyway :angry: - wasn't prepared to wait, whcih was daft as having the spare in the boot wasn't causing me any problems, and I haven't been using the car anyway as it wouldn't fit in my suitcase.

New spare now fitted upside down with bare metal neatly painted. Tools inside the car.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

#51 The_Skipper

The_Skipper

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 04:40 AM

I fitted my K-Lok the other day.
Made a reasonable hole ok for the security bolt but not got big enough drill or a round file at the time.
Fitted all ok but needed finishing off, especially to fit the 20mm grommet.

I purchased a 'cone cutter' from work and the job was good 'un in less than 1 minute and the plastic grommet/insert was a perfect 'click' fit :)

Having the correct tools really does make a job a doddle!

I just need to hacksaw about 20 mm off end of bolt as it protrudes that amount from under the wheel.

Actually, putting the jack inside one of the floor compartments is better in my opinion as it is needed to inspect/change brakes etc.. but without the need to remove the spare.

Hopefully problem solved

Skip

#52 potter

potter

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:35 PM

Folks,
don't be taken in by this unknown problem of PIC tyres going missing, I had one stolen from under a ZX 8-9 years ago, at Great mills store in Stoke at 10:00 on a sunday morning, pair of bolt cutters were used. Citroen reakoned they'd never heard of the problem then, cost nearly

#53 joanneburd

joanneburd

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:42 AM

At last a resolution !!!!!

If you get this problem don't bother with CUK as they will just completely stonewall you and are just about at useful as a condom made by tetleys! :angry:

Mind you DG they are rather good at the really patronising letters, I now have three, each one better than the last, I'm sure there must be some industry award we can nominate them for. :lol:

Eventually it was the dealership group we came to an agreement with. Whilst we didn't get it completely free we did only pay a nominal amount. Just actual cost of the part (not retail cost) and free fitting which was a considerable saving on what they had originally quoted.

I'm now completely fitted up (or have been! :huh: ) - with the very fetching bumper sticker and everything.

Perseverance does pay, for anybody else whose suffering, don't give up!

#54 wullie9

wullie9

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 11:40 AM

\When researching the picasso before I got it I asked the dealer about the security of the spare wheel and he said that he had never heard of any problems in that department and that being a country districthe thought that it would not be a concern.my friend bought a pic earlier and he came to visit and we got chatting about our experiences with our pics and he told me he had lost his spare and did not know until he needed it, so that made me think about doing something to protect mine against theft , the results being I went to Halfords and got a chain and padlock which I threaded through the wheel then through the tow eye and round the wheel carrier the joined both ends of the chain with the padlock,now if anyone wants the wheel they wiil have to work harder to have it.

Bill :devil:

#55 Retrogeezer

Retrogeezer

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:30 PM

I've said this a few times before - what is wrong with removing the spare and just keeping a can of tyre weld in your car??

No worries about loss of spare, no worries about getting stuck in the middle of nowhere, no crawling around under your car in the rain/dark/wind etc.

They come as standard on some cars so must be prefectly acceptable!

#56 joanneburd

joanneburd

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 03:07 PM

\When researching the picasso before I got it I asked the dealer about the security of the spare wheel and he said that he had never heard of any problems in that department and that being a country districthe thought that it would not be a concern.my friend bought a pic earlier and he came to visit and we got chatting about our experiences with our pics and he told me he had lost his spare and did not know until he needed it, so that made me think about doing something to protect mine against theft , the results being I went to Halfords and got a chain and padlock which I threaded through the wheel then through the tow eye and round the wheel carrier the joined both ends of the chain with the padlock,now if anyone wants the wheel they wiil have to work harder to have it.

Bill          :devil:

We also asked the same thing of the dealer we purchased our car through, I even mentioned that I was aware that this was a problem on their older vehicles and asked if the Pic had the same problem.

Like you I was told no, I was also not advised that a lock kit even existed, even though I asked for a full list of 'add on' accessories for my car. :blink:

It was due to this misrepresentation that the dealer group agreed to cover the majority of the costs. :D

If you have anything in your favour, use it !!

#57 joanneburd

joanneburd

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 03:10 PM

I've said this a few times before - what is wrong with removing the spare and just keeping a can of tyre weld in your car??

No worries about loss of spare, no worries about getting stuck in the middle of nowhere, no crawling around under your car in the rain/dark/wind etc.

They come as standard on some cars so must be prefectly acceptable!

Tyre weld is a fab product if you are really in a bind.

However I've spoken with several garages about this product and have been told that using tyre weld can actually result in damage to the wheel, resulting in you needing to replace both wheel and tyre.

Not really too much different to some little blighter pinching the spare except you pay for the can of tyre weld as well !!

#58 Retrogeezer

Retrogeezer

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 06:16 PM

Not really too much different to some little blighter pinching the spare except you pay for the can of tyre weld as well !!

Ah, but you don't have to pay out for the spare wheel locks either!!

It may damage the tyre but most garages tell you that your tyre is unrepairable these days anyway!

Now - be honest - how many punctures have you had in say, the last 5 years??

I think I have had maybe one. I just couldn't be bothered with all this hassle of drilling holes and buying padlocks/lockkits/ long chains etc - not too mention the fuel mileage saved from losing the weight of a carrying a spare.

At the very worst, it would mean a trip to Les Smiths for a nice set of 4 alloys with brand new tyres for

#59 johnnewham

johnnewham

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:48 PM

:angry: :angry: Just taken my Picasso in for 37,500 service and was told by a smiling :) service man that my spare wheel was missing. Before I could express my anger, I had heard how a lock could be fitted that usually cost

#60 Guest_Domestic Goddess_*

Guest_Domestic Goddess_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2004 - 08:17 PM

Welcome to the exclusive club of those that have lost their spares and also been fobbed off by CUK. :angry:

The prices they are quoting you are nonsense - I got a lock from Osprey, a new wheel, a tyre and replacement tools for