T20 Torx
T27 Torx
Wire Cutters
Digital Voltmeter
Crip Tool or Molegrips
Scalpel
Border roller

Method :con:

Using small flat blade screwdriver remove plastic speaker cover.
Loosen 4 screws holding speaker in place.
Remove old speaker( admire the quality)

Depress small clip holding door handle cover in place
Posted Image

Loosed two screws holding door handle in place and remove.
Posted Image

Unclip plastic cover on reverse of door mirror
Posted Image

Starting at bottom reach behind door panel working round pulling off retaining clips.

Inside of the door now looks like below

Posted Image

Pull away membrane covering the door and use the scapel to cut through the adhesive. This can then be re-used to attach to the panel.

Now you can see where all your recycled cans go..

Posted Image

Stop for cup of tea and admire work so far.

Apply layer of dynamat to inside of door skin. Use border roller to ensure no creases and best possilble surface contact.

Posted Image

Add additional dynamat to inner door surface. Cut out speaker hole, try to cover as much surface area as possible. Use scalpel to cut around holes for door fixing etc.

Posted Image

No location within the door to place the crossovers, but large block or polystyrene within door panel. Use scalpel to cut away are to fit crossover.
Attach crossover with contact adhesive or gripfill.

Posted Image

Install wiring to speakers and tape into place to stop movement

Posted Image

Hint: When returning the door panel easier to get top to fit if window wound down.

Posted Image

Repeat above for other doors. :D

I have got tweeters to mount in the door but did not have the drill with me today so will append later.

I have disconnected the tweeters on the dash as now find these give too much treble.
To to this use small flat blade to flip up cover, tweeter attached to this.
Unclip connector.

After changing the speakers there is a definate improvement in the sound quality.

Not everyone will go to the effort of fitting sound proofing but that is just me :woot:

Even after all the dynamat fitted still got an annying rattle, but I think that is coming from the rest of the car :D

Will post pictures of tweeters when done.

Out of interest the speakers I used are Kenwood KFC-PSR71R they are dual magnets and very light weight, although they may get moved to the rear when my new speakers I have just bought arrived.

Next headunit...

#2 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:10 PM

Nice job! Where did you get the polystyrene block? It looks a pretty good shape even without your surgery.

Can this page be pinned for future audiophiles?
Growing old is compulsory; growing up isn't!
If you're not part of the solution...
...you're part of the precipitate!

#3 dpm

dpm

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:20 PM

That poly block is part of the side-impact protection system, believe it or not.

/ safety-heads will now shudder at the thought of the crossover leaving an imprint on your hip following a side-on collision...

#4 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:54 PM

That's why it fits so well then! Posted Image
Growing old is compulsory; growing up isn't!
If you're not part of the solution...
...you're part of the precipitate!

#5 likeafish

likeafish

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:47 PM

Do you have any pictures of how you have mounted your tweeters? Im stuck as to where to put mine!

#6 wayne_bells

wayne_bells

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:22 PM

this is where i put mine, just noticed the car needs a dust too!

Attached Files

#7 wayne_bells

wayne_bells

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

and these are the rear ones....

Attached Files

#8 Guest_DAF_*

Guest_DAF_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

Hello all,

Don't normally do posting but simply had to because of the confusing/plain incorrect advice on this topic elsewhere in these forums (no one's fault, just the way it goes. I have found these forums incredibly valuable for many many other Pic proiblems over the past few months. Thank you everyone).

Back in late March I bought a 2nd hand Picasso Exclusive (52 plate) as our second car. Lovely car but crap stereo and speakers. So, I upgraded the speakers to Flys both front and rear and replaced the head unit with a cheap but decent Kenwood (yes, I sacrificed the steering wheel controls, but don't particularly miss them).

Apparently, the colour of the speaker wiring differs from Picasso model to model (or at least from year to year). My Picasso has an orange wire and a white wire for the front speakers but no indication of which should be connected to the positive or negative speaker connectors on a new set of speakers. Elsewhere in these forums, one seemingly well informed poster implies that the white wire should be connected to the positive speaker connection and the orange wire to the negative. So this is what I did. BUT....

...THIS IS SIMPLY WRONG! IT'S THE OTHER WAY AROUND! The WHITE wire should be connected to the NEGATIVE connector and the ORANGE wire to the POSITIVE connector.

Take it from me! I had them connected the wrong way 'round for two months and the sound was terrible. At anything above a medium volume, I suffered vibrations, distortions, fuzzyness. Because I had followed advice on speaker wiring in these very forums, I thought the problem had to be a) bad speaker / head unit combination bad head unit settings or c) simply poor build quality in the Picasso doors that meant everything vibrated awfully.

It was none of the above. Today I just thought I'd try switching the wires and hey presto - the sound is FANTASTIC!!!!!! Been driving round all evening with the roof and windows wide open playing Foo Fighters at full volume without a single vibration / distortion to be heard. Yes, sorry if you live in the Sutton area, that was me earlier )

#9 morrissey007

morrissey007

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

Ah thanks for pointing this out, am just about to replace the speakers in my Pic, will see what colour the wires are when I open it up (its the rears I'm doing, had the front professionally replaced)

Edited by JoeBlunt, 26 August 2011 - 11:09 PM.
Quote Removed

#10 morrissey007

morrissey007

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

hmmm, one white and one that looks more pink than orange, so I'll go for white negative and pink/orange positive and let you know!

#11 grant2258

grant2258

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

My wires where a completely different colour I checked the wiring diagrams on sedre and against the iso pinout with a multi meter. Pin 1 is posative and pin 2 is ground this will always be the case. I seen another thread saying to use a multi meter that just won't work speakers come through ac so it's impossible to polarity this way.

#12 ChrisGibbard

ChrisGibbard

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:02 PM

If it sounds like rubbish, then you have the polarity reversed. But allegedly Citroen cocked-up on a few models, and their wiring isn't correct. So use your ears, no need for sedre or multimeters. Your quote of speakers "come through ac", no idea what that means. Sorry.

#13 grant2258

grant2258

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

No the sound is fine I was just posting information I checked the iso adaptor and terminals on the door with a multi meter and it matches pin 1 in the speaker connector is positive and pin 2 negative. The wiring diagrams on sedre also show this

#14 Blue Pikachu

Blue Pikachu

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:04 PM

Hi, in replacing the front speakers with components with a separate crossover. where best is it to place the crossovers? closer to the head unit or under the dash near the door or somewhere else?