7 replies to this topic

#1 chinesederek

chinesederek

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:20 PM

I own a 58 plate C4 Picasso (72000mls)  which I am having problems getting through the mot due to the exhaust emission failure the garage i use which is an independent garage I have been using for many years has had it in three times within a week trying to get the readings low enough for a pass he has put a cleaner additive in the fuel tank several times which has brought the level down but not enough for a pass the guy who owns the garage tells me there is no fault code showing on the computer and on my suggestion of maybe changing the cat/exhaust he told me there is no gaurantee that would work as the computer show that there is no diagnostic fault code coming up and that could be unnecessary  expense. Has anyone else had this problem I would be interested to hear if they have.  Hopfully today it will get a pass as my tax expires at the end of this month and cannot renew it without an Mot. Many thanks Derek

• DwaynecymN likes this

#2 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:48 PM

No doubt you have given it a good thrashing to clean out the exhaust, one of my earlier diesels improved its readings after an oil change

#3 chinesederek

chinesederek

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:56 PM

Thank you for your reply , Yes i did thrash it I live in Southampton and drove twice to Bournemouth and once to Portsmouth each journey there and back about 25 - 40 miles my car has always been well serviced and sailed through the Mot test it is the new level of emission that the Government have set that is causing the problems the guy at the garage said he has had this problem about twenty times since the emission goalpost has changed.

#4 chinesederek

chinesederek

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

Hooray the garage has just phoned me to say it has passed.

• gray likes this

#5 Triumph Guy

Triumph Guy

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:43 AM

I carry out the annual service just prior to the MoT using genuine service parts form the local dealer along with some additive in the tank to clean the fuel system. I always pass the emissions part of the MoT with flying colours.

2008 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL - gradually eliminating the annoying niggles)

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - the classic)

1995 BMW E36 318i (M265 PNC - Project Bimmer)

#6 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,701 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:24 PM

Don't you give it an Italian Tune Up?

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#7 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

Not the dreaded cornetto up the exhaust :}

• Lancelot likes this

#8 Marvin

Marvin

Skoda Yeti SE Greenline II, 1.6TDi, Steel Grey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:22 AM

Not the dreaded cornetto up the exhaust :}

OOOOOH, Matron !!!