#1 Go170

Go170

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

Hi All,

Can the immobiliser be bypassed or programmed to be bypassed to get the engine to start again?  Have a 2003 2.0Hdi with starting issues, engine cranks fine, just won't start.  Immobiliser fault on the dashboard and when this is cleared the engine starts (with some smoke) but when the engine is turned off the problem is back again within an hour or two. 

Does this with both keys, swapping out to the backup key makes no difference.

Any thoughts?

+--------------------------+
George

['03 2.0 Hdi Picasso]

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,593 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:20 PM

On my Xsara Picasso it used to do this every so often. Get in car insert key ign on no start. I found after a while just taking the key out and then reinserting fixed it.
I'm the key there is a small passive chip,(passive equals not powered). In the column there is an aerial wire, the chip completes the circuit. Possible that the chip is on way out or the aerial.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 Ozzie

Ozzie

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:25 AM

if you have a immob problem and don't get the 'key left in the ignition ' beeps on both keys,
try a different ring / aerial .

used ones go for less than a tenner on ebay

I have seen disabling services advertised but not cheap , around £150 and involves sending the ecu off

#4 Go170

Go170

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

Thank you for the input. Will try this.

The key with the lock/unlock is new (from factory), that was working 100% for about 6 months.  Used to travel with both keys, if the main doesn't start the car, the spare usually did.  The spare (flat black plastic) key seems to be more 'reliable'.  Switching between keys seems to bring on the "Immobiliser Fault" in the dashboard - then none of the keys would work until the error is cleared.  

The technician's opinion is that it seems that the ECU is losing the coding for the keys, refusing the engine start.

Aerial was looked at / inspected, no obvious issues there, But I'll replace that with one from ebay to check that box. Thanks.

George

['03 2.0 Hdi Picasso]

#5 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:30 AM

A shot in the dark but could something in your pocket be effecting the key, something with a strong magnetic field like a phone, I know hotel room cards do loose the code if in the same pocket as your phone, wondered if this could be the same for other items

#6 Go170

Go170

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

No I doubt it, starting issue me, the missus & three different technicians.

George

['03 2.0 Hdi Picasso]