17 replies to this topic

#1 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

In more ways than one. I've always found it intensely irrtating, even though some will say that's exactly what it's supposed to be. However, it has now started going off at random while I'm driving, sometimes continuing non-stop for about five miles before stopping – then sometimes starting up again. 

There must be a pressure sensor under the seat (at least under the passenger seats – perhaps it assumes that if the car has started the driver must be present) and there are two thick wires under the seat, plus a thinner one attached to a connector block. Are these relevant to the seat belt alarm, and if so, which one is it and are there any dire consequences of disconnecting it? Alternatively, is there a hidden menu option somewhere to disable it?

#2 stimulator

stimulator

1.6 Cherry Red Metallic, wonder car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts
  • Interests:Model trains OO gauge. C3 Picasso, Grandchildren

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:37 PM

Not one hundred % sure but IIRC it's a pressure switch. In the west,vdrivers as well. How ever as they usually default to danger the cutting the lead will cause it to default danger (open) so it will go off all the time.
17 Reg C3 Saloon Flair 1.2 110BHP
Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#3 gray

gray

1.8 HDI Exclusive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

There will be sensor in the seat and the seatbelt fixing.  Maybe the seatbelt one is a bit sticky ? 

#4 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

I found several questions about this on Google, but began to dismay at the number of replies from sanctimonious smart-Alecs who hadn't bothered to read the question properly saying simply, 'do your seatbelt up'.

However, I do now realise that it is probably being caused by a loose wire, so that by disconnecting it, it will be left in a 'permanently on' position. I did notice last night, with the engine still running while the car was stationary, it stopped beeping when I opened the driver's door. I think that would only be temporary though. It is actually quite a problem, because the noise certainly works by making you put your seatbelt on, but when it starts up at random when the car is being driven it is seriously distracting. I will try to get under the seat later to see if I can spot anything obvious, although it doesn't look easy to get at.

#5 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:44 AM

Isn't this a two part warning. There is a sensor under the seat that is there to sense an occupant. But the alarm if triggered is silenced by the inserting of the seatbelt buckle tongue in the buckle body. So I'd look there, when alarm sounds when you don't expect it wiggle the buckle and see if it stops the sound. Possible the micro switch in the buckle body is intermittent easier to change that than other parts I'd have thought.

Previous Xsara Picasso 20HDi, C3 SX 1.4HDi, C3 SX 1.6HDI, C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+ EGS 62 Reg C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDi 92BHP

#6 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:44 PM

Be assured I've tried the wiggle test, which doesn't silence it, even temporarily. I wouldn't have thought a pressure sensor would be necessary under the driver's seat, as the car can't drive itself. I'll have to take it to a Citroen service centre, but it's very inconvenient so I was hoping to avoid that. I'll report back on the outcome, for the benefit of anyone else who might have this problem in furture.

#7 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

Damn – it's something that I'd have to book the car in for and leave it with them, which is incredibly inconvenient at the moment as it's 15 miles away.

Edited by PJS54, 28 August 2018 - 12:57 PM.

#8 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:29 PM

I've just tried this. It didn't actually work as intended, because just after pulling away I momentarily disengaged the seatbelt and the alarm sounded, only to switch off when I pushed it back in. Perhaps it's just coincidence, but I then drove it about five miles without it coming on again. The trouble is that it's so unpredictable.

#9 stimulator

stimulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,532 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:37 PM

On my new C3 saloon after I had had it for 6 mths the handbrake light when it was ON would go off and was to say the least announcing. Releasing the handbrake and pulling it back on would sometimes fix it for a few days. Eventuality I took it back. The garage diagnosed the microswitch. Sometimes it stayed in the open position handbrake on but occasionally it would default to off. It was changed and it fixed it.
Try putting the belt tongue of the passenger belt in your buckle and vice versa. Drive with it like that and see what happens.

#10 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:27 PM

Try putting the belt tongue of the passenger belt in your buckle and vice versa. Drive with it like that and see what happens.

That was one of the first things I did. :D I wouldn't expect that to work because if the fault is there, it would be in the part than receives the buckle. I'll be amazed if that trick has actually fixed it, so I'll be nervously driving around waiting for it to start up again.

#11 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:18 PM

I thought I'd try buckling up every seatbelt in the car, just to see if that made any difference. Then I found that I couldn't, because the buckle for the rear seat on the driver's side (the bottom one) won't click into its holder. 

seatbelts.jpg

Edited by PJS54, 19 October 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#12 gittos

gittos

1.6 Blue HDi EAT6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:10 PM

The red release button on that belt retainer appears to be on the the wrong side. when the buckle is fastened into it you won't easily be able to get to rhe button as the belt will be over it, althhough I haven't seen  a C3P rear seat :unsure:

• Was - 2002 1.6 Petrol Picasso SX     Then -2009 C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 VTI Petrol   Then- 2015 C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue HDi EAT6 Exclusive   Now..2018 C4 Picasso 1.2 PureTech Feel EAT6

#13 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:21 PM

I see what you mean, but I think I must have twisted it when testing all the possible combinations. The buckle with two holes is slightlt off-set, whereas all the others are flat. It must have been a Spam-up at the factory, although I'm surprised nobody has already noticed it. I've contacted Citroen about it and had what I thought was a very dismissive reply from their customer care manager, although one of their other, more conscientious customer service staff is responding in a far more appropriate manner and is following it up for me.

Thank you Marcus; thank you Dan. Sorry to have taken up so much of your valuable time Amy.

Edited by PJS54, 19 October 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#14 gittos

gittos

1.6 Blue HDi EAT6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:58 PM

Attached File  media.jpg   225.39KB   0 downloads

Does yours look like this?

• Was - 2002 1.6 Petrol Picasso SX     Then -2009 C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6 VTI Petrol   Then- 2015 C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue HDi EAT6 Exclusive   Now..2018 C4 Picasso 1.2 PureTech Feel EAT6

#15 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:35 PM

attachicon.gifmedia.jpg

Does yours look like this?

I'm now starting to get brainache. This is what it's supposed to look like.

seatbelts%202.jpg

But this is what is actually looks like. That seatbelt buckle on the left side of the photo is just wedged between the seat cushions, as there's nowhere to plug it in at all. I'll have to llook under the seats to see if anything's slipped out of sight, although there's no visible trace of any other anchors.

p.s. The distortion in entirely due to my 20mm lens and the shadow is because I couldn't be bothered to find some charged up batteries for the extending flash.

seatbelts%203.jpg

Edited by PJS54, 19 October 2018 - 07:39 PM.

#16 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:00 PM

Halleluja! And there we have the answer to the problem and I only feel slightly stupid. I folded the seats forward and there it was – the missing seat belt connection, dangling down under the seat, but until then completely invisible. What's more, all the buckles now have a working receptacle. 

Of course, there's still the problem of the errant seatbelt alarm, which shouldn't have been affected by this in any way. I'll try driving around with everything buckled up for a few days, although you shouldn't have to do this.

#17 Purplepiglet

Purplepiglet

16 LX Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:49 PM

Rear seat belt warning started going off randomly on a journey back home on the motorway. I pulled in at a service area and bounced up and down on the seat a few times. It hasn't gone off again since.

#18 PJS54

PJS54

16 LX Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:40 PM

I thought I'd better to update this to report that since retrieving the hidden buckle from under the seat I haven't had a single recurrence. I can't think of any logical way that this would have affected it, but who cares? At least it's solved the problem. The only thing is, that just to make sure, I've left all the back seat belts buckled up. I'll undo them all to see if it makes any difference, but even if I have to resort to doing them up again it's a small price to pay to be free of that infernal beeping.