4 replies to this topic

#1 NickPGSmith

NickPGSmith

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:36 AM

Hello everyone. I thought I would firstly share my experience for others and secondly ask a question:

1) Failed Aircon Fan

For several months I had heard a sloshing of water from the engine compartment whilst turning a corner, and was perplexed. Also the aircon far sometimes made some mild unusual whine noises. Then, the aircon fan abruptly stopped completely. I took to Halfords, who said the area under the windscreen was awash with water and the fan was completely under water. They drained it, cleared the gullies that were blocked with debris from trees (etc): £50. Motor still didn't work, but they suggested it might do after it had thoroughly dried out. After 2 days the motor started, but only bleware on recycle mode. After a few more days, it works completely. Great! (But need to be careful parking under trees, etc)

2) Water in rear door

Now I have also noticed sloshing water in a rear door, but can't see any obvious way it's supposed to drain. Any recommendations? Is it worth trying to remove the plastic trim or is the metal door welded into a sealed unit (I suspect). I think I may need to drill a hole in the bottom to let it out, but wanted to check with anyone here in case they had advice/experience.

Thanks!

N

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

There should be a drain hole at the bottom of the door already. Door windows are not waterproof and water on the glass runs down into the food interior. The trim is held on by screws, clips and the door pull handle. Once you have the trim off you will find a polythene membrane. This stops the water getting into the car interior, carefully remove it and make sure you refit it and it is sealed to the door metal before putting the trim back on , or you will get a wet rear floor carpet. Even the smallest hole will let water in.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 NickPGSmith

NickPGSmith

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for that - I'll investigate further based on your info.

Cheers

N

#4 NickPGSmith

NickPGSmith

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

In case this will help someone:

In the end, I didn't need to dissemble the door trim. Eventually I found the drain holes at the bottom of the door - they are between thin door at the bottom, and the rubber seal. There was dirt that came off just by touching and the water flooded out. For good measure I poked in there will a bit of wire.

#5 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:25 AM

Go job there Nick. Just shows that a shiny clean body and glistening window isn't enough. Left those blockages could lead to death by rust.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP