• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c3 pic blueHDI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:28 AM

Announced this morning that the end of production for diesel and petrol vehicles will end 2030, have they thought this through, how will residents in high occupancy buildings and modest gardenless residences in general be able to have a guaranteed recharge area for their vehicle, with a rising crime rate would you feel safe walking to a communal recharge area in darkness to collect your car,  hybrids too will be phased out so that alternative would be gone. The entire vision of an all electric Utopia is fraught with errors, we only want a mega storm or similar to knock out the National Grid and nobody travels anywhere, our all electric, computer controlled homes would grind to a halt, any reliance on Green Energy will see all land and sea horizons blighted by ugly turbines. Will we also see the end of natural gas ?

This move will, thankfully, be unlikely to effect me but as I see it the future is not a rosy one for my kids etc

• Supercar and discv like this

#2 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 03:08 PM

Announced this morning that the end of production for diesel and petrol vehicles will end 2030, have they thought this through, how will residents in high occupancy buildings and modest gardenless residences in general be able to have a guaranteed recharge area for their vehicle, with a rising crime rate would you feel safe walking to a communal recharge area in darkness to collect your car,  hybrids too will be phased out so that alternative would be gone. The entire vision of an all electric Utopia is fraught with errors, we only want a mega storm or similar to knock out the National Grid and nobody travels anywhere, our all electric, computer controlled homes would grind to a halt, any reliance on Green Energy will see all land and sea horizons blighted by ugly turbines. Will we also see the end of natural gas ?

This move will, thankfully, be unlikely to effect me but as I see it the future is not a rosy one for my kids etc

You will have to buy an emergency generator for total power outage and maybe a small trickle charge solar panel.

Natural Gas cease? not while cows keep farting :)

Multiple occupancy building will have a large input to charging infrastructure.

Back up energy banks which are in use now in factories etc will activate when power outage occurs to allow inverters to maintain power supply.

Hydrogen cars must have made some great in roads too with this announcement but has not been mentioned.

Caravanners will have to scale down or think about hybrids when 2030 arrives

Edited by Supercar, 18 November 2020 - 03:11 PM.

#3 gittos

gittos

1.2 Puretech EAT6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:36 PM

Buy a CEV car just before the deadline and you’re ok for a good few years or there will also be second hand cars to keep you going, CEV cars aren’t going to disappear overnight.

• Supercar likes this
  • Was - 2002 1.6 Petrol Picasso SX     Then -2009 C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 VTI Petrol   Then- 2015 C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue HDi EAT6 Exclusive   Now..2018 C4 Picasso 1.2 PureTech Feel EAT6

#4 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c3 pic blueHDI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:47 PM

Some bright spark on radio was preaching about all the jobs being created with electric vehicles, no mention of the thousand that will be lost with the death of the IC engine and all the support industries, personally I would go the fuel cell route

#5 Avon

Avon

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:32 PM

It won't happen that soon. Talk like that makes Boris look good now but he isn't going to be in charge by then.

How many other large projects have made the deadline and budget such as Crossrail, HST2, Stonehenge tunnel, Smart metering, etc.etc.

2016 C4 Picasso Flair 1.2 Puretech