11 replies to this topic

#1 peteanspach

peteanspach

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:19 PM

Both reversing lights on my 04 Pic have failed. Have checked the fuse which is OK. Could it be the switch operated by the gear lever? I have not checked the lamps as I would not have thought they would both blow at the same time. Any thoughts of what the problem could be?
:angry:
Peter

#2 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 01:13 AM

I have not checked the lamps as I would not have thought they would both blow at the same time.

This could be a possibilty as it is repeated switching on/off that shortens bulb life and both bulbs have gone through this process together.
Growing old is compulsory; growing up isn't!
If you're not part of the solution...
...you're part of the precipitate!

#3 britbulldog1066

britbulldog1066

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:24 AM

Suggest you check the bulbs first, if they and fuse okay its probably the switch on the g/box......looks easy enough to get to......near the top facing the front of the car.

#4 Rob.S

Rob.S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2346 posts
  • Interests:Severn Valley Railway. Steam Locomotives. Photography. Rallying

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

This could be a possibilty as it is repeated switching on/off that shortens bulb life and both bulbs have gone through this process together.

Why don't brake lights fail as a pair, ditto for side lights, headlights, indicators?
'02 2.0Hdi.... in Cool Mint

Volunteer worker... Severn Valley Railway.

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.

View my Flickr photos here

How to drive in snow - no studs !!!

#5 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 01:05 PM

Why don't brake lights fail as a pair, ditto for side lights, headlights, indicators?

It's probably due to the number of switches, the length of time that the bulbs are on for and inconsistencies in the filament wire of the bulb.

How light bulbs burn out
Due to the high temperature that a tungsten filament is operated at, some of the tungsten evaporates during use. Furthermore, since no light bulb is perfect, the filament does not evaporate evenly. Some spots will suffer greater evaporation and become thinner than the rest of the filament.
These thin spots cause problems. Their electrical resistance is greater than that of average parts of the filament. Since the current is equal in all parts of the filament, more heat is generated where the filament is thinner. The thin parts also have less surface area to radiate heat away with. This "double whammy" causes the thin spots to have a higher temperature. Now that the thin spots are hotter, they evaporate more quickly.
It becomes apparant that as soon as a part of the filament becomes significantly thinner than the rest of it, this situation compounds itself at increasing speed until a thin part of the filament either melts or becomes weak and breaks.

From..
The Great Internet Lightbulb Book

#6 Jubilado

Jubilado

C4 Pic 2.0 Hdi EGS Excl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2505 posts
  • Interests:Travel, photos and films, pocket knives, the Keris, languages.

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:57 PM

Teacherpete: many thanks for the link.
A few days ago, I was trying to point out to my elder son, that there were some snags associated with dimming halogen lights (in his case a domestic installation). Knowing that I had left the lighting industry 40 years ago, he treated my observations with his usual politeness and the body language that says " the old boy's off again".
I have sent him the link :D
Martin

Father of a son who now has his beautiful C4Pic5 2L hdi EGS Exclusive Gris Aluminium 4 October 2007. I am reduced to the Hyundai i10 auto Style.

#7 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:32 PM

Teacherpete: many thanks for the link.
A few days ago, I was trying to point out to my elder son, that there were some snags associated with dimming halogen lights (in his case a domestic installation). Knowing that I had left the lighting industry 40 years ago, he treated my observations with his usual politeness and the body language that says " the old boy's off again".
I have sent him the link :D

Always glad to put the young whippersnappers in their place! :lol:

#8 Rob.S

Rob.S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2346 posts
  • Interests:Severn Valley Railway. Steam Locomotives. Photography. Rallying

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:07 PM

It's probably due to the number of switches, the length of time that the bulbs are on for and inconsistencies in the filament wire of the bulb.

Fair comment.
'02 2.0Hdi.... in Cool Mint

Volunteer worker... Severn Valley Railway.

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.

View my Flickr photos here

How to drive in snow - no studs !!!

#9 peteanspach

peteanspach

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:47 PM

Suggest you check the bulbs first, if they and fuse okay its probably the switch on the g/box......looks easy enough to get to......near the top facing the front of the car.

As I suspected the lamps were ok so must be the switch. I will have it sorted at the next service 25000 miles in about 4 weeks time. Will be a warranty job. I expect new front pads will be required. Front tyres still have about 4mm of tread left.

Peter

#10 mikerah00

mikerah00

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:19 AM

Hi,

The reversing lights on my 04 lx pic have also stopped working <_< . Can anyone tell me which fuse to check (I know they're located driver-side just down and to the right of the steering column). Also, how to get to the bulbs to check them. Finally, how easy is it to check if it the gearbox switch which is the issue? Where is it located?

Thanks,
Mike.

#11 Rob Roy

Rob Roy

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:24 PM

Hi, Miker. If the fuse or bulbs havenít blown, and you suspect the reverse light switch is the cause, you can find this screwed into the transmission upper front facing part of the casing. You may have to remove the air cleaner assembly and ducts to get at it for removal.

RR

#12 GazzaK

GazzaK

1.6 Hdi 2004

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

Hi, Miker. If the fuse or bulbs havenít blown, and you suspect the reverse light switch is the cause, you can find this screwed into the transmission upper front facing part of the casing. You may have to remove the air cleaner assembly and ducts to get at it for removal.

RR

My pic has just suffered the same thing. No reversing lights at all. I'm not able to put the car on a ramp so if the fuse or bulbs are OK can I get to this switch via the "hood"? Are there any manuals I could buy that would help me?