20 replies to this topic

#1 cris1117

cris1117

1.6hi 110 (2007) X-Picasso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:13 AM

Watching the news this morning I couldn't help thinking how the press manipulate circumstances to make a better story,
Is the hospitality trade so selfish that all they care about is business irrespective of how many lives it costs?

Does the mayor of Manchester really think the government has a bottomless pit of money to hand out?  
Students being isolated in halls of residence for a few weeks complaining about mental health issues!!! really.

I had to laugh at gmb news today some students had been quarantined in Florence for 60 days you would have thought they had been locked away for years the fuss that was being made, still they have all arrived home now so they will be able to cuddle their favourite teddy bears.

I can only be grateful our armed forces and police still have real men in them to protect us from terrorists.

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,848 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

I agree, young people today seem to have become a load of wets. They need counselling for the nearest little thing. As a youngster, we got through WWII with nightly bombing raids, food shortages etc. We didn't need counselling.  My wife's father was abroad in the Army during that time and her mother had to bring up 5 children whilst doing two jobs.  Today they'd be crying for free housing and many benefits. As my boss used to say "JUST DO IT!"

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#3 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:32 AM

My take on all this- is that the authorities make a load of rules, and then imagine that everyone will obey.

Given that a large chunk of the UK population obey NO rules, then add on the many, many thousands that do not exist [on paper]- then the virus has the playing field to itself.

I forsee that covid will run riot. The weakest and frail [that includes me! ] will perish. That's how nature sorts things out.

This will free up a load of housing and money. Win win for whatever type of government remains.

But will leave a Mexico type society for our grand children

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#4 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,848 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:22 PM

As a not too fit vulnerable person, almost 83, I've hardly been out since 9th March except for 4 nights in a rented cottage on a farm, and going, once or twice a week, for 30-mile circular drives without shopping.  We have most of the "wanted" things like food ordered online and delivered to the doorstep apart from a few visits by my wife to an Aldi. I don't think we need councelling or a favourite teddy bear to play with yet!  We just get on with life, what will be will be.  I do fear for future generations but won't be here to see the outcome.

• discv likes this

#5 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c3 pic blueHDI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:27 PM

Have you noticed how quiet its got reporting on the South Coast invasion by illegals, to me all the boats should be intercepted and returned to France, meanwile France should be rounding them all up and taking them to the borders a lot further East, just like Greece returns them to Turkey, Italy takes them back to the North African coast.

France is learning the lesson of accepting these people en bloc, how many terrorists are waiting. Oh dear I've drifted off subject, yes the virus will go on & on steadily mutating all the time. Happy days

Edited by granpa, 19 October 2020 - 01:29 PM.

• discv likes this

#6 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 11:06 AM

Marvellous local authorities and MPs' putting places into lockdown now they have returned from their holiday homes punishing others for half term holiday breaks.

Maybe the reason why we now see the spike in Covid after the scenes along the coastal areas of the UK and Europe during the Summer months with those returning mingling in the general population.

#7 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:32 PM

For the past few days the news has been baging on about staving and deprived kids in the UK. And some football player or other has been doing the rounds championing the case for free meals to feed them.

I have never, even remotely, heard of one such case of starving kids in the UK.

I've seen scruffy kids showing signs of a bad diet- but this invariably goes hand in hand with the child allowance filtering into drugs dens and the pub.

So here's the question- this footballer must surely have some shred of evidence that child starvation is occurring- so why are the police not involved?

• Supercar likes this

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#8 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 25 October 2020 - 04:34 PM

Football players are vastly overpaid, let him and his mates feed the 'poor'

• Supercar likes this

#9 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:44 PM

Manchester football clubs should be investigated for not checking if their season ticket holders are not taking the food out of their childrens' mouths with attending 'Home & Away' matches expenses. Not to mention that famous half-time pie that would have contributed to their childrens'  welfare.

Now have a look at the Charities commission website and research how much these 'Do Gooder' Chief Executive Officers are taking for their salary from these poor childrens' charities note not a 'wage' but pensionable salary.

The Media showed the Childrens' fart and the backdrop was enviable today if the person is so concerned why not show a dog poo filled flat and a under nourished children that are referred to in their statements.

