4 replies to this topic

#1 fastbysuzuki

fastbysuzuki

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:31 AM

The car is a 2013 model hdi presently done 28000 I have had the car since new the rear discs were changed under warrenty when it had done 5000 they were in a disgusting state since then every M.O.T they have mentioned that the rears were (as they say showing signs of wear) citroen wanted £300+ to change them
I said what's the point they will be as bad in 6 months time anyway I have changed front and back discs and pads got the lot for £122 changing the front is very straight forward the rears a little more difficult due to needing a brake rewind tool to wind the pistons back in a clockwise direction got the kit off eBay £15 well worth it and not bad quality (how do they do it)
I must point out that I live very close to the sea was wondering if anyone else has encountered a problem with rear discs?

Attached Files

#2 gittos

gittos

1.6 Blue HDi EAT6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:48 PM

The problem with rear discs is that they only provide a fraction of the total braking, so if you are a careful driver and only brake gently (and only cover a small mlieage as you seem to do) then the discs are liable to suffer corrosion as yours seem to have, especially in a sea side environment

• Was - 2002 1.6 Petrol Picasso SX     Then -2009 C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 VTI Petrol   Then- 2015 C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue HDi EAT6 Exclusive   Now..2018 C4 Picasso 1.2 PureTech Feel EAT6

#3 Marvin

Marvin

Skoda Yeti SE Greenline II, 1.6TDi, Steel Grey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:14 PM

Fully agree with dittos' comments.  And I would add that,  provided the brakes are stopping the car properly,  it really doesn't matter what the discs look like;  with very light use like yours the rear discs hardly get touched under braking,  as all the work is done by the front ones...... so they never polish off the corrosion,  and it just gets worse and worse.  All that matters is that the car pulls up safely,  straight and even.  The garage will try to get you to replace the discs  (its more work going their way!)  but if in all honesty the brakes stop the car properly everything is hunky dory.

"Life? Don't talk to me about life....."

#4 fastbysuzuki

fastbysuzuki

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:55 PM

Yes thanks for the replies, my wife mainly drives the car and she is no Louis Hamilton that's for sure the car did pull up well but on last M.O.T there was an advisory that there was a slight discrepancy between the read brakes. They have just completed a £63,000000 sea defence scheme so I am hoping it will listen then amount of salt in the air.

#5 Avon

Avon

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:55 PM

Constantly very light braking glazes the discs, drum rear brakes are more appropriate for most drivers using these types of cars but discs sound better in sales literature.

I doubt the sea air is a major contributing factor, if it is affecting only a couple of the four surfaces then a slightly siezed caliper piston could be the culprit.

2016 C4 Picasso Flair 1.2 Puretech