2 replies to this topic

#1 scrantz

scrantz

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

Help needed, my spare fob needs replacing, it works fine but the buttons are worn and damaged. I bought one from fleabay but the inside wasn't the same as the original (battery and circuit board wouldn't fit)  Has anyone bought a replacement, if so can u give me the link so I can replace mine please . . many thanks

#2 BlackCherry

BlackCherry

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

Hi Scrantz.

I presume you've sorted this by now... Sorry, I've only just seen this post.

There are two styles of fob - assuming yours is a similar 2-button jobbie to mine. One has the battery holder mounted on the actual PCB, and the other has the battery fitted in the opposite half of the fob case and has springy terminals to make contact with the PCB when the two halves are clipped together.

Look a bit further on t'Bay and you'll find both - then choose the right one :-)

You can carefully tap out the existing key blade from its metal swivelling mount using a (I think it was) 2mm drift, an ideal one being the stem of a 2mm drill bit. It's tricky, but if you support the metal mounting part on a firm solid base, but one that will deform - like a piece of hardwood, MDF or similar - you should be able to tap through the securing pin using a small hammer. Annoyingly, the key blade needs to be not quite fully unfolded to expose this pin, so this fiddly job is made more awkward by you having to hold the spring-loaded blade in this semi-position. You might want to contrive something like binding the blade with tape to keep it in this position whilst you do your tapping.

Just make sure the bottom of the blade holder part is fully supported on the block. As the pin is drifted out, it should embed itself in your chosen base - this allows it to be ejected out whilst keeping the metal holder stiff flat on the block, and also keeps the pin secure for recovery and reuse!

Edited by BlackCherry, 27 September 2019 - 07:37 PM.

#3 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:54 PM

Just had a new key cut for £20

Swapped out the gubbins myself - they all fitted right.  As he was local, i could have taken it around for him to sort, if it wasn't right.  

Trowbridge, in Wilts.

Edit:   he was at it a while as it is a hard key to cut.   Lots of different sides, and he kept at it, until it fitted in the door and the ignition.

Edited by gray, 30 September 2019 - 08:56 PM.