20 replies to this topic

#1 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 02:38 PM

I'm fairly sure that I am not the only forum member that will be impacted by this up and coming rule.

But I wonder what the true motive behind this ban is. I do not swallow the line that it's about concern for my well being.

Surely history has taught us that the establishment only focuses on itself. Ask any war veteran.

I suspect that the numbers have been crunched, and that it works out cheaper to let us oldies rot out of sight.

Friday prayers excepted no doubt.

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#2 Denis

Denis

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 03:19 PM

Friday prayers excepted no doubt.

There's me thinking that this was a forum for car owners, not racist bigots

#3 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c3 pic blueHDI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:07 PM

I see the logic if you are already ailing from mostly age related conditions or generally frail but personally up to 4 months is virtually a prison sentence, suddenly I have rejuvenated to 65 years of age and as long as I avoid crowds or even just personal contact I dont see why I should be housebound, my intention is to pack a flask and picnic and drive out into the country, sit is perfect isolation enjoying the scenery once the summer decides to appear, do people realise the consequences of pensioners being housebound, who will man the charity shops, who will guide visitors in the national Trust properties these are only a pair of examples

• discv likes this

#4 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:30 PM

Granpa, your comment makes perfect sense. But from what I understand, they are proposing that even leaving the house will be a no no.

Quite who would police this -------

#5 Avon

Avon

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:31 AM

I will wait until any official announcement before jumping to conclusions.

2016 C4 Picasso Flair 1.2 Puretech

#6 cris1117

cris1117

1.6hi 110 (2007) X-Picasso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 11:31 AM

Isn't it strange we spend billions of pounds globally to build enough nuclear bombs to destroy humanity several times over then along comes nature with a virus which if mutated in the right way can do the same for nothing.

Spanish flu killed between 30-90 million people in the early 1900s.

#7 Avon

Avon

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:01 AM

I bought an item from AliExpress, China just after Christmas, when it arrived the invoice said 'We will be shortly sending you a free gift'. They certainly did!

2016 C4 Picasso Flair 1.2 Puretech

#8 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:29 PM

Flu jab victims are also on the list now.

We always defrost Freezer after New Year Turkey has been eaten in January so by chance we had already stocked up with replacement food items.

As for toilet rolls I left a 9 pack on the back seat of car one or two folks quipped they will break in for those so I removed them :)

#9 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:45 PM

Panic buying for the storms and floods, panic buying for Brexit, now panic buying for germs, must be bonus year for supermarkets

#10 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 03:51 PM

Just think how lovely it will be looking at your Salix integra Hakuro-nishiki delivered in isolation via Hammerzon (No Not A Nissan) a tree sat in the rain in isolation 

Attached File  salix.jpg   97.02KB   0 downloads

#11 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:36 AM

In a quandry, my car was booked in for its first MOT next monday 30 march, got a call from Arnold Clarks  saying they are closing and redirected me to book with another garage they sometimes use, what if I cant get the MOT, see the problem ? its quite possible garages will also close down, situation not clear, do I run illegal to get my shopping ?

#12 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:43 AM

Had a E Mail from Perry's saying they are still operating with precautions in place for operatives and full valet before car leaves service area so try them. Website indicating this is still the case https://www.perrys.co.uk/

Also E mail from Carshop if you need  MOT look at their website carshop.co.uk or here https://www.carshop....lp-and-support/ not much use after I read it.

Edited by Supercar, 24 March 2020 - 09:54 AM.

#13 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:54 AM

Mine is a pre paid one taken out with a couple of services when I got the car, looked on Gov site, as yet they have nothing planned for the MOT regarding cars and motorbikes, other transport has a 3 month reprieve due to virus

• Supercar likes this

#14 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:56 AM

Mine is a pre paid one taken out with a couple of services when I got the car, looked on Gov site, as yet they have nothing planned for the MOT regarding cars and motorbikes, other transport has a 3 month reprieve due to virus

Would be an embarrassment for Arnolds then if you booked Perry's and sent them the bill after. Have you contacted Arnold Clark for advice https://www.arnoldcl...business-update

Edited by Supercar, 24 March 2020 - 09:59 AM.

#15 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:52 PM

Yes, they have a garage they sometimes use close by, got it booked in 

#16 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:42 AM

Thats a relief to many, 6 months exemption for the MOT for motorists wanting a test from 30th March, thats a bugger mine is due on the 28th,  but you must keep cars in roadworthy condition

• Supercar likes this

#17 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:51 PM

But before that date you can't tax apparent do you have to SORN.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#18 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:21 PM

If I failed to get it MOT'ed I would risk it, at present it has a full tank and is in my garage ready for any situation

#19 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:03 PM

But before that date you can't tax apparent do you have to SORN.

Good point. No Mot- and tax cannot be renewed. No tax- automatic fine.

+ No Mot and no tax- insurance invalid.

So if vehicle is not sorn.- a nice little earner.

#20 Supercar

Supercar

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:09 PM

If I failed to get it MOT'ed I would risk it, at present it has a full tank and is in my garage ready for any situation

When it gets to 6 year old never have a full tank always fill to half you never know when the gearbox etc. will go and the knackers yard want a full tank :) depending on the price of a dollar or corona that could range from £20-£30 per half tank :) and you would be paying your own scrap value :)