#1 mf1999

mf1999

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:49 AM

Hi all,

So i had a spring snap in the usual way, anyway since it's been repaired i have had a knocking/clonking noise over bumps and vibration during acceleration.

Now to me this feels like a strut top mount is loose.

Does anyone have any tips on what else i could check?

Thanks in advance

#2 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c3 pic blueHDI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:16 PM

Think the usual advice is to check the three top bolts are in their correct location, one being shorter than the others

#3 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:30 PM

Take the 3 bolts out that hold the leg on. 2 are the same length on is shorter. That goes in the hole where the top coil of the spring is near. As the spring compresses it won't come in contact with the short bolt but will with a long one
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#4 mf1999

mf1999

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:59 PM

I have done some investigation today, there is sideways movement in the suspension assembly on the drivers side, which should explain the noise and the vibration when accelerating.

i'm taking it back tomorrow to see what my mechanic thinks

#5 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:23 PM

A Stim says, check the length of the 3 bolts, it's happened to so very many of us.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#6 mf1999

mf1999

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:59 PM

Will mention that to my mehcanic tomorrow, should be a nice simple fix...... should be fine for the 10 mile or so drive there anyway.

Otherwise though apart from the front of the car being really high now (still needs to settle) the car is driving fine

#7 deuchebleu

deuchebleu

1.6Hdi (92bhp) 2008

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:44 PM

Take the 3 bolts out that hold the leg on. 2 are the same length on is shorter. That goes in the hole where the top coil of the spring is near. As the spring compresses it won't come in contact with the short bolt but will with a long one

I've read this often on here and I'm not disputing it but when I changed both struts, due to spring breakage, on my 2008 1.6HDi I found that all of mine were the same length and were more like a self tapper screw than a bolt. I'd owned this car from new so no question they were not as originally fitted. So at some point the design was changed but I don't know when. The OP doesn't give the year of his model but just thought I would mention it in case it is later than 2008.

John

#8 Red

Red

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:14 PM

Last year I changed one of the front springs on the wife's Pic and had the same problem. I know normally you would advise changing both springs, but both springs had previously been changed by the local Citroen dealer a few years earlier and had only covered 20k miles. Doesn't say alot for Citroen springs. After further investigation I found that I hadn't tightened up the anti roll bar link sufficiently. Re-torqued and the noise disappeared.

Roy

#9 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:13 PM

The problem with modern springs is that they are not coated with the same final coating as used in the old days as it us TOXIC. Because if this they are not do well protected and more fail.
Note that other makes suffer failures too, FORD for one.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#10 mf1999

mf1999

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 12:39 AM

as weird as this sounds, all the issues cleared up on their own........

springs still need a little more bedding in as the front is still high but otherwise everything is fine