6 replies to this topic

#1 mrickle

mrickle

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

hi all, had our c3 picasso 1.6 hdi 8v connexion 3 years now. apart from the power steerig failing 18 months ago, she has been brilliant. however, today she loosed my wife down by failing to start (she had just driven 11 miles to work, stopped engine to unlock gates to car park then it wouldnt start). luckily, I wasn't at work myself until later so I took her my car, and went out armed with tools, multi meter. this was an hour and a half later and it started no problem for me several times. I set off home everything fine got home it wouldn't start. I had no battery warning light on, but as I have never had battery cover off I checked battery out. the negative terminal was caked in crud, and there was a bit on positive. I checked voltage, and it read 12 volts. so I bit the bullet as it was original battery and fitted new one. car starts better than ever, however charge voltage is 13.5/13.7 with nothing switched on, and 13.3/13.4 with everything on. with usual lights heater it averages 13.4v. it hasn't let us down since, and battery reads 12.5/12.7 before starting cold. is the alternator output on the low side does anyone think? ive tried my aunts c3 pic but that has the old 92bhp engine and the alternators and battery are different. that shows 14.4v charging. also if my alternator is duff has anyone changed one on the newer 1.6 hdi 8v engine as I cant work out how I can get it out.

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,579 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:06 PM

Output at idle should be between 13.8 & 14.4 volts within no load.

Does the light ever come ON. Possible that the alternator is ok but the diode pack is faulty. These can be changed.
  • Lancelot likes this
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 mrickle

mrickle

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

thanks stimulator, no only sign of a problem was the fail to start. no warning. wife said that few days previously a cold start was a bit sluggish but as it went normal never thought anything of it. she does 23 miles round trip to work, and until it failed i had no reason to check it. after finding the crud on battery posts im wondering if the establishment thats serviced it has ever touched it as ticked off on checklist! i understand that old battery was more than likely worn out, but after 70k and nearly 8 years im not complaining. it starts fine and has done 200+ miles this week, as she has had meeting in shrewsbury so had a good run too. no battery lights whatsoever. only thing we seem to have is occasional bulbs go usually headlight or brakelight but last 3 pug/cits have all done it. 

looking at it, it looks a real pig to swap alternator and the cost. do you know what swapping the diode pack entails

#4 Avon

Avon

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

I expect it was just the battery, a diesel needs good cranking amps in the cold weather. If the alternator had failed I'm sure you would have known about it by now.

2016 C4 Picasso Flair 1.2 Puretech

#5 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:56 PM

Re my last breakdown; no warning , suddenly into limp mode with ESP flashing on dash, garage diagnostic was a duff alternator, followed by a bad injector after alternator changed, car [c4 pic] running fine now

#6 mrickle

mrickle

1.8 HDI SX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

well thanks folks, it touch wood hasn't let us down, and so must have been old battery on its way out. its still not charging where it should be, but it looks a bit of a pain to change myself. they are a right price too! think ill leave it be, and if it will last another couple of months, get a garage to do it - if it goes to plan will get belt/tensioner changed and timing kit and pump at same time.

#7 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,685 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:54 AM

In most cases it's not the alternator that has failed, it's the diode pack.  A good auto electrician will change it for a fraction of the cost of an alternator.  A gararge will simply replace the alternator at big bucks.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!