11 replies to this topic

#1 rawthey

rawthey

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:50 PM

My 1.6litre petrol 58 plate Xpic has recently started to chime with a single "Boing!" sound when I turn the key to start the engine after the car has been standing for a few days. If I switch off and restart the engine it does it again but if I drive a few yards and then switch off I can restart again without the sound.

I've had the car for about 7 years and not experienced this effect until just recently.

Any ideas why it's happening?

Mike
Xsara Picasso (58) 1.6i 16V Desire, Iron Grey

#2 Marvin

Marvin

Skoda Yeti SE Greenline II, 1.6TDi, Steel Grey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:28 PM

Do you not get a warning light(s) at the same time?  I'd glue my eyes on the panel when switching on,  just in case there's a momentary light flash somewhere to give you a clue.  Or it could be something like a faulty ambient temperature sensor that's warning you of icy conditions (erroneously).

"Life? Don't talk to me about life....."

#3 rawthey

rawthey

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

Do you not get a warning light(s) at the same time?  I'd glue my eyes on the panel when switching on,  just in case there's a momentary light flash somewhere to give you a clue.  Or it could be something like a faulty ambient temperature sensor that's warning you of icy conditions (erroneously).

I hadn't noticed any odd warning lights though I'm fairly sure there were no messages.

I'll keep an eye open next time though I'm not sure how long it will be before the car has been standing unused long enough for it to happen.

Mike

#4 mf1999

mf1999

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:30 AM

It's low battery voltage causing that, going to guess it's the original?

#5 rawthey

rawthey

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

It's low battery voltage causing that, going to guess it's the original?

I'll check the voltage next time it happens.

But I suspect that might not be the cause. I replaced the original battery in March this year when it died on me after 10 years of trouble free service and I never heard that sound with that battery, even in its final days.

Mike

#6 GoldPod

GoldPod

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:02 AM

Hi rawthey

Just wondering if your 'Boing!' sound may have happened again yet and if you have discovered the cause?

I'm asking because my Pic has started making what appears to be the same noise, a single loud electronic 'Boing!' from inside the dash on starting.

Mine's a 06 plate 1.6HDi, and unlike yours it's making this noise almost every time I start from cold. Once it's warmed up it seems to be more random, maybe 50% of the time.

This is obviously a noise that Citroen have 'built-in' as a warning for something, but I can't find any reference to what it is in the handbook or online. There's definitely no warning lights or messages on the dash at the same time. Battery seems very healthy.

(One possibly unrelated thing: over the last couple of months my engine warning light has started to flick on occasionally while driving - high pitched beeps, engine looses power, take my foot off the throttle a little, then power comes back, light off, everything back to normal. Was hoping to get by 'till next service before having to figure this one out!).

Anyway, sorry, didn't want to hijack your thread rawthey, but as the Boing noise on starting seemed so similar thought it may be a good idea to keep all queries about it in the same place.

Anyone got any further thoughts about what it might be?

Jay

#7 rawthey

rawthey

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:45 PM

Hi rawthey

Just wondering if your 'Boing!' sound may have happened again yet and if you have discovered the cause?

There's been a couple of times the car has been standing for a week or more and it started fine each time without any 'Boing' sound.

Looks like it'll be very difficult to track down unless it gets more regular like yours.

Have you tried checking the battery condition? Low battery has been suggested as a possible cause - since my battery is only a few months old I don't think it's likely to be the cause for me but might be worth checking in your case as the problem seems much more repeatable than mine,

Mike

#8 mf1999

mf1999

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:11 PM

It's the autolocking/auto lights going weird for a split second due to low battery voltage, as we are getting into winter you will start to get random warning messages on the dash while starting (abs fault/ airbag fault....so on) ignore it for now but be prepared to replace the battery.

the reason it does it from cold is due to the oil being thicker due to being cold and in the case of a diesel it has much thicker oil and a heavier engine plus glow plugs to contend with which is why the battery will be struggling to start.

to check if your alternator is outputting watch the dash as the engine starts......maybe a second after it fires you will hopefully notice how the dash gets brighter, that's when the alternator takes over which is why it behaves itself once started

#9 mf1999

mf1999

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:14 PM

if you do very short jounreys/low mileage it could be the battery isn't getting a chance to get charged back up so i reccomend during the day taking it for a 30+ minute drive on a roads or just above 50mph with the lights off to allow the battery to charge.

Also remeber as it's winter to run your air conditioning at least once a month to keep the seals in order

• Lancelot likes this

#10 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:22 PM

My air-con is never off, used all year round.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#11 mf1999

mf1999

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:30 PM

My air-con is never off, used all year round.

same, theres no need to turn it off and it helps with the demisting and stops the car from steaming up

#12 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:26 AM

Same again with the air-con, though the heater throws out more heat when its off