• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c3 pic blueHDI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:33 PM

A very dissappointing day out today, crawling along overcrowded roads, reduced speed limits, cameras, road works, learners doing 20 mph max, thats the penalty of living in what was a heavily industrialised part of the country and now vastly overpopulated, Todays ride aborted, there was more progress made back in the 60s when cars were slower, thirstier, smaller and less reliable. I recall as a kid before the motorways, we went camping in Norfolk, leaving Huddersfield 5am on dads motorcycle combination with trailer attached, reaching Hunstanton about 4pm after plenty stops en route, then came the M1 and Sleaford by-pass, the best time in the car was down to 3h 20m, with short stops, with the volume of traffic now I doubt I could better or equal that time, has progress really been made, the joy has gone. 

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:52 PM

Still a pleasure for me here in the North.  We have an Aldi 1.5 miles from home, but each week we do 18 miles to another Aldi, then home via elsewhere making a 30 miles return trip. I can still enjoy driving as I did when doing over 1,000 miles a week.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#3 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,683 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:37 PM

Had a good drive today. Ok it was only 6.8 miles to the destination and then 7.2 back. Loved it but of Motorway in both directions and urban. Average mph going was 28 and mpg 40.2. coming back it was 32.8 and 42. That's from my 1.2 130 bhp full auto C3 Aircross Flair. Fun. In these weird times it's great to get some relief from face masks, and being 2 metres apart and not hugging or kidding family and friends cos they don't live in your house. As for a close relationship well that's messed up too. I am a widower with s lady friend well thanks Covid-19 you certainly screwed us royally.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#4 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:28 AM

CYCLING is the new motoring now

#5 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:36 PM

A bit difficult with six bags of shopping and 8 bottles of wine/gin/whisky though.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#6 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:40 PM

They can ruddy wish at that, have they seen our hills, and how do we carry a months shopping or bag of cement and paint cans on a bike, sure they have been watching too many idealistic films where we are all sprawled out on the banks of a gently flowing stream in the warm summer sunshine peeling grapes and sipping wine, no resemblance to the real world

#7 Avon

Avon

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:19 PM

Drivers in front of me want to go too slow,

Drivers behind me want to go too fast.

Thank goodness I'm perfect. :wacko:

• Lancelot likes this

2016 C4 Picasso Flair 1.2 Puretech

#8 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:15 AM

I tell no lie but one of the cars in front of me was a taxi doing 23 in a 30 area, unbelievable