3 replies to this topic

#1 Avon

Avon

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:06 PM

In normal driving use I like them, it took some getting used to but now I've come up against a bit of a problem.

I wanted to put the car on some front ramps to remove the undertray and clean up the area. On previous cars I've used clutch control and the handbrake to get up on the ramps slowly without any danger of going too far forward.

Without a conventional handbrake there was a great danger of overshooting once on the top. Don't believe me, try it! I had to use normal jacks in the end, too frightening to drive up the ramps.

OK, I'm a wimp

2016 C4 Picasso Flair 1.2 Puretech

#2 Triumph Guy

Triumph Guy

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:01 PM

Doesn't your Pic hold the brakes on for a few seconds after you take your foot of the pedal when facing uphill? I've managed to get mine up on wheel ramps without any issues.

2008 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL - gradually eliminating the annoying niggles)

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - the classic)

1995 BMW E36 318i (M265 PNC - Project Bimmer)

#3 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:36 PM

Are we talking manual or auto here.

With manual you can keep complete control by using your right foot to control the footbrake and throttle at the same time. Just a bit of practice needed!

But creep control on the auto is near impossible- even on level ground. That said, it can be done by co-ordinating foot brake and throttle. I need to use this method to ease my auto forward onto the car wash conveyor track.

There is a big plus for this 'clutch slipping' method on the auto-it also solves the juddery clutch issue without resorting to the Italian tune up.

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#4 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:48 PM

Loved the auto-handbrake and hill start assist until the day my car decided to go into limp mode, the recovery guy wanted to use suspended tow with the front wheels raised off the road, the easiest remedy to do this was to run the engine to stop the handbrake actuating until we reached the garage