Also it begs the question local authorities are failing and a new system is needed and where were the social workers when these children needed help from the parent or parents not using their benefits wisely after that they can and should turn to the 'Legitimate' charities.

Some of the rubbish being placed into paper bags by these 'charitable' people highlights the problem.

The Headteachers with foodbanks want sacking we pay for an education system not a local government social worker failure.

Edited by Supercar, 25 October 2020 - 09:48 PM.

• Lancelot likes this

#10 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:26 PM

Have you noticed how quiet its got reporting on the South Coast invasion by illegals, to me all the boats should be intercepted and returned to France, meanwile France should be rounding them all up and taking them to the borders a lot further East, just like Greece returns them to Turkey, Italy takes them back to the North African coast.

France is learning the lesson of accepting these people en bloc, how many terrorists are waiting. Oh dear I've drifted off subject, yes the virus will go on & on steadily mutating all the time. Happy days

SBS been working on that one today :)

#11 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,848 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:55 PM

A report claimed that a single mother with 3 children gets £24,000 a year which is more than the average wage.  She is also allowed to work up to 16 hours a week without losing anything.  Do you ever see kids these days with cardboard in their shoes to cover the holes? We had to during the war in the 1940s as there was no leather available to repair them. How many wear handed down clothes?  How many have electronic games and a TV in their room?  The list is endless.

• Supercar likes this

#12 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,848 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:55 PM

How do they define "poor children?"  Middlesbrough has a population of 160,000 yet they claim there are over 30,000 children who are classed as poor.

Edited by Lancelot, 25 October 2020 - 10:58 PM.

• Supercar likes this

#13 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:53 AM

How to define poor children; if the parents possess the qualities to appear on the old Jeremy Kyle shows then you may find a starved child about to go off the rails

• discv likes this

#14 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,848 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:12 AM

I've never seen Jeremy Vile, I only watch 1 hour of TV a week.

#15 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,689 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:42 AM

In a lot of cases the kids aren't poor the parents are just greedy for more handouts so they can spend their benefits on fags, booze, bingo, new TVs.

Edited by stimulator, 26 October 2020 - 11:44 AM.

• Supercar likes this
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#16 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:31 PM

Tattoos, takeaways, failed beauty treatments [ silk purse and sows ears come to mind ], nail bars, banned dog breeds, contract phones etc

#17 cris1117

cris1117

1.6hi 110 (2007) X-Picasso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:32 PM

In a lot of cases the kids aren't poor the parents are just greedy for more handouts so they can spend their benefits on fags, booze, bingo, new TVs.

A friend of mine drives a taxi he told me several months back he picked up a guy from the foodbank with he's food and took him to the local supermarket where he bought a case of beer then to a private address where he came back with several cartons of smokes.

He told my friend if he wanted any tax free smokes he could get them, he then went home and paid he's £10 fare and gave a £2 tip, nice work if you can get it.

• granpa likes this

#18 Lancelot

Lancelot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,848 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:54 PM

Our flight leaving Spain, many years ago, was delayed. Chatting to a fellow passenger who was with his wife and 4 kids he said that he had 3 holidays a year in Spain.  I said that with a large family he must have a good job.  "No I don't work, but if you know the system you can do it"  I'm wondering why I worked for 50 years, paid tax, and insurance but at almost 83 I don't qualify for any hand-outs.   Not even a free TV licence.

• Supercar likes this

#19 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:49 PM

I have had tatey hash soup today for lunch left over from Tatey Hash yesterday made from roast beef cooked on Monday with 8 inch Diameter Yorkshire Pudding.

They would turn their noses up at that the youth of today wanting a piezza or Italian spaghetti balls.

• discv likes this

#20 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:34 AM

For tea yesterday I made corned beef hash in the pressure cooker, adding an assortment of veggies, a spoonfull of Marmite and squirt of HP saice, only used half the tin of meat, that will do for sarnies, dont think the entire meal topped £3 for the two of us including a packet of dumpling mix @ 39p from Home Bargains, as usual it was delicious, so you can stick your Pizzas, macdonalds, kfc etc, where the sun dont shine, home cooking is quick, easy and cheap

• Lancelot, Supercar and discv like this