• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Retired TD

Retired TD

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Since retiring I have taken up photography, I also enjoy gardening and DIY.

My wife and I have recently rejoined the National Trust so now we can plan our holidays to include interesting visits to UK properties.

Posted 21 September 2018 - 02:46 PM

Good afternoon,

I have just fitted a Next Base 312GW Dash Cam to our Picasso C3 12plate.

I wired it through the cigarette lighter circuit as described by Next Base and it is working just fine, my question is...

...would I be advised to 'Hard Wire' this item?

...if so - How best to rewire - Fuse Box or?

Thank you...

#2 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:24 PM

You can get a complete hard wire kit from Halfrauds- or ebay or half the price. It comes with piggy back spade connectors- you just need to find a permanently live fuse e.g. central locking. 

• Retired TD likes this

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2008)

#3 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:01 PM

Whilst on the subject, the wifi connectivity of the 312 is a gimmick-it takes for ever to download anything.

The GPS feature is not essential.

That takes us back to the cheaper, frill free. 212.

Both models need the G sensor wound back in the menu- with our potholed roads the camera thinks it it is involved in a permanent car crash and locks up the footage. The optional polarising lens improves things a lot. 

• Retired TD likes this

#4 Ronat42

Ronat42

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Looking after SWMBO suffering from Myeloma since 2010.
    Thinking about all the things I should be doing and then finding reasons to put them off.

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:31 AM

Re the connecting point - try the interior light top centre of windscreen. There should be a permanent live for the switchable interior lights and it is convenient for the cam mounting position. If you have some technical ability you can get a small pcb from ebay (far east) which will convert 12V to 5V and possibly hide in the fitting.

Edited by Ronat42, 04 October 2018 - 10:34 AM.

• Retired TD likes this

#5 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:25 AM

Re the connecting point - try the interior light top centre of windscreen. There should be a permanent live for the switchable interior lights and it is convenient for the cam mounting position. If you have some technical ability you can get a small pcb from ebay (far east) which will convert 12V to 5V and possibly hide in the fitting.

https://www.amazon.c...words=12v to 5v

:)

• Retired TD likes this

#6 Ronat42

Ronat42

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
    Thinking about all the things I should be doing and then finding reasons to put them off.

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:23 PM

Gray, that's neat but I was thinking about a pcb about 2.5cm x 3.5cm at about £1 which needs to be adjusted and then connected in by hand hence the "technical ability". It's small enough to hide and leave a lead a few cm long enough to connect to the cam in the usual position up by the mirror. There are probably even smaller options. OK if you can do it but probably best to stick to the commercial stuff. Sadly, being tall, anything in that area tends to just add to the stuff that blocks my all round visibility so I use one of those rubber backed pads that allows me to sit it on the dash and I have found a cam which allows me to invert the image to allow me to do this. It also means I can just lift it off to deter smash and grab attempts. I've already had 3 smashed windows and lost 3 sat navs because the ungodly have spotted the suction marks. 

Perhaps that last comment is a good argument against hard wiring.

Edited by Ronat42, 05 October 2018 - 10:27 PM.

• Retired TD likes this

#7 Retired TD

Retired TD

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Since retiring I have taken up photography, I also enjoy gardening and DIY.

My wife and I have recently rejoined the National Trust so now we can plan our holidays to include interesting visits to UK properties.

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:54 PM

Many thank for your input(s)  Discv - Gray - Ronat42.

You all have made very good suggestions, for and against 'hard-wiring' and I can see the temptation to 'smash and grab' the 'dash cam'  and it would be the inconvenience, time and expense that would be caused by a smashed screen.

My sat nav I would never leave in the vehicle unattended so I am beginning to favour the same for the dash cam.

Kind regards to all of you for your comments and I appreciate them.

#8 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,522 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:34 AM

One had to ask why in this day and age of sat Nav, dash cams etc. Why don't the makers put a power point in the rear view mirror. It could be s mini two pin socket and sat Nav dash cams could be supplied with required short lead.
  • gray and Retired TD like this
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#9 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:01 AM

One had to ask why in this day and age of sat Nav, dash cams etc. Why don't the makers put a power point in the rear view mirror. It could be s mini two pin socket and sat Nav dash cams could be supplied with required short lead.

What a good idea. Would save having to find a way of getting cables past side air bags etc. on the way to the top of the screen.

Mind you, Halfrauds would be a bit miffed at losing all those fitting charges!

• Retired TD likes this

#10 Ronat42

Ronat42

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:34 AM

I think this has already been done in a few odd models along with the fitting of a camera in the place where the headlight/wiper sensors go. This sort of thing makes a lot more sense than the downright dangerous development of touch screens to replace knobs and switches. These displays can be very difficult to read in strong sunlight and the need for multiple and sometimes complex sequences of touching/pressing or whatever is for kiddies with nothing better to do. The need to hold a conversation with a computer to switch the headlights on is in much the same league. They introduced computers to control the heating systems and that just made life a lot more difficult - and dangerous.

Oops! I said I would shut up. Anyway, I have now disposed of my C3 Pic and looking for a local classic car event for my next motor. At least other drivers still treat classics with some respect.

Edited by Ronat42, 10 October 2018 - 09:40 AM.

• granpa, discv and Retired TD like this

#11 discv

discv

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:21 AM

I hope you keep us updated on the classic car you would like to get hold of.

#12 Ronat42

Ronat42

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

I rather fancy a Humber Super Snipe Attached File  Really nice.jpg   633.91KB   0 downloads which I drove for about 10 years from the mid '60s but at 12-15 mpg I don't think that would be a particularly suitable choice. To be practical a viable option would be a non-classic MK1 or MK2 Galaxy which served me well for well over a 300,000 miles and used less fuel than the later (more fuel efficient???) model. However, anything with non-black interior and switches that go "clunk" but without most of the considered essential stuff by most manufacturers like computer controlled everything and suspension which lends more to high speed chases than comfort on long journeys at legal speeds. The two most memorable would be the Triumph 2.5 PI and the BMW 525  C 1990 (E35?). 

Edited by Ronat42, 15 October 2018 - 09:15 AM.

• discv likes this