3 replies to this topic

#1 hoss

hoss

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:46 PM

I have a 52 HDI Picasso diesel exclusive which has ~ 180K on the clock.

I had a load whine from the gearbox at 45 - 50 mph so i got a replacement gearbox for £100 from a similar age Picasso which was in good condition and only had done 60K.

I think the gearbox is ok - certainly much better than original one but I now have difficulty getting the stick into 1st and 2nd gear - especially 2nd when coming down from 3rd. Higher gears are fine and normal.

However, I think the problem may be due to the linkage as when moving in neutral the stick seems to bottom out hard and makes a clunk noise on the metal mount when moved to the far left. It wasn't like that previously as it had a bit of slop in all the gears.

Asked the garage and he thinks there is no way to adjust the linkage.

Any advice on this - is there a simple method to adjust the left/right linkage to tighten it up so it goes into 1st and 2nd more easily?

Or alternatively is there a way to get some more clearance on the stick mechanism on this axis so the stick doesn't bottom out?

Or is this just a gearbox issue with 2nd gear?

If no simple way I can live with the sticky gear - still fine to drive but just a bit annoying going into 2nd.

Apart from this issue - car is going great. Engine just brilliant - never had any issues with it hence why I have kept the car for over 10 years.

#2 granpa

granpa

started with this beauty in '02 now got white c4 pic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • Interests:winding down and cruising to avoid my grown up kids who have diy jobs for me

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:28 AM

Believe there is adjustment for linkage, ask at another garage

#3 hoss

hoss

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:01 PM

Checking on some posts and picked up that it should be able to adjust the gear linkages - however no details.

Anybody know how to do this on a 2002 HDI ?

#4 hoss

hoss

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

Found out how to do this...

Remove the air filter and inlet to get access and pop off the left hand gear linkage by pushing the button and lifting off.

There is a clip just below the link which can be removed by flipping over and levering it off with a couple of small screwdrivers.

A bit awkward to do as space is limited.

Moving the linkages end back by a few millimetres to tighten up and refitted the retaining clip.

There is not much play between 1st and 5th so has to be centred properly as could affect both high/low gears.

Left the right hand linkage alone as it was ok - refitted air filter and good to go.