9 replies to this topic

#1 GEOBRAD

GEOBRAD

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:51 PM

54 plate pic has just failed Mot with both door sills corroded and rear seat belt buggered!!! £450 too fix it all!! thoughts people

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Lancelot the Beak now with a Kia Venga petrol Auto Type 3.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts
  • Interests:Computing. Grand Prix Motor Racing, Holidays in Western Australia each year, for 3 months.
    Red wine and Whisky, more Red Wine & Whisky.

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:46 PM

If the rest of the car is good, and you like it fix it.  If not it's off to the scrap yard and you have to start again, only you can choose. And you may face the same problems again with what replaces it, it's a gamble.

The retired Beak with a 2ltr Petrol, Exclusive, Automatic, Picasso.
Arctic Steel - of course!

#3 GEOBRAD

GEOBRAD

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:04 PM

If the rest of the car is good, and you like it fix it.  If not it's off to the scrap yard and you have to start again, only you can choose. And you may face the same problems again with what replaces it, it's a gamble.

#4 GEOBRAD

GEOBRAD

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:10 PM

rest of the car is ok!!!been a sturdy work horse for the past 8 years plus and i know she has more in her!! just wisnae sure of the quote?? in this and age!!!

#5 Marvin

Marvin

Skoda Yeti SE Greenline II, 1.6TDi, Steel Grey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:26 PM

Considering the fact that the cheapest garage labour is over £50 per hour  (main dealers nearer £100 ph),  and you've got to have two old sills cut out and two new ones supplied,  prepared, welded in and painted,  plus supply and fit new seatbelt,  I reckon £450 is good value.  But its always a problem with an older vehicle that repairs can cost a fair proportion of the car's value. At 14 years old, is it worth doing?.... only you can answer that.  At least you know the car's history,  and therefore what else may be about to go wrong with it.  But I doubt if it'll be worth more than £500 even after you've had it fixed.

"Life? Don't talk to me about life....."

#6 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:39 AM

Go for it, better the devil you know

#7 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:18 PM

Not a lot of options here- you won't find a 54 plate replacement car with a known history for 450........

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#8 Ozzie

Ozzie

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:14 PM

keep it going , especially if it's a 2.0 HDI . , a good engine in a very practical car

it's not easy buying a replacement , the used car market is full of cars traded in because of problems. 

I doubt if the complete sills will have to be replaced , usually just the front 18 inches or so needs plating.

Get a quote from a small garage , save money by doing the stone chip and rattle can spray job yourself. 

#9 GEOBRAD

GEOBRAD

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:31 PM

cheers peeps for your advice, picked her back up last night as was said better the devil you know!!!

#10 Tim-Dieselx

Tim-Dieselx

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:05 PM

look for an panel beater, i had somone weld 2 sills and replace the panels on mine for £120