4 replies to this topic

#1 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:33 PM

I hope this doesn't seem too daft a question, but what is the purpose of the 'spot' at the top of the glass in the rear view mirror. I'm guessing it's a sensor of some description but I can't find any mention of it in the user manual. I actually find it very annoying, because it's in the line of sight and makes me go cross-eyed and feel as if I have spots in front of my eyes whenever I look into the mirror.

#2 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:31 AM

I'd imagine it is for auto-dimming ...  

https://www.whatcar....ing-owning/  

#3 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:55 AM

It says, "This page isn't working – www.whatcar.com redirected you too many times"

I'll take your word for it. It really annoys me, but as nobody else has mentioned it, perhaps it's just me. People might start noticing it now though.  :lol:

#4 Avon

Avon

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:49 PM

It's a light sensor. In fact there is also a forward looking one too.

With the ignition on, block the forward looking one with your finger (to simulate nightime) while shining a torch at the spot you describe and you will see the the mirror darken.

Very clever, and expensive if it ever needs replacing, but effective in reducing dazzle from following vehicles without having to flip a lever as in the olden days!

2016 C4 Picasso Flair 1.2 Puretech

#5 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,509 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:36 PM

Yes it's auto dipping. The dot senses the car behind. You light brightness and changed the colour of the mirror,.photochromic.
There is one of these on my new C3 saloon. It works well. However like you I do not like the dot in my line of sight. To get out if this I adjust the mirror so that the view in it is such that the dot is in the reflection of the rear roof lining. This way it's not annoying.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP