5 replies to this topic

#1 Purplepiglet

Purplepiglet

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:19 PM

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. Yesterday my fan stopped working.I checked the fuse, which was OK, so the next obvious thing would be to replace the resistor. But where exactly is it?

I've looked on the internet and there are various parts listed. I've removed the interior trim and glove box but I'm not sure what I'm looking for anyway.

Has anyone replaced one of these and can they point me in the right direction?

The car is a 2011 Exclusive with dual zone climate control.

The fan has actually started to work again but I'd like to know how to change the resistor if it starts playing up again.

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:38 PM

The usual place is in the duct where the fan is, reasoning for this is that the resistors get very hot and the airflow in the heater duct keeps them cool. Now having said that the resistor pack for auto Aircon is not the same as for manual system but I believe it to still be in the air duct. Have a look in the Technical section for MK1 MK2 and then go to FAQs. Section and iirc there is s post in there.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:54 AM

In the Auto AC system, the resistor is housed in the back of the fan motor. It's accessed from the passenger footwell.

#4 Purplepiglet

Purplepiglet

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's really bugging me now. I took the interior trim off but couldn't see anything that looked like the resistors I've seen on the internet. I tried starting the motor just to make sure everything else seemed ok and the fan was working normally, so I replaced all of the trim. This morning I went out in it and the fan wasn't working again, then after a few miles it suddenly kicked in again and was working normally again when I got home. I'm going to have another look at the fuse tomorrow just to make sure that there isn't a bad connection or faulty fuse. If that isn't the problem I'll be delving into the fan housing to see if I can find the resistor.

#5 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:21 AM

The problem is with these resistors that they get hot, doing Thier job, which eventually causes a week point at a joint. That fractures. Now the end is left dangling and as you drive along the vibration can cause the two ends to meet when they do they can weld together again and the fan runs. When you stop the resistor cold and the joint breaks hence no fan running next time. My bet will.bs the resistor pack in the duct is at fault. Iirc it's on the right where the wires enter the unit not behind the trim.but in the duct.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#6 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:32 AM

Just noticed this is the C3 section,... so my answer above is probably not relevant, unless they kept the same fit as the Xsara for the blower....