5 replies to this topic

#1 Tim-Dieselx

Tim-Dieselx

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 01:49 PM

hi all, changed my rear brakes and 1 rear cylinder, putting it all back on and as i dident seal the resivour all the fluid came out.

following the Haynes manual; procedure for refilling and starting on the rear right 1st io cant get any fluid out.

i tried a 1 man bleeding kit but brakes are spongy.

i then tried a vacuum kit directly on the nipple ( nope ) then directly on to the pipe into the caliper. ( still nope)

maximum pressure on the vacuum pump and still no fluid or very very little.

but lost on what to do next, any suggestions as i have been at this for days with no recourse.

EDIT, thinking of taking of and bench bleeding the master cylinder just to be sure.,

Edited by Tim-Dieselx, 29 September 2018 - 01:57 PM.

#2 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:19 PM

Wonder if you need to have engine running, just a thought

#3 Tim-Dieselx

Tim-Dieselx

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:23 PM

well i spent a few more hours diagnosing.

i took if master cylinder, and tried the vacuum pump on the rear pipe( at the master cylinder), and a pot of fluid attached to the rear caliper :-nothing.

so i took off all the popes on the abs pump and attached a vaccum pipe directly to the rear line and did the same. after 30 units of pressure fluid got pulled from the rear wheel but there was black bits in it so im assuming there was dirt in the line.

refitted the abs pump and tried pulling fluid again from the rear wheel and it worked , then did the same with the line that feeds to the master cylinder, all fine and fluid is now flowing. so tomorow i will refit the master cylinder and bleed it. then see if i can get it to work.  so annoying but argh a 2 hour job turned into a 2 day job. ffs

#4 gittos

gittos

1.6 Blue HDi EAT6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:46 AM

I think I read somewhere (a long time ago) that you need to use Lexia to open the ports in the ABS to bleed the brakes properly
  • Was - 2002 1.6 Petrol Picasso SX     Then -2009 C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 VTI Petrol   Then- 2015 C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue HDi EAT6 Exclusive   Now..2018 C4 Picasso 1.2 PureTech Feel EAT6

#5 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:50 PM

Understood that you have to use a pressure fed system on ABS fitted cars. Engine off do not touch the pedal or the ABS unit triggers and fluid doesn't flow out the nipples.

Edited by stimulator, 30 September 2018 - 08:51 PM.

17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#6 Tim-Dieselx

Tim-Dieselx

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:23 PM

yeah i got it with a vaccum pump, had to take off and replace the master cylinder seems there was a intermittent problem there.

problem i had was i had to replace the back calipers on both sides as the bleed nipples both broke off. 12 years on the car.

got the spare parts again today will refit tomorow