Photo

2.0 Hdi emissions failure , MOT station got it wrong ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ozzie

Ozzie

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:29 PM

guys, could anyone confirm my thoughts on this

the old 2003 2.0 Hdi failed it's MOT today on smoke emissions.

I think the tester got it wrong

the result of the test was an average opacity of 1.57 which failed because the limit was set at 0.50 !

I thought the limit on a pre 2008 turbo charged diesel , no dpf is 3.0 ( even after last Mays revisions )

looking at last years print out the average was 2.55 and it passed.

will have a word with the tester next week

#2 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:11 AM

Not directly of any help to you, but recently I have taken a couple of our cars in for a test. I was surprised to be asked details of the vehicle system (has it got a turbo? etc) that their Sun diagnostic machine does not automatically load from the VIN.

So may be it is possible for the tester to make incorrect assumptions- which might set the bar at the wrong height.

Edited by discv, 27 July 2019 - 11:12 AM.

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#3 Ozzie

Ozzie

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:54 AM

well , the MOT station were a little embarrassed.

Apparently the tester put in the wrong limit , should have been 3.0 instead of 0.5 !
0.5 is around the limit for the very latest eco friendly diesels , not an old banger Citroen / Peugeot turbo.

Just goes to show mistakes can be made so it's worth checking the results , although I have the advantage of understanding
them , it was my job , as an electronics engineer , back in the early 90's when I installed the first emissions testing equipment
and trained testers on their use !

for reference , from the MOT testers manual , the latest diesel emissions limits are :

Before the test, check the maximum smoke level limit for the vehicle and enter the required details into the diesel smoke meter.

For vehicles first used before 1 July 2008, the smoke limit is:
2.5m-1 for a non-turbocharged engine
3.0m-1 for a turbocharged engine
the level specified on the manufacturer's plate if lower

For vehicles first used between 1 July 2008 and 31 December 2013 the smoke limit is:
the level specified on the manufacturer's plate
1.5m-1 if the manufacturer's plate is not available

For vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2014, the smoke limit is:
the level specified on the manufacturer's plate
0.7m-1 if the manufacturer's plate is not available

Manufacturer's plate means either the VIN plate or a separate plate or sticker, which is likely to be within the engine compartment. The plate or sticker may be marked 24 R followed by a number to indicate the smoke limit (such as 0.24 in the example below). It's usually displayed in a box and often positioned in the bottom right corner of the VIN plate.

The 2.0 HDi does not have any limit written on the manufacturers plate so it's 3.0

My Pic had an average of 1.8 , better than last year , the garage will do a free retest with the correct printout.
  • gray likes this

#4 Avon

Avon

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 05:20 PM

Just goes to prove why we should be getting rid of these dirty old diesels, nothing personal Oz

2016 C4 Picasso Flair 1.2 Puretech

#5 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:19 PM

Yes, but only when we are absolutely forced to do it