Stevie R

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Target Shooting,

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:35 PM

Warning to all...

Trying to find my little niece's ring whick rolled under the front passenger seat which was found, I decided to take the cover of the battery and see what type of battery was fitted.

The neg terminal was all corroded with yukkie stuff, so took the terminal off and gave it a good clean and wire brushed both battery posts and refitted with petroleum jelly! Ok now had to reset the clock etc and took it for a drive to reset the ECU and the car does go a lot better!

I am going to put a meter on the battery just to make sure it's not overcharging, but I'm surprised it's gone like this November and 3800 miles!

Steve

#2 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:06 PM

whatever it is it aint right! :det:
2010 (10) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Grey 5dr
2011 (61) Peugeot 207 1.4 Hdi Black 5dr
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#3 Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

2.0 HDi SX in Sahara Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10202 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:16 PM

Any signs of a leak around the terminal post?

#4 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography (Wish I had more time to learn all the tricks), Home Computing, Family stuff really i.e. eating out, holidays abroad, etc.........

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:50 PM

I'd be happier if they changed the battery myself, shouldn't get 'crud' on it so soon (if at all), I'd have left the crud on & showed the dealer myself. :det:
joeblunt@hotmail.com

#5 Stevie R

Stevie R

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Target Shooting,

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:58 AM

There are no signs of the battery leaking, just crud on the neg terminal.

I put a meter on the slave post in the engine compartment and to engine earth with engine off meter showing 12.46 and when started showing 14.48 -+ .02 all across the rev range... So not over charging! I will have a look at the neg post again in a few weeks time to see if the crud is coming back... Keep you informed.

Steve

#6 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:30 PM

I have finally inspected the battery on our Sept 01 (51 plate) and found the following...

Attached Files

Growing old is compulsory; growing up isn't!
If you're not part of the solution...
...you're part of the precipitate!

#7 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

Number 2...

Attached Files

#8 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:34 PM

Number 3...

Of course, Murphy's Law meant that the green plastic part broke as I had to use an adjustable spanner to get the darned thing to turn. :bhead: :bhead:

Attached Files

#9 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

And finally, number 4...

There were traces of fluid in the well which, despite appearing to be greasy/oily, cleaned up with warm water. There were no traces of this on the sides of the battery so I assume that it has run down the negative lead and dripped into the well.

The terminal responded well to being held in a downwards angle over an old ice cream tub and having very hot water poured over it. Fortunately, the terminal is soldered to the end of the cable so any splashes of water have been unable to creep into the rest if it. (Famous last words! :lol: )

After reassembly, the last job was to clean the blood off the seat back from the cut I sustained whilst trying to release the seat.

Pete

Attached Files

#10 JoeBlunt

JoeBlunt

✩1.6 Hdi Desire 2 16v ✩

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11018 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:49 PM

New Battery Required there TP! :det:

Strangly I have a quick connector on my Neg Post similar to the Positive on yours, also my battery is a different make! :det:

Attached Files

joeblunt@hotmail.com

#11 johnnyfish

johnnyfish

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Wine......The Kids....Wine...Football...Wine......Golf.........Wine, (You see there's a pattern forming here) holidays..........Wine.........& Eating Out (with of course Wine)

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:17 PM

Yep checked mine too...................mines a Varta and its clean as a baby's whatnot :blush:

#12 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

2.0 Hdi Exclusive Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4646 posts
  • Interests:fishing, motorbikes, garden, my dog

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:43 PM

just this min went and checked my battery and the post are as clean a whistle its a varta and both terminals are quick release mines an O1 PLATE

#13 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:59 PM

AARGH! :bhead: :bhead: :bhead:

I knew I shouldn't have posted recently about the car behaving itself - the wood will now be burned and the rabbit's foot fed to the cat!

Recent posts about which battery to get for the pic made me decide to check the battery terminals again. (See above photos.)
Sure enough there was more of the blue gunge on the negative terminal, so it was out with the battery to clean it up...then disaster struck! The lugs on the part that is pushed onto the negative post (to support the negative lead) all fell off! :bhead: :bhead: :bhead: Lots of naughty words uttered!
Result - the negative lead will no longer make contact with the battery post.

Of course all the parts departments are now closed; local motor factor supplies me with a replacement terminal but there is insufficient slack in the cable to fit this; enter a local breaker...no problem, can supply me with a suitable connection but they close at 2 pm...it's now 145pm. Dash to breakers, get the bit go home.
Next problem is that the replacement and the original are not just crimped but brazed onto the wire. Definitely not solder as it needed a blowlamp to melt the stuff. Eventually cleared the old wire out of the replacement but didn't fancy taking the blowlamp into the car. Decided to measure up and see if there was enough slack in the cable to allow me to cut the old one off and fit the new one. To make sure of this, I placed the battery back in the well and dropped the new terminal into place only to find that it was for the positive post and therefore too large. Even more, even naugthier words!

