#1 johnmoran

johnmoran

John Moran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 09:12 AM

Just an update on the ongoing saga of my Pic's gear change problem: -

Took the Pic in to Pentons on Saturday 29th March - told them I want it fixed "once and for all" or I'd be asking for my money back!

Monday 31st - Phone call from Pentons saying that they couldn't find any problem - I insisted THERE WAS and said I wanted it fixed or would carry out my threat (well promise really!).

Tuesday 1st - phone call from Pentons requesting my permission for one of their "Technicians" to use the Pic for "a couple of days" - well I agreed (under the express condition that, if he damaged it in any way Penton's would be liable!") - as it is worse on cold mornings I was happy for him to experience it first hand!

Thursday 3rd - I phoned Pentons to find out "news" - I was told Pic still OK and it was no worse than "all the other 2.0 HDI's he'd driven" - was this an admission that they're all equally "BAD"? - I requested to speak to the Technician personally but the receptionist declined! (I must say They're well-trained in "Fobbing people off"!) - I said that a number of people on this forum have had the same symptoms and suggested that Citroen MUST know about it! I asked if he'd consulted with CITROEN on the subject! - the receptionist said she didn't think so! I demanded that he did!

Friday 4th - I rang Pentons and asked about progress - receptionist said "I'll just find out, Sir". - She came back and said that my Pic would be ready to collect at 4.00 PM - that the gears were sorted and that he was working on the "electronic control unit" which also needed doing! - It was obvious to me that she thought I was another customer! (? also gearbox problems?) - Well, very pi**ed off by now told them to "GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER" and let me know what the "REAL" situation was. - After some deliberation I was told that they were now waiting for a "SPECIAL GEAR LINKAGE ALIGNMENT TOOL" to arrive from CITROEN which would be there next week - so is this an ADMISSION that there IS an acknowledged problem? - I reserve judgment on the success of this "SPECIAL TOOL" when I enventually get my Pic back!

Saturday 5th - Still driving the courtesy Pic (costing me a fortune in "unleaded"!) - now sitting in my living room moaning about it!

Let's hope I'm near the end of this "chapter" - but "PIGS MIGHT FLY"!

John :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

#2 alanfc

alanfc

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for that John, good luck and keep us posted.

After 8,000 miles my gears seem to be reluctant to slide into 1st and 2nd when on the move, only way I can describe it is as though the synchromesh was playing up. Their is also increased clonking in going from 2nd to third. In any case the gearbox as a whole could do with being a bit slicker.

Regards,.

AlanFC

#3 johnmoran

johnmoran

John Moran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 02:30 PM

alanfc

Sounds like exactly the same as mine!

Mine's done about 7K now so also similar - As you say it's like the synchro's worn out!

The 1.6 petrol one I've got is much slicker but occasionally the gate's troublesome!

I really believe that a lot of the other HDI members have got the same problem but maybe they just put up with it!

Not that I usually do it but I have no confidence in putting mine into 1st while rolling (which I've been able to do for years in other cars!).

Have you mentioned it to your dealer? - the more of us that make a fuss the better!

John ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

#4 Liz

Liz

Owner from march 2003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 09:00 PM

Lets hope they sort it ..have you always had this problem from new???
As you know I think we have exactly the same problem I have had problems getting it into 2nd from higher gears and general "clonking" going into 3rd.
Its not as smooth as I would like although my husband doesn't think there is a problem he's driven lots of new hire cars and says its no worse than them.
But I still maintain it should be smoother than it is.
He is going to mention it at the first service (if you can call it that)
Is there anyone else on this site who has had a problem? or does others with the hdi have smooth gears?

Liz
......... Liz ........

2.0 Hdi Exclusive ~ model 30 ~ Wicked Red

#5 johnmoran

johnmoran

John Moran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 09:15 PM

Liz

I've certainly read a few posts about the problem and one reason I got a new car was to get a decent smooth gear change! - so I won't rest till they've sorted it out to my satisfaction.

By the way I noticed that, earlier today, Dutton Forshaw were on-line - why can't they give us their opinion on the matter?

Perhaps, until they help us out on our technical issues forum members might consider carefully where they buy their next Pic - perhaps they could make some comment!

Give your dealer hell!

John :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

#6 liark

liark

Recursive, adj. see 'Recursive'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:20 AM

I guess your 1.6 loan car would be about the same as mine. I had a problem with this in a previous car, so I'm happy with the pic.

As always, you're welcome to come round and try mine out.

#7 hedgehog

hedgehog

2.0 HDi Hedgehog Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1122 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 08:47 AM

At the risk of tempting fate, I would like to say that my 12-month-old HDi still has the slickest gearchange of any car I have had. No problems going up or down, any gears.

#8 Bluenose

Bluenose

2.0 Hdi Storm Grey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 04:27 PM

Definately got the "clonking" problem 2nd to 3rd, but I thought it was just me being picky.
Also just now and again I have a problem getting into 2nd, again I thought this was down to me but I am beginning to suspect a problem.
Otherwise delighted with the car.

#9 moufflon

moufflon

Baaaa!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:49 AM

Is there anyone else on this site who has had a problem? or does others with the hdi have smooth gears?

Oddly enough, the car we test drove (almost brand new with only 30-miles on the clock) had quite a stiff, clunk gear change.

But we still went ahead and bought a pic (HDI), and I'm pleased to say that the gear change on ours seems a lot smoother (tempting fate there I know).

#10 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 08 April 2003 - 09:24 AM

After 8,000 miles my gears seem to be reluctant to slide into 1st and 2nd when on the move.

I've always been taught never to put any vehicle into 1st gear whilst on the move.
Cant really think why anybody would need to put their vehicle into 1st whilst moving?

My Pics done nearly 13,000mls and my gear changes aren't a prob, must say I have always found the gates a bit stiff (when it comes outta 2nd into 3rd) But I think its designed like that to prevent selecting the wrong gear. Can't say I have any complaints about my Pics Gearbox.
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#11 hedgehog

hedgehog

2.0 HDi Hedgehog Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1122 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 09:34 AM

I've always been taught never to put any vehicle into 1st gear whilst on the move.
Cant really think why anybody would need to put their vehicle into 1st whilst moving?

My driving instructor taught me not to go into first on the move too, but then he was teaching me in an Austin 1100 without synchro on first...

I went along with his teaching until the day I found myself going down a Scottish mountain in second gear and finding the road too steep for gears and brakes to hold me back. Finally forced it into first at around 30mph with a few interesting noises. Slowed me down successfully though... :mellow:

#12 johnmoran

johnmoran

John Moran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 06:17 PM

For latest news on my gear problem saga now see postings under the new gear box poll thread.

John :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

#13 MSMB

MSMB

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 09:57 AM

I do not know much about difficulties of getting into 1st or second gear but do know about the clunking which always use to happen to me when changing from second into third. I am pleased to say that with practice and a technic I can change the gears (above) with no sound.

You can give it a try too if you like. There are two ways of doing this:

1- build up enough acceleration and change from 2nd to 3rd with no noise at all. This does not work if you have not built up the revs. I must admit this is not always possible so my second method is better
2- When changing from 2nd, move the stick as though you are just releasing it into neutral (keeping it on the left hand side at all time and holding it firmly). Then take it into 3rd from that position.

This always works for me. I never thought of the clunking as something to do with the gearbox but rather the spring holding the gear stick in its position but I may be wrong.

#14 Guest_lil' miss pink_*

Guest_lil' miss pink_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2003 - 11:03 AM

MSMB I did not change to neutral before gear changing until my other half suggested it and I do agree the change from 2nd to 3rd is easier :)

#15 dandgb

dandgb

03 1.6SX in a tasty Med Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 12:44 PM

After 8,000 miles my gears seem to be reluctant to slide into 1st and 2nd when on the move.

On the M1 into work every morning I have to do just that to maintain momentum - 2nd is to high for the road speed. It's that or come to a complete halt and then go into 1st and risk the wrath of the impatient buggers behind me because I've held them up. ;)
Regards
David
Finis non est conec Femina corpulenta cantat

#16 Kathleen

Kathleen

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:11 AM

Our problem is getting back into 4th from 5th, also sometimes getting out of 3rd- Is gear oil the answer. It's intermittent and sorts itself out quite quickly....

#17 puddytat

puddytat

2.0 Hdi 2003 (53) Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:16 AM

That was one of the first things I learned when I started driving, how to put a vehicle into first while moving.

I learned in the RAF and we had the wonderful Morris Minor Travellers to learn in.

The instructor then said "Go as fast as you can in 1st. "
So we engaged first gear and pushed the accelerator hard to the floor and kept it there until it would go no faster, engine screaming, we managed 30 mph.

The instructor the said "Take her up the gears into fourth (no such luxury as fifth in them days) and maintain a steady 30 mph.
I did as I was told, when we reached 30 mph. the instructor said, "When I say so, push in the clutch, put into neutral release the clutch, press the accelerator hard to maximum revs, then depress the clutch, engage first and SLOWLY!! engage the clutch! and take your foot off the accelerator!". :unsure:

A frightening :wacko: but very useful lesson, the car seemed to virtually stand on it's nose, :woot: the speed dropped from 30 to less than 5 mph in what seemed like an instant, fully controllable. The object of the lesson... if your brakes fail you can stop quickly and safely, once slowed, gradually ease the nose into something to completely stop the vehicle. Thankfully I have never had to practice that solution.

As a normal method of driving, not recommended!

But in normal driving I was always taught to engage first in the instant before coming to a stop. Mind you we were taught to drive with crash boxes in mind.
2010 Grand C4 Picasso 1.6Hdi VTR+ EGS Nocciola

#18 tenpins

tenpins

16 LX Newbie

• Trainee Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

any one resolved this 1st to 2nd gear change problem

Edited by tenpins, 14 February 2012 - 02:56 PM.