#1 itsbrasso

itsbrasso

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

Hi there..

Really strange one this. When accelerating the other day, it revs just died, as if I had switched the engine off, next minute it was fine?

Also today, I noticed that the brake lights are coming on when the clutch pedal is pressed. Could this be a faulty brake pedal switch?
If so, has anyone replaced theirs and is it an easy job/quick fix??

Thanks in advance. 1.6hdi 2007

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,605 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

It's possible that the switch has just come loose they are just pushed into a holder. Get down outside the car, with your head inside the car, look upwards to the top of the brake pedal. It's mounted on the side nearest to the engine bulkhead.
There is also switch on the clutch pedal.
  • Lancelot likes this
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 itsbrasso

itsbrasso

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:38 PM

The ABS warning has recently being displayed when going over bumpy potholes or speed humps. When the ignition restarted the warning goes off along with the orange warning light. When I read the error codes nothing is displayed or stored. Could they be connected??

I remember reading ages ago about the brake light switch causing lots of issues with other multiplexed circuits.

#4 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,605 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:59 AM

As well as looking at those two switches, it it's possible that the engine bay battery positive terminal needs attention. As you know the battery is under the front passenger seat. The +ve lead then goes through into the engine compartment where it is attached to a terminal. This is near the brake/clutch fluid reservoir. There is a black cover over the terminal. It has a + sign in a circle on it. This is the distribution point for the 12 volts to the cars users, starter, BSI etc. This terminal has a tendency to come slightly loose and in so doing give problems. Just open the cover and tighten the nut on the terminal. If that cures your problem then, remove the nut and clean the terminal and the connections under the nut. BEWARE that you don't short your spanner to the car metal body.
Other area is possible water ingress into the BSI which causes corrosion of terminal in the PCB.

Edited by stimulator, 02 September 2019 - 08:01 AM.

Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#5 itsbrasso

itsbrasso

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:09 PM

How do I go on about adjusting/removing?

#6 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,605 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:38 PM

what the switches or the terminal
If the switches they are non adjustable. They are cheap on eBay or as I said before they are loose in the holder just reset with your finger, once you can see them it's self explanatory.
The terminal just tighten it.