Give up and phone the RAC, who duly arrive in 15 minutes.

So what did we end up with? Hole drilled into terminal on end of cable and battery post and the whole lot fastened with a self-tapper. Not ideal but will have to do until Monday when I can get a new cable from the dealer.

The next questions (for someone with a Haynes manual :rolleyes: :) ) are...
Where does the non-battery end of the cable bolt to?
How much of the car needs to be dismantled to fit a new cable? From a quick look, both front seats appear to need removal so that I can lift the floor covering.

Thank you for reading this rant and be warned if you have the older, non-quick release terminal on your battery - DON' TRY TO CLEAN THE BU99ER!

TIA

Pete

PS Car is a 51 plate, 1.8 petrol but that's not what I called it earleir! :o

#14 Rob.S

Rob.S

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts
  • Interests:Severn Valley Railway. Steam Locomotives. Photography. Rallying

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

I've had a quick look through the manual, and (you won't be surprised to hear), I can't see anything related to the battery lead. :(

I have come across this problem before, when I used to fly model aircraft. The -ve wire on the battery pack could suffer in the same way. It was called black wire corrosion; but I don't know what caused it.
'02 2.0Hdi.... in Cool Mint

Volunteer worker... Severn Valley Railway.

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.

View my Flickr photos here

How to drive in snow - no studs !!!

#15 iendicott

iendicott

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:57 PM

I've had a quick look through the manual, and (you won't be surprised to hear), I can't see anything related to the battery lead. :(

I have come across this problem before, when I used to fly model aircraft. The -ve wire on the battery pack could suffer in the same way. It was called black wire corrosion; but I don't know what caused it.

I think corrosion on the Cathode is normal but the above piccies seem as if the battery is leaking.

Can't remember why the cathode always goes like this but there is a reason, I have never seen the anode corroded though !

#16 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

Thanks guys.

Can't remember why the cathode always goes like this but there is a reason, I have never seen the anode corroded though !

Unless it's sacrificial...

A sacrificial anode is a metallic anode used in an electrochemical process where it is intended to be dissolved as part of the process.

In laymans terms, it is a piece of "easily corrodible" metal that is attached to the metal you wish to protect. This piece of metal rusts first, and generally must rust nearly completely before the rest of the metal it is attached to will rust. (Hence the term "sacrificial.")

More scientifically, a sacrificial anode can be defined as a metal that is more easily oxidized than the metal that it is meant to protect. Electrons are stripped from the anode and conducted to the protected metal, which, for this reason, is forced to become the cathode. As a result, the protected metal is prevented from corroding.

One example is the galvanic anode used in a cathodic protection system, where the intended purpose is to prevent corrosion of a desired piece of metal (such as a ship's hull, an oil pipeline, or a water heater) by being more electronegative than the desired metal. A commonly used metal for such protective purposes is magnesium.

Another example of a sacrificial anode is the anode in an electroplating process whereby the metal in the anode replaces the metal that is depleted from the plating solution as it is deposited on the cathode.

Still another example is the anode included in the tanks of domestic hot-water heaters, to prevent corrosion of the walls of the tank.

Also...
Corrosion chemistry
I have always assumed that the blue gunge is some form of copper salt being deposited as a result of electrolytic action with the brass (?) terminal.

Moisture initially! :o

There have been some comparative tests designed to identify the cause of black wire corrosion, the results of which indicated that a prime factor is storage in a damp atmosphere. The combination of damp air and a charged battery leads to an electrolytic effect that results in an acidic condition at the negative terminal of the battery. It’s not only NiCads that are affected, check out the earth strap on an older car sometime, and if the connection has not been properly protected, the same corrosion effect can be seen.

Battery care

#17 Rob Roy

Rob Roy

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:11 PM

Oops, think TP has pipped me to the post. Anyway: It's called Verdigris. An electrolytic effect causes an acidic condition at the negative terminal, which gradually builds up along the cable. If left too long the acid can eat away any metal.
IIRC it's caused by a combination of damp air and continuous charging of battery - usually first indications that it's on its last legs.

Was taught to just pour boiling water over the terminal, dry off, and if all's well, just smear a good dollop of real Vaseline round the affected area - much like your babies bum, really.

#18 Teacherpete2

Teacherpete2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5002 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:28 PM

Was taught to just pour boiling water over the terminal, dry off, and if all's well, just smear a good dollop of real Vaseline round the affected area - much like your babies bum, really.

You poured boiling water over your babies' bums?! :o

#19 Rob Roy

Rob Roy

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:13 PM

You poured boiling water over your babies' bums?! :o

Yep. Haven't had a rude word from either girls since :D