6 replies to this topic

#1 Picobus

Picobus

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

Sorry for starting a new topic, but the search engine doesn't work, so I couldn't tell if the question has already been asked.  I imagine it has!  How do I contact the sysadmin for this site?

The car is a Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 HDi 06 plate.

I have a whining noise that sounds to me like a turbine - so my suspicion is the turbo.

This isn't my video, but it sounds the same as  

Just like in the video, I don't hear it at idle, but as soon as I accelerate a little, it is there.  I have opened the intake end of the turbo, but I can't detect any play or slack in the turbo shaft, and it turns easily without any binding that I can feel, so if it is the turbo making the noise, I can't imagine just how it is doing it.  Is there any simple way to block the turbo for a moment, to see if the sound goes away?

Edited by Picobus, 13 September 2019 - 11:52 AM.

#2 Picobus

Picobus

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

This web site is awful! 

I initially thought I had a turbo whine, but I have changed my mind.  Nobody had answered my post, so I would have edited the text to save people from reading stuff that is no longer valid - but there is no edit available.

I thought I had a turbo noise, but having proved it wasn't that, I took the auxiliary belt off, and the noise has stopped.  Now I have to somehow decide which of the pulleys that are turned, is responsible for the whine.

#3 Ozzie

Ozzie

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:29 AM

agree about the site ! , it would help if the search was working and the adblocker warning disabled.
Most of the younger members are now using the Facebook group which is way more active

with the search , there is a way around it , Google the site

' xsara picasso engine whine site:www.citroenpicasso.org.uk '

if you have to put the belt back on to find the noise use a stethoscope , cheap on ebay or just use a metal pipe,
good luck

#4 Picobus

Picobus

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, Ozzie.  I put the belt back on and listened to stuff.  I didn't have a stethoscope, so I just used a piece of wood against my ear as a "test probe", and I think the noise was coming from the serpentine belt idler - not the spring-loaded tentioner - the other one next to the generator.  I'd say I have about an 80% confidence.

I've ordered another one (for £25 - snif.. snif!) so on Tuesday, when it arrives, I should be able to put it on and discover that it wasn't that at all!

#5 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

With all respect- I would have thought that replacing just the one pulley that might be causing the noise is (maybe) a false economy.

A complete Gates Micro V kit which is the belt and both pulleys would cost about £50.

Is the alternator out of the frame?

https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B00FC55C1A

Fitment needs checking.

Edited by discv, 15 September 2019 - 12:38 PM.

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#6 Picobus

Picobus

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:29 PM

Replaced the idler, put the belt back on and tested.  The worrying noise has gone.  Replaced the mudguard liner and stood it back on its wheels.  It seems OK.  I'll be taking it on a 3-hour trip next weekend, so that will be telling.
I replaced the timing belt in 2016, and replaced the serpentine belt kit at that time, so I only replaced the idler this time.  The car failed its last MOT with rotting sills.  I got one fixed, and the other had a warning, so I guess it will need doing for the next MOT - and when bodywork starts rotting, the car doesn't have a long life ahead of it.  I was on the point of replacing it this year.  I was thinking of getting an electric car, but the infrastructure isn't ready for them yet.  I'm in my mid-70's, so realistically, my next car will be my last, so I thought I'd soldier on with this one for a year or two to see if they get some infrastructure sorted out for electric cars.  This car is old now (though it has done less than 70k miles), and not worth much for resale.  Under the circumstances, I don't want to spend more than necessary on the Picasso - hence the minimal replacement.

• Ozzie, gray and discv like this

#7 GEOBRAD

GEOBRAD

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:09 PM

I had a noise very similar while driving and it turned out to be a lack of oil in the gearbox