Photo

Even possible to repair/recharge 04 Xsara Picasso?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 albionsangel

albionsangel

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:00 PM

Hi all,

With summer season approaching, I would love to get my aircon working again. Its been years since it has. I have an 04 reg Automatic Xsara Picasso (with the electric sunroof - one of the reasons I want the aircon back!).

A few years ago, I took it to get recharged, and was told it was impossible as the aircon had a leak. They did not say where.

A couple of years ago, i rang round a couple of aircon garages, and while one offered to patch the hole and tell me the price later (no thanks), another seemed to be very up front with me.

He told me the leak could be simple and cost £20 to fix, or it could be one of the pipes and that it would be thousands. He then said something odd. He said the 04 Picassos used a now illegal refrigerant. This was the only one they could use, and it couldnt be updated. Thus, I could never have working aircon as even if the hole was patched, it couldnt be recharged.

Can anyone comment on this. The RAC website seems to indicate that changes to coolant are as simple as just recharging with the new fluid.

Thanks

• DwaynecymN likes this

#2 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:54 PM

A little while back I had a '53 plate Xpic evacuated and re-gassed without any issues. But if your aircon has not worked for some time it is probably game over- the compressor seals will likely be U/S.

Edited by discv, 19 April 2019 - 04:57 PM.

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)