#1 jim67

jim67

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:08 AM

Hi all,
I was of the understanding that the Picasso has a perminant live feed to the rear 12v socket even when there is no key in the ignition? This is'nt the case with mine, any ideas?

Picasso Desire 2004 2.0 HDI

Cheers Jim.
PICASSO 2.0HDI silver, you know you DESIRE it !!!!
As well as a Kawasaki GPX600R

#2 Bertie

Bertie

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:Cars<br />Computers<br />DIY<br />Cycling<br />Walking

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:32 AM

...........and mine's a 04 plate [Reg. May 2004] .... and the rear socket is not permanently live .. whereas on my first 2001 Pic it was.

There are a number of threads on this issue - since Citroen, in their infinite wisdom, decided to change matters and thereby ruin a very useful facility!

#3 Gasman121

Gasman121

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:34 PM

Hi,

My 51 plate SX 2.0Hdi had a live 12v socket at the rear but my new 54 plate Exclusive 1.6Hdi is only live when the ignition is on.

Alastair.

#4 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,584 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:46 PM

At a guess I'd say that Citroen did a bit of research into the number of calls to Citroen Assist on Pics. They found that when owners plugged in A cool box, fridge, DVD, game boy, telephone, etc etc that the battery went flat and the car would not start. So to prevent this happening they removed the perm supply to the rear socket. Seems like a wise call to me in that case
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#5 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts
  • Interests:fishing, motorbikes, garden, my dog

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:15 PM

yes its permanent on my 2001hdi

#6 Bertie

Bertie

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:27 AM

I understand what Stimulator is saying but the problem is that those of us who have enough common sense to check out the consumption rating of cooler boxes etc. have been robbed of a very convenient and useful facility just to protect others who don't take care or perhaps don't know what they are doing.

The use of my cooler box, when on holiday, is now virtually a non-starter because if you go off and leave the car for several hours you'll come back to find your nicely planned picnic of French Cheese and wine a bit rife!

There's no problem with leaving a live socket running a cooler box as long as you make sure you buy a box with the necessary built in electronics which monitor the battery voltage and switch the box off before the battery level becomes critical.

I asked the dealer if he could restore a permanently live supply to the socket but the answer was no!

I suppose it must be possible to run a feed thro' to the back of the car - but then I suspect that the other "very annoying" and, in my opinion "daft" ECONOMY MODE cut-off would come into play and queer the pitch!??

#7 dave-r

dave-r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts
  • Interests:Trains (O gauge models) Computors &amp; gadgets, Sound engineering live &amp; recording, audio &amp; visual, caravaning, latest interest I've got a sit on Kayak keeps me fit, using it 2-3 times a week

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:50 PM

I suppose it must be possible to run a feed thro' to the back of the car - but then I suspect that the other "very annoying" and, in my opinion "daft" ECONOMY MODE cut-off would come into play and queer the pitch!??

Hi

Again info I wasn't aware of, we have run mini fridge in old pic and didn't even think to check when socket was live just plugged it in. :rolleyes:

Apparently economy mode can be altered by dealer to longer time, someone on here told me but I haven't tested it yet.

Silly thought but how about croc clips direct on battery as it is only just under seat, or would that upset sensitive multiplex wiring! B)
Nissan Primastar 29 SE Silver (van) 53
Renault Traffic in disguise

Picasso 2.0Hdi Desire Islandic Green 05

I'd rather be Kayaking

#8 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts
  • Interests:fishing, motorbikes, garden, my dog

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:19 PM

if the rear socket is not permenantly live then how do you use the ISOTHERMAL CENTRAL MODULE ITS A MINI FRIDGE AND A THERMOS ITS IN THE CITROEN ACCESSORIES booklet and it states plugged into the cigar lighter but it clips into the central seat holes at rear so i assume it to mean the rear socket

#9 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:11 PM

If you are lucky enough to have a live rear socket (oh matron) you will find that the economy mode doesn't affect it.

