#1 wildbuddylolol

wildbuddylolol

1.8 Desire (2004)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:01 PM

Hi there

I have a 2004 picasso desire. When the sun is out I cannot see  the dashboard . The brightness is on full and all the bulbs are lit as they are new ones and checked.Is it possible to put brighter bulbs in or will it cause a short. 

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,600 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

Putting brighter bulbs will not cause a short but it could overload regulator. Brighter bulbs are if a higher wattage, which heat and therefore they could damage the plastic screens. You need to hunt down some LED bulbs these can/will be brighter and but produce less heat. Draw back with brighter bulbs could be bright spots so you'd need to experiment
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 wildbuddylolol

wildbuddylolol

1.8 Desire (2004)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:25 PM

Thanks Stimulator

#4 rawthey

rawthey

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:26 PM

LEDs are the way to go, but there's some points to bear in mind:

• You need to get ones with LED chips on the sides as well as the end otherwise you'll just have a few bright pools of light on the dash instead of a fairly even coverage.
  • Don't go for high power ones - 0.6W LEDs will be a big improvement on the old filament bulbs
  • LEDs are sensitive to polarity - if a bulb doesn't light remove it, spin round half a turn and try again
  • Some might claim to be CANBUS compatible. If they are then they might have an extra resistor in parallel with the LED chips to ensure they draw enough current to simulate a tungsten bulb. You don't need this and I'd be inclined to avoid them.

You need something like these

led.jpg
There's plenty on Ebay, e.g. https://www.ebay.co....ht bulbs dc 12v

Mike
Xsara Picasso (58) 1.6i 16V Desire, Iron Grey