22 replies to this topic

#1 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:33 PM

I hope this doesn't seem too daft a question, but what is the purpose of the 'spot' at the top of the glass in the rear view mirror. I'm guessing it's a sensor of some description but I can't find any mention of it in the user manual. I actually find it very annoying, because it's in the line of sight and makes me go cross-eyed and feel as if I have spots in front of my eyes whenever I look into the mirror.

#2 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:31 AM

I'd imagine it is for auto-dimming ...  

https://www.whatcar....ing-owning/  

#3 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:55 AM

It says, "This page isn't working – www.whatcar.com redirected you too many times"

I'll take your word for it. It really annoys me, but as nobody else has mentioned it, perhaps it's just me. People might start noticing it now though.  :lol:

#4 Avon

Avon

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:49 PM

It's a light sensor. In fact there is also a forward looking one too.

With the ignition on, block the forward looking one with your finger (to simulate nightime) while shining a torch at the spot you describe and you will see the the mirror darken.

Very clever, and expensive if it ever needs replacing, but effective in reducing dazzle from following vehicles without having to flip a lever as in the olden days!

2016 C4 Picasso Flair 1.2 Puretech

#5 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:36 PM

Yes it's auto dipping. The dot senses the car behind. You light brightness and changed the colour of the mirror,.photochromic.
There is one of these on my new C3 saloon. It works well. However like you I do not like the dot in my line of sight. To get out if this I adjust the mirror so that the view in it is such that the dot is in the reflection of the rear roof lining. This way it's not annoying.
  • PJS54 likes this
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#6 Ronat42

Ronat42

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Looking after SWMBO suffering from Myeloma since 2010.
    Thinking about all the things I should be doing and then finding reasons to put them off.

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:22 PM

It's just another "improvement" that we should all be better off without. 

#7 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:14 AM

It's a standard fit on cars in USA. it works so why knock it, no dazzle from behind would be nice if the wing mirrors did the same thing especially as with some cars extra bright lights these days.
Another good addition on my C3 is a blind spot monitor. These are small orange LEDs in the wing mirrors and warn when a car is in the blind spot. It also has a fatigue timer which warns that you have not had a rest)stop period for 3 hours, maybe not too important for you but handy oh and there is also the lane departure warning, this operated if you stray across the white line without moving the wheel by a certain amount or signalling, i.e. intentionally. Handy for those who don't feed the fatigue warning.
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#8 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:16 AM

By far the best thing is cruise control, set it and get in back seat for a sleep or food.
Yes that was a joke.

#9 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:42 PM

Too complicated and more to go wrong, Citroen are not renown for reliable electrics, its time they looked at Dacia offering the options the buyer thinks the want for their needs

#10 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:33 PM

Come grandpa the man walking in front with red flag went out years ago.

#11 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:07 PM

Quite right, now its an endless sea of red traffic lights for road works, The men with red flags are warning drivers of the deep pot holes

#12 Ronat42

Ronat42

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
    Thinking about all the things I should be doing and then finding reasons to put them off.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:23 PM

The problem with a lot of this stuff is that it does not have an override option. If I want the mirror dimmed, I dim it. Most of the time I can see more without dimming it. My Galaxy has a similar device and reversing in the dark is a nightmare because it hides the reversing lights. It has auto wipers with no override so I just keep flicking the switch when I need it. It has a trip computer which needs me to go into a menu system to see a different piece of information. The C3 pic trip computer has a 5 second display - Bl00dy insane! The biggest distraction is fighting computers to keep control. You don't even need a computer with multiple buttons to have a perfectly good climate control - just 3 knobs and a bit of analogue circuitry.

Give me switches and knobs that I can use without taking my eyes off the road and leave the computer to manage the engine and nothing else. That way it can't do too much to interfere with safe driving. As far as touch screens and menu systems are concerned, they are more dangerous than using a phone. 

Edited by Ronat42, 03 October 2018 - 06:31 PM.

• granpa likes this

#13 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:15 PM

Spot on, I want to enjoy driving the car, flicking switches, adjusting knobs, sliding levers, I dont want everything automated

Edited by granpa, 03 October 2018 - 07:17 PM.

#14 Ronat42

Ronat42

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:16 PM

Granpa, we are among the few who remember wing mirrors which had no blind spots and allowed us to see all around the car without taking our eyes off the road ahead to move our head through 90 degrees to look at each mirror in turn  and when you switched something on  it came on and stayed on until you switched it off and you knew it had come on because the switch clicked and you could feel it on without taking your eyes off the road or looking at a digital display somewhere inconvenient. Also, when having good all round vision was more important than intrusions as a result of some NCAP ruling and it wasn't necessary to keep bobbing your head from side to side to see what was in front of you when going round a right hand bend.

Safety, don't talk to me about safety!

Oh, and when interiors were pleasantly coloured and not upholstered in something akin to black velcro so passengers could relax and enjoy the ride without being afraid of the next little road imperfection. Mind, I never did enjoy those plastic seats but at least they were not distorted by someone's perverted idea of how the human anatomy should be supported while going around blind bends at insane speeds.

And, what does all of this to do with some issue with a rear view mirror. Well, nothing really so I'll get off and annoy someone else. 

• PJS54 likes this

#15 Avon

Avon

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:09 AM

The door mirrors on my car have orange lights within that light when another vehicle is in the blind spot. Rather then all the electronics associated with the system why not just design the mirrors so there isn't a blind spot!

• Ronat42 and granpa like this

2016 C4 Picasso Flair 1.2 Puretech

#16 Ronat42

Ronat42

18 HDI LX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:27 AM

That is too easy - or perhaps not, due to the design of modern cars. As mentioned in my earlier post we used to have wing mirrors which were outlawed supposedly due to possible hazard to pedestrians but more likely as part of the reshaping of car bodies. I was driving during the period door mirrors were introduced and driving became much more dangerous during this period and the associated hazard factor has not changed since as drivers seem to work on the principle that if they can't see you you are not there or in some cases they don't really care. 

#17 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:46 AM

Slightly back to the interior mirror, did you ever try the clip on panoramic mirror, this was fantastic, there were no blind spots at all down each side of the car, trouble was the sun visors caught it and it didnt dip

#18 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:30 AM

Wing mirrors that eliminate blind spots are convex to give that field of view. That by its nature makes objects appear further away. This causes a problemthat some drivers will pull out without a second thought as they think the car behind us further away.if you look at USA car wing mirrors which are usually convex written on them is warning, objects in the mirror maybe closer than they appear.
With the inability of some drivers to even see beyond their cars front bumper and no ability to think ahead safety devices are a necessity.

#19 granpa

granpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:36 AM

With the inability of some drivers to even see beyond their cars front bumper and no ability to think ahead safety devices are a necessity.

So you have experienced our local taxi drivers then

But the more 'safety' devices the less attention the driver needs to use, I dont agree with many

Edited by granpa, 05 October 2018 - 09:38 AM.

#20 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:42 AM

Or just stick them on like in the old days  :)

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B071G7TT7W