So you've got a fridge and your rear socket isn't live with the car dead. So run a wire direct from the battery to the rear of the car. Put a fuse in the line to protect the circuit and there you are. As trhe battery is under the front pax seat you don't even need to go in the engine compartment.
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#10 mav147

mav147

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 01:00 PM

I made inquires about that, because the yungster was getting miffed when we went on day trips and I stopped for some fuel and he lost his games on the console, this was feed from the rear Aux socket, Citroen dealer said on 2003 models its thru the systems, so it swithes off. they said they would alter it for a price, no thanks will do it myself as usual.,

#11 econnections

econnections

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 01:11 PM

Hi all,

For those who want a live feed to the rear socket why don't you trace the wiring to relay that controls the feed and bypass it through a fuse to the battery. It should be straight forward. I will receive my new Pacasso 1.6HDi at the end of the month and will probably carry out the mod so I can run my electric tyre pump. I first need to check with my dealer that this won't invalidate the warrenty.

#12 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:47 PM

Hi all,

For those who want a live feed to the rear socket why don't you trace the wiring to relay that control the feed and bypass it through a fuse to the battery. It should be straight forward. I will receive my new Pacasso 1.6HDi at the end of the month and will probably carry out the mod so I can run my electric tyre pump. I first need to check with my dealer that they this doesn't invalidate the warrenty.

and he will say YES it does as he won't want to o on record as having said otherwise.

You may find that you can't bypass the the relay as you suggest due to multiplexing of the front end. The easiest way is to just wire straight from the battery.

#13 Bertie

Bertie

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:34 AM

FOR THOSE WHO WANT PERMANTELY A LIVE 12v FEED IN THE REAR [OOH!!] - FOR USE WITH COOL BOX ETC. :-

JOB DONE!

As Stimulator said - as the battery is conveniently located under the passenger seat it is very easy to set up an additional supply that is not isolated by the ignition switch.

I went to Maplins - purchased some appropriate cable - most coolerboxes take about 4 amps - and also purchased a 12v socket and an inline fuse carrier and some 7 amp fuses.

Had to solder the fuse carrier into posistive lead and then both supply leads to the socket. I tinned the end of the live lead with solder and then found that it could be slipped under the battery live lead caple clamp and then clenched to secure it tightly. The neutral return lead, to complete the circuit, can be secured under the retaining nut for the battery securing clamp - this provides a good earth. I just used a short lead and left the new socket under the passenger seat where I can get at it without lifting the seat!

My coolerbox has built in electronics which ensure that the supply will be switched off if the car battery voltage drops below a critical level - so no coming back to a flat battery!

If you are uncertain whether a box has this then also at Maplins you can buy an extension lead with the magic electronics - which will plug into the new socket and then plug the box into that! It cost just

#14 Guest_AndyA_*

Guest_AndyA_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:26 PM

My dealer had no objection to connect my Pioneer CD-radio premantnly to the power supply but for the ligther sockets he said cannot because of fire safety regulations. Strange, though.

Now if I want to use the pump at the roadside that is running from the lighter socket I have to leave the car keys in the ignition while messing up with the tire at the back of the car... Definitely not a very wise thing to do alone in the dark at the roadside!

Andy

#15 Bertie

Bertie

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:57 PM

Fire Regulations - sounds like "Nannie State " gone mad to me!

My wife's Ka and my Daughter's Ka [54 plate] both have permanently live 12v cigar lighter sockets. My previous Pic had the same! As long as there is a sensibly rate fuse in the circuit the risk of fire is minimal!

The world has gone bl**dy mad!!!!

#16 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

Hi all,

For those who want a live feed to the rear socket why don't you trace the wiring to relay that controls the feed and bypass it through a fuse to the battery. It should be straight forward. I will receive my new Pacasso 1.6HDi at the end of the month and will probably carry out the mod so I can run my electric tyre pump. I first need to check with my dealer that this won't invalidate the warrenty.

best way is to run the engine while using the tyre pump, it takes quite a bit of power to run it

#17 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:44 PM

best way is to run the engine while using the tyre pump, it takes quite a bit of power to run it

You thought about that reply before posting Grandpa.

---- nearly 14 years!

Edited by discv, 08 March 2019 - 06:52 PM.

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#18 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

Assuming he is still alive it may be useful, Wifi a bit slow round here, chuckle chuckle

• discv likes this